I am frightened of getting a Twitter or Facebook account...

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am frightened of getting a Twitter or Facebook account...

I often feel that I would like to join Twitter or Facebook because social networks give you a public platform for expressing your views but I'm afraid of two things a) having my account hacked into and b) being attacked by hordes of internet trolls. 

Does anyone else share my anxieties about social media? Has anyone had any negative experiences using either Twitter, Facebook, Instagram or one of the other social networking sites?

Personally I love facebook - not for the reasons you state, but because it enables me to stay in touch with friends (mostly real life ones) far and wide. We also have the ABCTales Facebook page of course, which is our window on the world. If someone 'likes' one of our picks and shares it with their circle of friends, it can reach a much bigger audience.

If you are worried about your security, then a short time spent researching and then implementing the security features available will make sure you are visible only to those to whom you want to be visible. You can even make it impossible for your profile to be found in a google search.

In short, I find it a useful tool. And if you do decide to join, please 'like' our page!

you're not missing anything. and if you are, I missed it. 

I'm with insert - I find Facebook a good way to keep up with people, I filter out the drivel, I ignore any adverts and 'news' and put stuff on it once in a blue moon.  It's good for sharing round ABC stuff.  I never sign into anything using my Facebook ID, and I'm so below the radar that trolls would never be arsed to find me.  You're not really missing anything much, but it can be useful.  I've never had a negative experience, other than the odd irritating 'Pass this on and you will get lifelong happiness' thing.  Depends how you use it.  I have a Twitter account and I keep saying I'm going to use it but to be honest I don't really know what to do with it.  

I use Facebook but I waste a little too much time on it. Must go now I have been planning to mop my floor for 2 dayssmiley