Music for the mood

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Music for the mood

Hey guys, I dont know about you but I find music very helpful when writing those powerful or deep scenes, ones where you try to connect with the reader. Just cause I have time to kill, here is a list of the songs that inspired me for each chapter of Feathers to Filth so far -

Chapter 1-
Falling inside the Black - Skillet
The Reluctant Warrior - Immediate
Left outside alone - Anastacia

Chapter 2-
Many songs by Two Steps from Hell
Gave it all away - Red

Chapter 3-
Two out of three - Meatloaf
Already over pt.2 - Red
You're a God - Vertical Horizon

Chapter 4-
Two steps from hell (Again)
Serpentine - Disturbed
Shield of faith - Immediate

Chapter 5-
Serpentine (again)
This aint goodbye - Train
Hide - Red

Chapter 6-
Down to the devil - Edguy
You already know - Train
Us against the world - Westlife

Chapter 7-
MIA - Avenged Sevenfold
Hurricane - 30 Seconds to Mars
Two steps from hell (yet again :P)
Innocence - Disturbed
Sacrifice - Disturbed

Chapter 8-
Hymn for the missing - Red
Some piano solos from youtube
Backfire - Egypt Central
Gave it all away - Red

I find that given the genre of the novel, Trailer music etc and songs with meaningful lyrics work the best.

What do you listen to? :)

That's a pretty interesting exercise - I'd not thought about it like that before. I'd like to write an ending to a story based around 'The Gnashing' by Baroness. It just has that end of a story feel to it.
When I bring things to a close, whether it be a section of the storyline or death of a character etc, it may seem a little odd but it seems to come out better if I am feeling emotional in reality. So if I've had a grim say, my mindset fits the mood of the writing. Makes it mesh :) Btw, thats not an invite to hope for a bad day :P

My novel (about an ageing punk band) was written mostly with Ennio Morricone on repeat play. I find that for a story about punk rock a spagetti western soundtrack works best

I also wrote a story called Pod with Black's A Wonderful Life on repeat play - actually I think it was a live recording under his real name of Colin Verncombe.

I like the idea of your 3:00 a.m. short story, good thinking on that one ;P Personally for me leaving a song on repeat kinda...I dunno...thins out my work? Like I find it hard to create variation in it. But thats just me :) Thanks for your comment
When writing the Crave Danger pieces I listen to a mix of '40's music. Louis Armstrong, Harry James, Billie Holiday, Django Reinhardt etc. It helps. I love it. But I think my wife's ready to shoot me. Rich

well if your wife is ready to shoot you, you clearly...crave danger ;D haha Some people just cant appreciate inspiration :P Thanks for your comment
While writing I am mostly likely listening to anything by Ludovico Einaudi, Tom Waits or Kate Rusby. Very rarely would I listen to any other artists while working on a piece. When a favourite song comes on, I would take a breather, gather my thoughts and ideas, and attempt to pinpoint the atmosphere I'm trying to create.
If I am trying to look ahead to various parts of the story, I listen to my fave songs and go on a long evening walk. I try to see the scene in my mind as though it were a film, sometimes it works, sometimes not :P Thanks for your comment
This is a smashing exercise, very creative. I am impressed even though my music runs more to Andy Williams--Moon River. I did get to like 'Beth' by Kiss when my daughter was enamored with their hissing. All the best, Richard LP
Richard L. Provencher