self harm in the UK

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
self harm in the UK

Last week scots orgs done surveys and found high levels of goths involved in self harm behaviour and once again just spoke about young girls.

I would also like to know what catholics and muslims hindus and everyone else who live sint he UK in a religious context and non religious context including ex offenders to think about this if they have any knowledge.

I have been trying to get feedback from ST Peters in Partick about opening some kind of local self harm group but had the door slammed in my face with ignorant view points thrown to me.

This was after i helped these people work there soup kitchen and even serve there older people food at an event. This disguted me like there attitude taken towards me.

Nothing is till being done in Glasgow and everything is revolving around young female. Professionals are coming out of university proclaiming they have the answer when they do not, as can be seen by the lack of services.

AA worked for alcholcis NA worked for drug addicts SHA can work for older people affected by self harm, i propose.

I propose a group of people in the UK led by myself could sit down and formulate one of these groups and possibly have a test run in the Partick community center in west Glasgow, an area highly affceted by self harm yet which has no self harm groups The center which recieves high amounts of lottery money, therefore have to open up the idea.

The nhs in scotland is not combatting this problem and counsellors do not what they are doing. They are only guessing in most cases and well you know my problems with the samaritans.

I am looking for responsable replys i belive it can work. But it is hard getting to the right people as everywere the female voic eis juts being heard which is wrong

The group should try to encompass a representitive of every religion based in the UK, non religious people, the genders, an exoffender and an assortment of ages from 16 - 70.

The group should ideally should be about 12 people with myself as the chairperson due to my long years and research involved in these issues but in no-way am i some sort of controller of it.

The binding issue is self harm and all should have some kind of history of self harm behaviour. Sorry i would have put this post on a self harm web site but i find the UK one over run by white british females usually young adolescents and which only distorts the truth of what is happening and who is really suffering.

The group if successful would have no religious or unethical direction.

anyone

*sorry for the typos*

SHA clearing our minds a national led forum to stop the introduction of safe self harm but to empower those who are having difficulties of all ages and religions to have access to local services through out the UK during evenings so they can speak in confidence to each other about how not to cut and burn SHA clearing our minds

stephen

Like aa and na but wihtout anykind of one religious direction. It would take ground work to get it right and to explore all the avenues but eventually it could happen and would take the same course as AA and NA in the way that meeting places would be there every night of the week. Surely the initial idea is worth backing. It would take sponsorship and avenue were we would meet once a week in the UK the first 13 involved in the pilot group to iron out the strategy. They said not to AA and NA these two groups have went on to empower millions of people around the world and continually to do so on a daily basis.

stephen

Hi Stephen, I think a 12 step approach is a good idea http://www.selfmutilatorsanonymous.org/ there are also online meetings here but it is unfortunate that you haven't been able to find a local meeting. Just one small point..."Like aa and na but wihtout anykind of one religious direction" As per the AA preamble "AA is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution..." good luck jude "Cacoethes scribendi" http://www.judesworld.net

Topic locked