FREE VERSE

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
FREE VERSE

I have recently subsrcibed to 'The New Writer'
Magazine and entered some of my poems for the competitions run by them

On receiving my first copy I discovered many poems either by winners of previous competitions or highly commended.

Whilst I found quite a few good poems I was extremely surprised and not a little concerned to note that without exception every poem was written in free verse.

Don't misunderstand me. Some poetry works very well in free verse but every entry?

Does this indicate that to win a competition you have got to write in that style?

Alright. I'm old fashioned. I together with many of my fellow members of the local poetry and creative writing groups prefer poems that rhyme.

I still can't help feeling that free verse is something of a cop out by people who can't be bothered.

None of the early great poets wrote in free verse.

I don't think Wordsworth's 'Daffodils' would have had the success it had if it did not rhyme.

When I was young it was poetry if it rhymed and prose if it didn't and everyone knew where they stood. I don't quite subscribe to that definition but surely there is room for both.

I was pleased to see that at least some of your contributors have written poems that rhyme and, (the other comments I hear) that ordinary people can understand and enjoy.

The reason I didn't write poetry till now was because it took me over thirty years to realise that poetry wasn't just about rhyme and flowers, and it's thanks to Abc that I found poets who wrote as I wanted to read it. Rhyme makes me cringe and reminds me of being a child in front of a teacher who would cringe because my poems didn't rhyme. When I've tried writing poetry that rhymed (like in one of the heats of the competition; 'You know it' which was intentionally crap), the need to find that one elusive word always seemed to clog my mind and ruin the whole thing, evaporating the power of the message I wanted to give. Besides, all the good rhymes have been done and rehashed a thousand times over. Ginsberg was the last real poet-sensation; his work didn't rhyme and that was yonks ago. Therein lies the problem. Poetry was so up its own arse back then that it's taken all this time to make a comeback, and I do think it will turn a very important corner soon, if it hasn't already. There's Hughes and others but I don't know whether they rhyme because I haven't read any of it, entirely because I imagined they/we were still in the throes of the old school of thought; stuffy, boring, immature in that creeky, decrepit, stale way, traditional, cold, self-righteous claptrap, but I'm probably wrong. It takes all sorts, though, and if you like rhyming verse there's masses of it out there.

I too prefer poetry that rhymes, John, and used to think as you that 'free verse' was more laziness than anything... until I tried it. I now believe that both are just as challenging. To write a good poem in either format is darn tough. In rhyme you have the challenge of all the myriad different styles to consider and the meter and rhyme elements, but in 'prose' pacing is hugely important. That one thing tells me whether a poet is truly gifted, or just spewing words(navel gazing is a term I like). To have a 'free verse' poem flow effortlessly is beautiful and I admire those who can do it well. Just my humble opinion. Max

M

I used to think if it didn't rhyme it wasn't really poetry. And I prefer to make mine rhyme but I've read many on here that don't rhyme but are definitely poetry as they have the rhythm of poems. Having said that, I've also read some that if you didn't have them arranged in verses, would just be prose. Sometimes very nice prose, but prose all the same. poetry is a wide field!
Alex, you make an excellent point. John I'm not convinced that a 'when I was young' rationale is the best one to advance. Although it is I understand, a siren voice.

It is simplistic to say that free verse poetry does not rhyme. Sometimes the rhymes do not fall at the ends of lines. Sometimes they are subtle half rhymes. Or there is a repetition of vowel/consonant sounds to connect different parts of the poem. The Modernist movement broke the stranglehold of rhyme over a century ago, so I don't know where you got your old fashioned view from. That's not to say poems should never adopt regular end line rhyming schemes. Their execution just has to be bloody good to avoid sounding like a Hallmark greeting card or a pastiche of an 'early great poet'. Where do you stand on blank verse by the likes of Shakespeare or Milton? Personally, I write both. So I have no axe to grind. It's all part of the artist's palette to choose whichever is more appropriate.
I think that just about sums up this boring old chestnut. I wish I had a tenner for every time I've seen it raised.

I don't think it matters a sod, as long as you're having fun. My doggerel rhymes (it just seems to come out that way) but, equally, I can enjoy (a lot of) free verse too. (I would say, though, that rhymes have to come naturally - nothing worse than a rhyme being stuck there just because it rhymed :)) http://www.ukauthors.com
Meaning turned backwards just to make verse is like an A4 Pacific running in reverse Crew get all wet and drafty and ecclesiastical photographers don't like it either More smoke, Bishop?

Parson Thru

Free verse is now the status quo; the conservatives choice. Rhyme is unpopular; only rebels rhyme these days. It's a bit like conceptual art. People think its new when really its old hat. It's the establishment and what the modern elite hang on their walls. "The reason I didn't write poetry till now was because it took me over thirty years to realise that poetry wasn't just about rhyme and flowers" I got the exact opposite impression about poetry growing up. As a teenager in the soulless 90's, I believed that romance was dead; that earnestness was dead; that beauty and elegance were dead and that cynicism, nihilism and apathy or mindless hedonism were the vogue. It was hell and for me the romantic poets like Keats and Blake, John Clare and Coleridge were angels; saviours of my soul. What could a teenager be in the 90's but a mindless consumer of pop-pap; Thatcher and Reagan and capitalism seemed to have won; communism was collapsing; there was no inspirational youth movement to belong to. I latched onto the past; the 80's/70's/60's and everything before it because my generation had nothing great to inspire them. Just as an example to those who think that rhyming poetry is flowery (whats wrong with flowers?) and pretentious: Anthem For Doomed Youth What passing-bells for these who die as cattle? Only the monstrous anger of the guns. Only the stuttering rifles' rapid rattle Can patter out their hasty orisons. No mockeries now for them; no prayers nor bells; Nor any voice of mourning save the choirs, The shrill, demented choirs of wailing shells; And bugles calling for them from sad shires. What candles may be held to speed them all? Not in the hands of boys, but in their eyes Shall shine the holy glimmers of good-byes. The pallor of girls' brows shall be their pall; Their flowers the tenderness of patient minds, And each slow dusk a drawing-down of blinds. Wilfred Owen "When I've tried writing poetry that rhymed (like in one of the heats of the competition; 'You know it' which was intentionally crap)" I gave that one a bronze. I liked its sincerity.
I mainly agree with John, there does seem to be a prejudice against rhyming. Personally I love to read and to write rhyming verse, and also poetry of all kinds, but I find much of the so called free verse published has no meter or recognisable rythm, in fact to me seems like a piece of prose, often with random looking line breaks to shape it into what many perceive as poetry. In fact because of the way some magazine/book editors or publishers seem to turn their collective noses up at rhyming poetry I have been trying my hand more at Free verse, with mixed results. Each to their own I suppose. Linda

Linda

I struggle with rhyme so I'm glad that free verse is widely accepted. I do try to get a certain rhythm in my free verse, now and again use aliteration (though that is frowned upon), sometimes use rhyme within the verse. I like rhyming poems- noone can beat the old masters and some of the new ones with rhyme. But poetry is more than metre,rhythm and rhyme. It's pictures, emotions and yet more.
Nicely put, Pia.

Parson Thru

Alliteration is frowned upon? Since when? I love a good dose of alliteration, meself. http://www.ukauthors.com
Me too! Why on earth is it frowned upon? Good alliteration can add to the easy flow of a poem.

M

Me three! I think alliteration can be a very useful tool, as Miscelanea says, it adds to the flow. And I have been glad to see support for rhyming too. Not for the first time this week, I was beginning to feel a bit out of step with the poetic trends. Linda

Linda

johng I certainly seem to have hit a a sore spot with a lot of people. Thanks for all your input. Wellwisher. You and I seem to be on the same wavelength. To your excellent example by Wilfred Owen I would add 'The Soldier' by Rupert Brooke and 'On a Dead Child By Robert Bridges 1844–1930 Perfect little body, without fault or stain on thee, With promise of strength and manhood full and fair! Though cold and stark and bare, The bloom and the charm of life doth awhile remain on thee. Thy mother’s treasure wert thou;—alas! no longer To visit her heart with wondrous joy; to be Thy father’s pride;—ah, he Must gather his faith together, and his strength make stronger. To me, as I move thee now in the last duty, Dost thou with a turn or gesture anon respond; Startling my fancy fond With a chance attitude of the head, a freak of beauty. Thy hand clasps, as ’twas wont, my finger, and holds it: But the grasp is the clasp of Death, heartbreaking and stiff; Yet feels to my hand as if Twas still thy will, thy pleasure and trust that enfolds it. So I lay thee there, thy sunken eyelids closing,— Go lie thou there in thy coffin, thy last little bed Propping thy wise, sad head, Thy firm, pale hands across thy chest disposing. So quiet! doth the change content thee?—Death, whither hath he taken thee? To a world, do I think, that rights the disaster of this? The vision of which I miss, Who weep for the body, and wish but to warm thee and awaken thee? Ah! little at best can all our hopes avail us To lift this sorrow, or cheer us, when in the dark, Unwilling, alone we embark, And the things we have seen and have known and have heard of, fail us. Robert Bridges Poet Laureate was a Physician at Great Ormand Street Hospital and must have seen many dead children. On his retirement he devoted much of his time to the study of poetic form and wrote works on poetic meter There are many different forms of meter and I have tried quite a few, the iambic pentameter, The Sonnet, the clerihew and even a Rubaiyat. I have also tried writing in the style of the greats, Wordsworth, Rupert Brooke.Betjamen,and Carol Anne Duffey. (Incidentally one of my Wordsworth based on 'Daffodils' was in free verse). I must say I prefered the original. I have done this as a way to try to learn from the masters the nuts and bolts of poetry writing. I have no objection to free verse or the poets who write it. Many beautiful poems have been written in that format.I have also read a lot of incomprehensible rubbish. As one commentator mentioned it is not new. In fact examples can be found in greek poetry. Shakespeare was mentiioned. He wrote his poems in Sonnet form and they rhymed. His mechanicals in his plays speak in iambic pentameters and his other characters in blank verse. My gripe is against the way that panels of Judges when judging Competitions seem to favour free verse, probably because many of them write in that form and that poets who write in the traditional way seem to be cast as second class citizens' All I ask is a level playing field. Why do we write poetry? If it is for our own pleasure and we don't care if anyone reads it or not. fine. If we want people to read and enjoy what we write then we must consider who we want to attract. This is particularly important if we wish to publish and have a financial success. Who are the best selling poets ? 'Pam Ayres? Spike Milligan? (I can visualise the supercilious smiles on many faces) but that is what the vox populi enjoy. The poems re humorous easy to read and understand and they rhyme. A final point about 'Wellwishers' comparison with conceptual art' My views on that subject you will find in.my poem 'The Emperors Clothes.'

johng

comment removed

Linda

And, talking about supercilious smiles... http://abctales.com/story/andrea/marriage-or-not-case Room for everyone, it really doesn't do to get haughty :) http://www.ukauthors.com
removed

johng So many of you seem to be missing my point. I am not anti free verse or the people that write it. i don't mind what format it is in provided I can read it easily and understand what it is about But when I open a Magazine chock full of prize winning poems in free verse, as a poet who mainly writes in rhyme it makes me very apprehensive and suspicious. It usually costs money to enter competitions. If this is their policy the organisers should at least stipulate free verse only.

johng

johng

johng

Well we did just have a competetion- the Pentathlon- here on Abc John where there were several IP's with specific metre and rhyme assignments and a free verse one as well.
The thing is, John, it's really not worth getting yer knickers in a twist about, is it? Free verse, rhyming, whatever turns you (and others) on is good, right? Life's too short, mate :) http://www.ukauthors.com
For goodness sake, give it a rest. Every one of us is doin' our best. Some are haughty, intellectual fellows who l don't personally 'get' their prose (?) Let's all just enjoy our tales, I love to read either rhyme or layers. To me, you all are jolly fine chaps who make me laughs or cry or clap, heartily ..
Nice one denni1 8D

well said Denni. ;)
Fankoo xx