Lane Ashfeldt (Ashb / Lena) Reading from her debut collection SaltWater in Brighton on 12 May

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lane Ashfeldt (Ashb / Lena) Reading from her debut collection SaltWater in Brighton on 12 May

I'm proud to announce that an ABCtale member, Lane Ashfeldt (known as Ashb / Lena) has recently had her debut collection of short stories published by Liberties Press. The reviews are in and they're glowing:

‘With crystalline prose, sentence by neat sentence, Lane Ashfeldt tells her stories of love, wavering trust and loss. The sea shimmers through SaltWater, as threatening and beautiful as many of the characters who walk the pages. A gorgeous collection by a bright talent.’

Nuala Ní Chonchúir

Ashfeldt's stories are set in a sweep of coastal areas around the world, from Sherkin Island in County Cork to the faraway shores of New Zealand. Taking place against a backdrop of foam and brine, of shipwrecks and storms, the stories are often inspired by real events, both contemporary and historical. Veering between family tragedy, the excitement of teen love and short, sharp observations of daily life, SaltWater brings to life the rich tapestry of the human experience.

Several of these stories have been shortlisted for or won fiction prizes: ‘Catching the Tap-Tap to Cayes de Jacmel’ won the Global Short Story Prize; ‘Dancing on Canvey’ won the Fish Short Histories Prize, Ireland; and ‘SaltWater’ was shortlisted for the HG Wells Prize.

You can get hold of the book from Liberties or Amazon.

Ashb will be reading in Brighton on the 12th of May - this Monday - so if you're in the area please do go out and support her! She'll be at the Brighton Waterstones,71-74 North Street, Brighton, BN1 1ZA from 7.30. Entry is free but please reserve a place - call 01273 206017 or email laneashfeldt (at) yahoo (dot) co (dot) uk.

She'll be following the forum as Ashb, so questions and comments welcome!

Hey Luke - and anyone else reading this. I haven't been in here much lately but am still in contact with one or two other ABC talers - we met at readings when a couple of my pieces went in the magazines. I especially remember one in Rathbone place or somewhere upstairs in a pub... 

The event on Monday is with two other writers Vanessa Gebbie and Bridget Whelan, and though it is a launch event for SaltWater we are also discussing the question of whether short story competitions are good for your writing.

Anyone near enough to Brighton to think of coming along, do get in touch with the shop on 01273 206017 - or email me if easier.

ashb

I thought I'd heard the name before. But it was Plainwater by Anne Carson. Good luck with this. I'll buy a copy. 

Ooh. Was very pleased whe I saw this post...

ashb

The wonders of technology. That's me bought a copy. Now to slag it off in my blog.

Only to immediately feel slightly seasick on seeing this.

Oh well.

Thanks for buying it anyway! ;)

And dont be surprised if the opening stories feel a bit deja vu - but I think you'll find some that was not up here, also ;)

ashb

Thanks to also to the people who have contacted me by email - and to Luke for putting this up...

ashb