ABCtales and The Big Issue

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
ABCtales and The Big Issue

Take a look at the news on the Front Page - and get writing!

Amazing! Nice one Tony. What a coup. And a small payment too. That's astonishing. I doff my hat to you, sir. So who has been hoarding all their hundred word masterpieces? Now's the time to wop 'em out. Joe
Thanks Joe - I am very pleased indeed, although reaction around here seems a tad muted. Maybe everyone's scratching their heads for that bit of inspiration!
Maybe they ain't read The Big Issue...
I think people need some clarification on what they should be writing Tony, you say that the ABC page in its entirety will be 1000 words long, how many pieces are you expecting to submit for each issue? Perhaps giving everyone some idea would help in knowing how long each individual piece should be.
Very short, very good prose has been a little thin on the ground of late (not non-existent, but rare) whereas the site has poetry in abundance - I can't imagine you'll have any trouble finding plenty of the latter to fill the space, unless you're only going for new stuff. Perhaps any perceived lull is due to people spending time trying to raise their game? A very cool development, anyhow.
I think that we will be looking for excellent story writing of between 750 and 1000 words. Some weeks we will devote entirely to a story, some entirely to poetry and most will contain one of each. We also want to include writing tips and literary news. We're in the process of doing a mock-up page at the moment and when that is completed then we will have a better idea of how it will go - but I think that those figures are pretty accurate.
Are old ABC works eligible or does it have to be new material?

Everythying on here is eligible. If you think you have something or know of something that might fit (and it would seem that 750 words is going to be pretty much the max. for a story) then please let me know.
This must seem like the Spanish Inquisition, Tone! So are you saying we should put our own work forward...? ~PEPS~ “There is no spoon.”
I don't want to be deluged by unsuitable stuff - but, if you think you have a piece of cracking writing on here that might justify selection then please let me know.
Got it! ;-) OK, I'll have a butchers... ~PEPS~ “There is no spoon.”
Topic locked