Help please!

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Help please!

Hello! I am a newbie to this site and hoping I can get a bit of advice perhaps. I am 24 and from a young age loved writing, even as a 8/9 year old I would write stories. Anyway, before I get into a life story or anything, basically I love to write but I haven't written a story for years upon years. I haven't even tried for quite a while and have just started again. I am however, finding it quite hard. I have an idea but I'm finding my writing seems all wrong, kind of childish and not flowing very well. Does anyone have any tips on improving this? Is it something that practise makes perfect? Any advice much appreciated, Thanks!

Howdy nosila, Yes, like Larking and blighters said, just let it flow. Take that little editor that's in your head and lock him in the cellar for a while and just get your thoughts down first. There's plenty of time to edit when you are through with that first draft. I think blighters made a good call on letting it sit for a day or two and then coming back to it. You'll have a fresh mind and a slightly different persepective. Most of all, have fun with it! Now get back up on that horse and ride.
Hi Nosilla and welcome to ABCtales. You could try to use the weekly Inspiration Point on here - it's on the home page on the left hand side - and try it out as an exercise. You'll be able to see what other people make of it too and that always helps with the flow. But the main thing is just to start - and then keep going! I look forward to reading your pieces.
Hi Nosila. I've found this site to be a really nice way of testing out my writing and flexing my wings a little, without it being scary. There are some super supportive people here, and we are all in the same boat. And when you get your first cherry it really boosts your confidence. So start writing, the more you write the easier it will get. Blighters is right, its good to come back after a day or so and edit, and editing itself gets easier. I was told once first build your body of material, then sculpt it until you are happy with it. No-one writes perfect prose first off. Looking forward to reading your words, Netty
Welcome Nosila, agree with all here, I would say write it as it comes, even if it's childish, flows wrong or whatever, just post it, you will probably get lots of good advice in comments. Kahdai :)

"I will make sense with a few reads \^^/ "

New Nosila Yes I to agree with our Editor t.cook. and others say on AbcTales.Looking foreward reading yours.Good comments help from all. julie
Best advice I ever had was read, read, read, write, write, write, pick a couple of books by your fav author and read one for enjoyment and the next one read it but analise it, what kind of vocab does he use, how are the words put together to make the plot flow. Remember most books consist of three acts-act 1 introduction to heros world,a call to adventure and or disturbance,the hero crosses the threshold into act two various encounters and dark moments that must be overcome before crossing into act three where the final battle takes place before hero can return to the ordinary world.This is just a vague template for any kind of story from action to horror to romance.Hope this has helped you.
Topic locked