Harassment by other ABC Members

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
Harassment by other ABC Members

Just so it's out in the open:

*Someone* with the email address: Friedbread666@aol.com last night emailed me the following, with: "Your trolling" in the title:

"Big Brother is watching you, you stupid cunt."

This is way, WAY out of line, as far as I'm concerned. We've had the trolling argument on this forum before, and I feel that it should stay in the forum. I do not email people on their personal email addresses to harangue them about trolling, even those who have made it their mission to insult me in whatever thread I'm on. The fact that most trolls do not display their personal email addresses makes it less likely that I am a troll, since I am quite easily emailable.

I would ask: who the hell cares about it enough to bother emailing me to make petty threats and call me names?

Get a life, please.

AG, I've had similar email in the past, though not from that address. I even had one in the early days from someone threatening to rape my wife and murder my kids. The best thing to do is ignore it, by posting it on here you've given the sender a gleeful moment and a feeling of success. You have to accept that like all trappy members, (me included), you will attract the animosity or hatred of others. If I was universally liked on here I'd be worried. I've got into slagging matches with several members in the past, but I've always confined my scorn to the forum, and any mail I've sent to members has always been through my public email address. I would add that displaying your personal email address means nothing. I have at least 8 email addresses spread across 3 services. I always use the same one here, but others for other purposes. Trolls usually use an address set up for the purpose. Who in hell would want to be an AOL user anyway defeats me, as it causes more probs than all other services combined.

*Giggles*
Guffaws at Flashy giggling.

The small-mindedness and pettiness of other people - especially those who are supposed, in all other respects, to be intelligent - defeats me.
AG, that’s appalling. I hope it’s the email equivalent of a random dirty phone call rather than anything to do with this site. Best to ignore it – easier said than done, I know, but what else can you do? ~ www.fabulousmother.com
It's sick. There is a way to discover who sent that mail, I'll have to check it out with aol. There's nothing more mind-teasing than the incomprehensible eagerly avowed - Dennet

There's nothing more mind-teasing than the incomprehensible eagerly avowed -
Dennett

Not me. I said my bit.
(though the 'makes it less likely that you're a troll' part about displaying email addresses is RIDICULOUS)
AG, you may wish to read the story I've linked to at the end of this post. It seems highly likely AOL can trace the sender of this kind of email. Given the unpleasant nature of the message I think you should report it to AOL as soon as possible. Point out to them that the sender is bringing AOL's good name into disrepute. After all, if it is possible for someone to hide behind an AOL email in this way, then AOL is no better than a freebie service like hotmail. That's certainly not a message they would want to promote. I am sure they will act on it. You can call them on: 0870 320 20 20 http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lincolnshire/4142463.stm
I've spoken to my big brother and he assures me HE isn't watching anyone! * ... AOL's good name ... * Hahahahahahahahahaha... And what might the good name be, Bruce? I thought it was 'arseholes on line'.

well, I've had a check through the site but as it appears that the mail didn't come through abc there is very little that I can see. What troubles me is that emails are not visible to users even if they click to contact user. The only way they can be found is if a user mails back, for example...this morning I mailed Archer through abc, I could only see her address when she mailed me back. Therefore, it is most likely to be someone that has either mailed you recently or that you have mailed in the past and they have kept your address.
In which case, the list gets smaller. Much smaller. A bit sad, really! I know I've had heated words with [several] members about various bits n bobs in the past, but sheesh.
Unfortunately Camus, that's not actually true. Although it is MEANT to be the case that abcmail is anon and the address cannot be seen, recently it has not happened that way. When the mail bot was down for ages if you mailed a user, it bounced back to you with the users actual email address. Huge error in the programme there.
Enzo v2.0
Anonymous's picture
Ive been through the log and can't find anything either. I wasn't aware of what C_C is saying, so I'll have another look and go back further, later on.
The mail bot is back up now though, so you wont see it. It's the programme itself needs changing Ben, to stop that happening when it fails.
Perhaps it can be stuck on the todo list that stops new users uploading tons of stuff at once eh? *eyes recently added list again*
Enzo v2.0
Anonymous's picture
ffs
Indeed.
Hows about this.. About a year ago, I received a letter from my old boss - addressed to my next of kin - expressing his sorrow at the news of my death. When I rang him to ask what the fuck it was all about, he said he'd received an e-mail to that effect. And, he added, it came from my e-mail address!! I took it up with the police, who weren't particularly interested. I believe they thought I'd done the whole thing myself. I was told by another source, however, that it's quite possible to 'hi-jack' an e-mail address and use it. A trail can lead back to a source machine, however. The police still weren't interested. I've never managed to get to the bottom of this. Anyone heard of anything similar? Coincidentally, at the time this e-mail was sent, my system anti-spyware and anti-virus package gave up the ghost and I had to dump it all and restart.
What's so bad about AOL, Missi? I've been online with them for about four years and have had no major problems. Their service line is generally very helpful. Anytime I've had a minor problem they've been able to clear it up. And I don't have shares in them. As far as famous web companies go, I would rate them just below Amazon and Google and way way way above ebay.
I appreciate your checking it out and the other suggestions, as well. I'm not bothered about pursuing it as it's just someone with a big ole bug up their arse; but I really don't appreciate being called a 'cunt' with such venom, in a so-far untraceable email. It seems to be a particularly male perjorative, as none of the women I know call one another such things. Bitch, maybe, or bint, but 'cunt'? Sheeeeesh. Wash your mouth out, naughty child!
Bruce, AOL have a habit of blocking everything they can, they are the most awkward ISP to deal with if you're not actually an AOL user. Quite apart from which their customers have a rather appalling habit of calling Arseygurl a cunt, a word she finds repugnant but yet manages to use herself twice in three lines! Arsey, behave yourself or I'll have to report you to the AOL police! By the way I know several women that use the 'C' word, but sparingly I admit. Oddly, I don't believe any of them use AOL though.

Missi, I used it twice, both in 'quotes'; it's not a word I would choose to use often out of my magnificent repertoire of expletives, although the longer I'm a member on here, the more inclined I am to change my mind. I don't have AOL, either. Don't you have to pay for it? (I'm guessing here...).
http://www.freewebs.com/michaeljamestreacy/index.htm Funny auld world, this cyber-interaction lark. I've had an obscene message left on my website by an 'ABC' member called, 'Doctor Jekyll'. (His spelling may be suspect). I know who Dr. Jekyll is and I hope to meet him in 'real life' one day. I'll offer to lance the obvious boil on his penis for him... in the spirit of ABC Tales intercourse, of course. I think he targets me because I once took exception to him 'beating up' a teenage girl who naively happened upon the ABC forum one day. His ongoing problem with me is probably because I'm occasionally a bit clumsy with my text whilst trying to interact in the best way I know how, on the forums. Keep the faith, Archergirl!!! Shame for these poor individuals who have a boil on their penis. Ain't no remedy for the STD's they have.

Classic!
_I_ did not email nasty things to anyone called 'mickleberry'; why should I do such a thing? Someone must be trolling you, mickleberry, and besmirching my good name to all and sundry, for _I_ have no boils on my penis, that I know of. It is pink and squeaky clean.
Sounds like it might need oiling! ;-)
_AND_ I would like to clarify that Archergirl does not lie when she says she is not me, because. We. Are. Legion. You. Silly. Myopic. Creators. Of. Stories.
Topic locked