The Greatest Album Ever.

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Greatest Album Ever.

Hounds Of Love by Kate Bush. I rediscovered this absolute gem a couple of weeks ago. I'd accidentally sold it (whilst pished) when I was selling all my 12" vinyl some years ago. I rented it from the library and when I played it I realised why it was the one album I wanted to keep. I was stunned at the sheer genius of the woman. Again. If I had to (and thank god I don't) it would be the one album I'd take to my desert island. It's certainly - for me anyway - up there with Abbey Road/Sergeant Pepper, Pet Sounds, Dark Side Of The Moon and Petula Clark sings the Jimi Hendrix songbook.

Stone Roses - Stone Roses without a doubt though Dark Side Of The Moon is a close contender. nobody
I do think Hounds of Love is a great album. I'd possibly choose Revolver over Sgt Pepper. But I might choose differently tomorrow. Pet Sounds is an extremely good album. If you want to buy my book, visit my blog: http://whatisthisstrangeplace.blogspot.com/
Joe's Garage by Frank Zappa

Share your state secrets at...
http://www.amerileaks.org

Singalongawaryears by Max Bygraves 1. Kiss Me Goodnight Sergeant Major 2. Run Rabbit Run 3. Ma I Miss Your Apple Pie 4. Bless 'em All 5. White Cliffs Of Dover 6. Good Morning Good Morning 7. I've Got Spurs That Jingle Jangle Jingle 8. You Are My Sunshine 9. Let's Have Another One 10. You'll Never Know 11. Apple Blossom Time 12. Who's Taking You Home Tonight 13. Last All Clear 14. Anniversary Waltz 15. I'll Be Seeing You 16. If I Had My Way 17. I Don't Wanna Walk Without You Baby 18. Lili Marlene 19. Music Maestro Please 20. What More Can I Say 21. Maybe 22. Do I Worry 23. I Don't Want To Set The World On Fire 24. Whispering Grass 25. Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square 26. Oh Johnny Oh Johnny 27. We're Gonna Hang Out The Washing On The Siegfried Line 28. I've Got Sixpence 29. Wish Me Luck As You Wave Me Goodbye 30. We'll Meet Again *shakes booty*
http://www.freewebs.com/michaeljamestreacy/index.htm I've been in and around planet Earth for the last 50-years-or-so and I've collected about 500 albums over 5 centuries... and I've yet to discover an album that tops Simon and Garfunkel's 'Bridge Over Troubled Water'.

So that's an average of 1 per year then, Michael! Well obviously, there's no such thing, and therefore the thread title is pointless. 'Your Favourite Album' would have made more sense, but I'm just being petty I guess, (it's becoming a career). As Tom suggests, these things change all the time but based on sales I guess the consensus among the worlds record buyers would quite possibly be either 'Dark Side Of The Moon' or 'Thriller', though 'Brothers In Arms' was a mega seller too. I have the first and last of these but I couldn't for the life of me settle on an all-time favourite, there are so many and it varies all the time. I wouldn't want to part with any of the following though, Lines - Allan Taylor Another Side Of Bob Dylan Complete 50's Masters - Elvis Presley Roger Miller Old No1 - Guy Clark

http://www.freewebs.com/michaeljamestreacy/index.htm Oh no! I meant '5 decades'. I'll be alright in a bit - I just need a lie down.

Ozric Tentacles - Erpland.

There's nothing more mind-teasing than the incomprehensible eagerly avowed -
Dennett

"occasionally nether-regions" lol. What's all that about beelzebub?

Dennett

It's interesting how often Marvin Gaye's 'What going on' is there or thereabouts when this question gets asked. Especially when the people answering question of liberal-leftish journalists in their mid-40s. It's very pleasant, an expresses nice sentiments but judged by the criteria of how much I want to listen to it, I'm not sure it's even the best album by Marvin Gaye. At the moment, the albums I most want to listen over and over again are: Highway 61 Revisited by Bob Dylan The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill by Lauryn Hill and It's a Shame About Ray by The Lemonheads. Don't think this necessarily makes them the best ever, though.

That got me thinking, the diffeence between what Id say was a great album and which ones I still actually play and like hearing. The latter aint necessarily the classics: Psychocandy - The Jesus and Mary Chain. New Boots and Panties - Ian Dury and the Blockheads. Doremi Fasol Latido - Hawkwind Soldier - Iggy Pop. Bummed - Happy Mondays. Syd's Pink Floyd. Blimey. I'm giving it all away here...
If you had to pick one album: and only one: which one would it be? I have come out with 'Hounds Of love'

Oh, well done you. Ok then, Orient and Occident - Arvo Part. or, Velvet Underground & Nico.
I'm almost with RD - but it has to be: We're Only In It For The Money by Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention I play it and play it and play it - and I never tire of it.
What? You think you could survive on a desert island knowing you'denever hear "Stinkfoot" on "Apostrophe", ever again?
Brown slippers don't make it. If you want to buy my book, visit my blog: http://whatisthisstrangeplace.blogspot.com/
Difficult Josie I admit - but on the other hand I definitely couldn't live without being able to hear Let's Make The Water Turn Black.
A few dear to my heart: Van Morrison - Astral Weeks Velvet Underground And Nico (why did nobody like this first time round?? Al Stewart - Year Of The Cat Dido - Life For Rent Joni Mitchell- Blue Songs Of Leonard Cohen Paul Simon - Graceland Placebo's "Meds" seems the best album I've heard for years but it's only been out for weeks so might not last the course, I dunno.
Party Party - Black Lace Hear my music: http://music.download.com/3600-5-100795586.html

Dennett

The album I am most into at present is "Split" by Lush. I dig Velvets, and Stone Roses. I am surprised nobody has mentioned David Bowie. My top pick therefore is "Station To Station"

Probably a bit late to mention it now but... Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars is on BBC Four at 9PM. A film of Bowie in his final concert as Ziggy from the Hammersmith Odeon (includes Changes, Time and Suffragette)
Oh, I love Arvo Part! 'Tabula Rasa' is my favourite of his; so sorrowful! Hounds of Love is definitely in my top five. Brilliantly sing-along-able. I'm not sure I could only take 'just one' album with me to a desert island, though. I'd probably have to have my Journey: Greatest Hits album, too, although I get ribbed for it...
what a silly conversation, everyone knows that the greatest album ever is Troublegum by Therapy?

Topic locked