ABCDID

171 posts / 0 new
Last post
ABCDID

I've always thought you can learn an awful lot about a person by looking through their record collection and the 'men' making tapes thread has prompted me to suggest that we could do our own Desert Island Discs/Tapes/CD's. I'm not too sure of the format but how about listing 10 favourite tracks, 1 favourite book (OK Mark, you can have 2) and a luxury item?

I'd go first but I need to think about it (I have about 300,000 tracks to choose from, it aint easy).

andrew pack
Anonymous's picture
I feel sorry for any DJ who has to cater for an abctales night out.
Andrea
Anonymous's picture
They do, Stormy? Handlebar, did you say? Conspicous by their absence here in Amsters, I have to say. Lots of other sorts of handel bars though... Play on words, that. Dutch words, though. Handel = trade Bars = er...bars. Geddit? Oh well, I'll keep taking them thar pills...
Martin T
Anonymous's picture
.....awaits poem about small thong bird.....
WHA
Anonymous's picture
Thank you, young Andrea. A Whoccy Class Hero is something to be. Wouldn't you agree? You don't by any chance have copies of that photo on the front page of the Evening Standard? My Butler, Yeats, seems to have an unhealthy interest in the subject. I've sent him to his quarters in the West Wing and ordered him to wear boxing gloves for the duration. Laundry bill are so expensive these days. I trust you are smoking plenty of that Whoccy Baccy that Amsterdam is famous for. Tell me, do you call yourself an 'Amsterdame'? Your humble servant, Wystan Hugh Audenary.
spag man
Anonymous's picture
Hey Missi, I take your point. My girlie's parents were English, and I think her grandmother was English. I called her and asked her about this and she calls herself " Afro English". So , as always, I was wrong. Anyway, I had to argue you on that one, Missi as I know you like a good argument. And I did set out my list earlier in the thread. "top 10 tracks? God, how tough is this!? I own like 100-150 compilation tapes. Okay here goes - 1) Sugar Boy -Beth Orton 2) Colourblind - Counting Crowes 3) It aint me babe - Bob Dylan 4) Isolation - John Lennon 5) All Along the wtachtower - Jimi Hendrix 6) In my lIfe - The Beatles 7) Where is my mind - The Pixies 8) Wise Up -Aimee Mann 9) In Dreams - Roy Orbison 10) Bernadette - The Four Tops To be smuggled - Welcome to the jungle - Guns N' Roses 20th Century Boy - T. Rex Heaven Knows I'm Miserable now - The Smiths Money - The Beatles Love Reign O'er me - The Who The Bends - Radiohead Creep - Radiohead Boys don't cry - The Cure I'm Glad - Cream Nobody Loves you - John Lennon Broken Heart - Spiritualized Candy says - Velvet Underground Ziggy Stardust - David Bowie Hello in there - John Prine Desolation Row - Bob Dylan Bottle to the bottom - Kris Kristofferson Chelsea Hotel - Leonard Cohen Codemnation - Depeche Mode
Liana
Anonymous's picture
Rules are MADE to be broken General. *whispers to Martin* It's ok, I've got 6,000 MP3's on a hard drive stashed in me knickers.....
mississippi
Anonymous's picture
Bloody hell, what are you lot on? I blinked and there's dozens of normally sensible people rushing to let us all peep into their musical minds! After reading some of the lists I thought I'd better keep my mouth shut...... but.... I have trouble in that department. I think Roy hit the nail on the head, it's tantamount to giving your age away, and it's beginning to look as if I'm one of, if not the oldest here! Oh sod it, the lists need an injection of class.... 1. Trying To Get To You - Elvis Presley 2. So Sad - The Everly Brothers 3. You Win Again - Jerry Lee Lewis 4. Rave On - Buddy Holly 5. The Eve Of Destruction - Barry McGuire 6. I Am.. I Said - Neil Diamond 7. Desolation Row - Bob Dylan 8. Mama T'aint Long Fo' Day - Martin Simpson 9. The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face - Roberta Flack 10. I Cover The Waterfront - John Lee Hooker Book: The Land Where The Blues Began - Alan Lomax Luxury Item: The woman I've yet to meet. I would never survive on my own so can I be with one you lot? Please!
Linsi
Anonymous's picture
Oh God, this is hard... Top Ten Music. 1: This Charming Man. The Smiths 2: Live Through This. Hole 3: Siamese Dream. Smashing Pumpkins. 4: Singles, Going Steady. Buzzcocks 5: Becoming x. Sneaker Pimps. 6: Pernicious Nonsense. Gay Bykers on Acid. 7: Fever In.Fever Out. Luscious Jackson. 8: Archieve One. Dave Clarke. 9: Unplugged. Nirvana. 10: Fear of a Black Planet. Public Enemy. Book: One I
Linsi
Anonymous's picture
Opps. As I was saying, Book: One I have not read before! Luxury Item: Getto blaster with batteries, Plenty of tapes to record the music the rest of you lot have bought!
Martin T
Anonymous's picture
...is quite shocked at this revelation.....wanders if he can sneak more stuff in....makes rough calculation of carrying capacity of said knickers....wanders if he can park his fiesta somewhere..... wanders off stroking impressive goatee.....
mississippi
Anonymous's picture
I've just re-read some of the lists and realise that if Sue Lawley is looking in no one here is going to get the phone call!
Andrea
Anonymous's picture
Gawd, yes, Missus - you must be even older than me! With you on the Dylan/Hooker thing at least. Like most of the rest too, tho' they wouldn't be my first choice. Gotta take that Nielson (spelling?) one, as well...'Without You' Wotta soppy git... And 'Madame George' - Van the Man And 'Imagine' JL
Liana
Anonymous's picture
*affronted* I'll have you know my knicks can only just support a 30GB hard drive.... Fiesta indeed!!! My pognophobia is getting worse.......
Martin T
Anonymous's picture
.....decides to leave the fiesta at home.....thinks about taking one of those Smart cars.....
andrew pack
Anonymous's picture
Imagine ? *Andrew even more incensed than he was by Barthez's comedy performance in goal tonight* Stormy - come back, paddle that raft back this way !
Reluctant Voyeur
Anonymous's picture
Can I come on the island too? ;-)
mississippi
Anonymous's picture
Oi Andrew, you lay off Andrea, the lady's got taste, most of it good! Football? Go and wash your mouth with soap and water!
andrew pack
Anonymous's picture
Imagine no possessions its easy if you try Not quite so easy if at the time, you happen to be renting an entire floor of a hotel just to store the fur coats that you and Yoko own...
W H AudleyHarrison
Anonymous's picture
duhh, like yer tunes W H sorta make yer breave more easy no what i mean arry? bit like my fight arrangers they are pop pickers too your bumble savant, Wyshful Heavyweight
Martin T
Anonymous's picture
Maybe we can sneak you in RV......we'll have to measure the pants.....see if they have enough capacity..... ....walks off with a scheming kind of look upon his beautiful face....
Liana
Anonymous's picture
*withdraws offer of 6,000 MP3 treat for Martin as he is doing far too much bartering with my knicks*
andrew pack
Anonymous's picture
I'm sure Andrea, Liana and Stormy all know that I am not having a go at them - I'd gladly throw all my records in the sea and have a conversation with them instead. As Liana and Stormy have said, it is almost impossible to assess a record in isolation - depends entirely on how old you were and what you were doing when you listened to it. I listened to U2 and Peter Gabriel non-stop while revising for my A Levels - they only conjure up unhappy memories of staring blankly at enthalpy tables and lists of chemical reactions now...
Martin T
Anonymous's picture
......Realising he is in trouble....and deeply wanting the 6,000 MP3 treat...resolves to contact R.V and refuse access to Island........ will no longer barter with Liana's knicks...has learned a valuable lesson.....feels like Richie Cunningham in Happy days.....maybe Liana is the fonz.......
stormy
Anonymous's picture
hmm andrea, it must be just a certain type of dutchman that I bump into. I've been to amsterdam. I know of the trade you refer to. (hearsay that is!) you're not getting on my raft andrew. it's far too 'heavy' for you. suggest you 'pop' along further down the beach. I hear they are knocking out 3 minute inflatables all the time. :-)
Martin T
Anonymous's picture
*gets himself in deeper with every post* ;-)
fish
Anonymous's picture
*has first hand knowledge of liana's clothing and is willing to barter*
Liana
Anonymous's picture
whats up with my top ten!!!! You were quite happy with it!!!
Liana
Anonymous's picture
Now I am wondering if I left knicks on Fish's couch after Sloe Gin and Pimms dramatic weekend......
R.V
Anonymous's picture
...Offers extremely large pants to smuggle self in......
andrew pack
Anonymous's picture
Top ten yes - it was eleven to twenty that perturbed me. (The one with "More than a feeling" - remember ? ) The first Beth Orton album is far better than the second - lovely Andy Wetherall and Chemical Brothers production to it, and the haunting song that goes, "I told you I loved you, now what more can I do?" - but Central Reservation is still a fine, fine song.
fish
Anonymous's picture
*wonders if RV stole some pants when was here for sloe gin and pimms weekend*
Liana
Anonymous's picture
Awwww come on Andrew, not fair.... I have a cd collection that probably rivals Paul Gambaccini's...there are bound to be a few in there that are on the dodgy side.....l cant help it.....
Rhombus10
Anonymous's picture
IN no particular order 1. So Strong, Labi Siffri 2. Doors, LA Woman 3. Van Morrison, Thee are the days 4. Clash, Should I stay or should I go? 5. Sheryl Crow, All I Wanna Do 6. Louis Armstrong, Walking to New Orleans 7. Stones, Sympaty for the Devil 8. James Brown, I feel good 9. Joan Osbourne, One of Us 10. Miles Davis, Kind of Blue (Which is an album, but you couldn't possibly split it up!) Top Book - Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow, Peter Hoeg Luxury Item - Endless supply of red wine!
None of your bu...
Anonymous's picture
Will punters please refrain from posting items which refer to the original theme of the thread. It is most annoying.
stevo
Anonymous's picture
F*ck there's some f*cking terrible music on this thread. My load of cack would be (at this moment) Teenage Fanclub: I'll Make it Clear Eels: Novocaine for the Soul Belle & Sebastian: Winter Wooskie Cure: Boys don't Cry Smiths: There is a Light that Never goes Out Big Star: Give me another Chance Super Furry Animals: Fire in my Heart Dinah Washington: I've got you under my skin REM: You are the Everything Magnetic Fields: The Luckiest Boy on the Lower East Side pure facking class try the Magnetic fields. Poetry in lotion
rv's littler friend
Anonymous's picture
rv has definitely never partaken of a such a week-end.......the very thought.....rv is a sophisticate...don't you know
moisty petter
Anonymous's picture
I had such a weekend... ...wondered where those mysterious voluminous knickers came from that my char lady found in my pocket the next day. thankfully she is a bit sloe. pimm pimm
Sydney Censor
Anonymous's picture
Was that "load of crack" or 'crap', Stevo?
mississippi
Anonymous's picture
I have to confess I haven't even heard of at least 50% of the performers in these lists! I used to think I was au fait with the music scene, now I'm not so sure! Where am I going wrong?
Andrea
Anonymous's picture
Perhaps it's some obscure form of colloquialism? Each to his own cack, Stevo, each to his own...
mississippi
Anonymous's picture
Am I to deduce that Miss Dunne has a rather large rear end?
robert
Anonymous's picture
finally done it: The Fall – The Classical Bob Dylan – Visions of Johanna Michael Nyman – Drowning by Number 2 The Smiths – Still Ill (apologies to Bachmann Stormy Overdrive) Joy Division – A Means to an End Robert Wyatt – Sea Song Captain Beefheart – Owed t’Alex Elvis Costello – I Want You Cocteau Twins – From the Flagstones PiL - Poptones [would also smuggle some less cool stuff, which may or may not include percy sledge…] Oh and I’d have to have a recording of a young choir singing In The Bleak Midwinter, to play at christmas.
Liana
Anonymous's picture
*sniggers*
fish
Anonymous's picture
you perv!
beachwood
Anonymous's picture
Man! This has got to be the most popular thread in the history of ABCTales. I have no idea what its all about but, 141 posted, thats amazing.
robert
Anonymous's picture
ok, won't take the percy sledge stuff
fish
Anonymous's picture
hahahahhahahahaaa
2 dogs and a cat
Anonymous's picture
you ain't seen nuthin yet
Martin T
Anonymous's picture
...careful Mississippi..seems to be a lot of legal activity......doesn't pay to be ungentlemanly in these troubled times
Liana
Anonymous's picture
I loathe and detest that Labi Sifre bleedin' song....it's on an information video for the company I work for, and everytime I've conducted interviews, or open days over the last ten years, I've been forced to sit through the feckin' song TWICE. Then when my eldest started school, it was the "School Song" (whatever happened to Jerusalem????) NOW the bloody things on an advert. I'd like to stick "something so strong inside" Mr.Sifre - like a sodding carving knife. grrrrr.

Pages

Topic locked