Five free books of 'A Hoxton Childhood'

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Five free books of 'A Hoxton Childhood'

Blinding Books, my indie publishing company, has just republished 'A Hoxton Childhood' by A S Jasper.

It's a cracking read about life in a London slum during the First World War seen through the eyes of a young boy.

When it was first published in 1969, it was widely reviewed and hailed as the best working-class story since The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists.

The first five Abctales members to make a comment below will receive a free copy in the post.

Get in there!
Richard

I am so glad that you managed to pull this publication together Richard. I think (know) that we discussed the existence of this book in the thread on my poem "Magpie". I did my best to find a copy of it at the time but to no avail. And then the thread was edited for good reason and I lost the route to it. I know that you are offering a free copy for commenters but I will buy a copy. Please post a link so that I and others can. Well done mate.

I would love a copy of 'A Hoxton Childhood' as The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists is one of my favourite books. If I am lucky enough to get a copy then I shall donate to ABC. Moya

I also would love a copy. Is the book in need of reviews? If so, please leave a link to the Amazon pages (US and UK) so I can leave a review. Thanks, Lisa
I haven't read it, but would like to. Sounds interesting. Thanks. And I wouldn't mind buying a copy. Rich

comment. comment. that makes me the fifth beatle. If it's anywhere as good-or as socially relevent now as the ragged trouser philanthropist then it'll be some book. best wishes.

Trust me to be the sixth person to comment. I'll just have to harass Celticman for a read of his when he's finished with it. Of course, I could always buy a copy. Best of luck with it, Richard.
Pesky and Celticman, I can't split my two favourite Scots so you're both getting a copy. Let me know your addresses by emailing me thru the contact button. Scratch and Moya, let me know your addresses so I can post it. I'm off on hols tomorrow for a week. Richard

shame old pesky. No good bookshops were you can wrap it in silver paper and nick it. They've all closed!

new blighters rock Hi! Richards sounds very interesting. Well being born bit back,can identify bits. So counting send me free copy,or costs. Have good holiday. julie
Richard , Received copy and will donate to ABC but if York goes ahead then entrance fee for that goes to Railway Children but will also donate extra for book. Hope that okay. By the way, the book is excellent, can't put it down. Moya

Hi Julie, I'll send you a copy as soon as I get back. Say howdy to Raymondo for me Hi Moya, So glad you're enjoying it. Grand-uncle's rolling around kicking clouds right now.

Richard, copy received safe and sound. Thank you so much! It looks wonderful and I am just finishing off another read, then yours is next. Hope you're having a fab holiday. Lisa PS Taking the youngest up to New Brighton for beach walks later. :)
thanks Richard. I'll send a couple of quid to abc for your kindness.

Glad they got there ok.

Is there a good place to leave a review? I looked on Amazon but your imprint isn't listed. I loved the book, btw. It's a very unpretentious account of sheer poverty at the turn of the century. And what a mum. Every one should have one of her in their family.
Hi Lisa. It's on Amazon now so if you feel like putting up a review I'd be very grateful.All the best, Richard

Thrilled and relieved you enjoyed it, Lisa. It'll be on Amazon as soon as I get copies to my main distributor. Went on hols the day they placed an order. It should be up and running by late next week so please feel free to write a review then. Big thank you for taking the time to read.

Hope the hols were good blighters.

My copy arrived today, Richard. It's now in my carry-bag along with The East End Butcher Boy. Looking forward to my morning train read. Many thanks. Rich

Just noticed your inscription in the book, Richard. Nice touch. Thanks. Rich