Writing exercises

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
Writing exercises

The weekly IP is a good writing exercise but i was just thinking back to english at school and the writing courses i have done. The IP is fairly free but how about a competition each week or month with a much tighter set of rules; give a topic - a phrase, a brief discriptive and then get the writers to stick to a certain criteria such as a word limit or a poem or a narration point of view etc.
The winners could be awarded a cherry or a story of the week or even publishing in the magazine.
How about it?

I would really like that!

"I will make sense with a few reads \^^/ "

Think it's a nice idea, but not sure how the overworked editors/cherrypickers would feel about having to judge it. Although maybe it's not so different from the general cherrying process. Perhaps if you win you have to judge the next one - presumably if you've won you have some idea of what you're doing (??) Perhaps the magazine editor could choose one or two from the winners for inclusion?
nice thought margharita Keep the ideas coming guys!
You could have your cherry for a week or a month and then pass it on to someone of your own choice. That means your criteria may be a little more lenient than the all encompassing and very clever cherry staff. I'd love to be able to give a few cherries meself ;D I think it is a really good idea that Bruce has- a veritable brainstorm! Though it may be a bit difficult for many of us- at the same time it gives some pretty clear guidelines to write on.
I think any new idea is a good one. Jenny.

you are very innovative Jenn. I love your comment ;) pia
I am always happy to take on new ideas - but you must understand that time is at a premium! If there is demand for a new comp then I'll get one rolling. What would like? Ideas on here please - and the one we pick gets a free entry!
I like the idea Pia s that other writing could get cherries!

how about best badly written? hopeful one here!

oh no theres a correct answer? have babies?

POV exercises are always a challenge. I quite like the ones where you have a scene described in first person, then you have to do it again in third person, giving the same information but without authorial omniscience. The character has to demonstrate how how they feel. I know why I'm here. 42.
life universe and everything? That sounds a good challenge to me.

Multi fuction...?? Now there's an interesting possibility... I shall be putting my best efforts into this competition.
I already have a super duper multi-functional halo- anything else at the give aways?
Well I could put it alongside all my other halos- some of them aren't branded because they are so old. I'll have to polish them with sandpaper if I am to wear them again. I think the i-halo could be for Tuesdays. I would have to come up with a real winner then .
I think you have covered quite a few FTSE but I' m really sorry to point out that you have caught the wrong bus. Oops- or woven the wrong thread. ;S
landed on another cloud ? ;)
I am knew to the competiion and actually never knew there was one so please bare with me if you comment, ha ha. Like Tcook said its lots of elements we need to consider, like time frame. however I think its always worth trying something, but if it does not work there are always other ones, you just have to find the right one for all, even if its not new!! :) I also think anything that would encourage or support writers, what ever level they may be at, is also worth a go!! especially the cherry part, and having a Specific topic for a story, poem, e.t.c would surely mean more writers had a chance of being given a cherry, prize e.t.c. But there are lots more competition ideas, which I am sure you all and Tcook have thought of :)) now I am going to try and find the competition page lol.

smiley Keep Smiling

Keep Writing xxx

Darkenwolf, Did you mean a real competition? With a first prize? I just reread you suggestion and I think you are thinking of a competition. Sorry I didn't get it first time around. I'm not one for competitions you see. I like the way the cherries are picked at the moment where different pieces of work are judged equally and several gos at the IP are rewarded. Sorry I misinterpreted. pia ;)
really?

not so much a competition as exercises but with some incentive to encourage people to participate. ;)
Darkenwolf, I think its worth considering how you explained it to HighHat seems to me is a very good idea, I need all the help I can get by the looks of things ha ha, as only a few comments I get and I have never been Given a Cherry lol but I am just glad to have the ability to at least tap the keys lol. So good Idea and Great way to get even the non competition takers talking, which I think is always a a winner :))))

smiley Keep Smiling

Keep Writing xxx

As to - Why are we here? Surely we are not all here for the same reason… Some are here because they want to be Some are here because they don’t know any better Some are here because they do know better Some because they think they do ;O)
Topic locked