Pluto

39 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pluto

For those who don't know, the fate of Pluto hangs in the balance this week. The International Astronomical Union is currently deciding whether to demote it from being a planet to being an 'icy dwarf.'

On the one side is the fact that Pluto is a pathetic little rock smaller than our moon and doesn't even follow the same type of orbit as all the other planets. On the other side is the fact it is the only planet discovered by an American and millions of American schoolchildren have a track record of writing angry letters to anyone who says otherwise.

Spare a thought for poor little Pluto millions of miles away, oblivious to its fate.

Foster
Anonymous's picture
So what will our very educated mothers serve us without Pluto? I say nix it, or add others, perhaps more deserving.
I detect a hint of Anti American-ism... why is it the only form of racism that's totally fine and acceptable to us Brits? There are loads of American Scientists who have made massive contributions - Davenport, Oppenheimer (although as his invention was the fission bomb that might not be a good example), Franklin, (even Linus Pauling until he started going strange with that vitamin C). And America pays its scientists a decent wage - in this country, a post grad Masters biochemist earns less than an assistant manager at McDonalds and the government wonders why people are turning away from the sciences. I thought I'd have a small rant seeing as everyone else is doing it here at the moment. Dan , you now have to sling a personal insult at me and try to blight my character with obscure references to something I once said to somebody about absolutely nothing I had a right to or knew anything about, four months ago.

Go back to your trainer thread harpy (how's that? my memories not so great so I couldn't do the obscure reference thing) Before Archergirlor anyone else leaps in, I have nothing against Americans, I have family in America, I go to America a lot (it'll be 4 times this year), some good friends of mine are American, and I have yet to meet an American I didn't like. Nevertheless, the reason I find the Pluto thing entertaining is because of the politics involved, if it were a purely astronomical matter it would be kind of dull.

I thought Oppenheimer was a German member of Hitlers V1 rocket developing team who defected to the USA after the war.

and I thought Pluto was a dog.
Foster
Anonymous's picture
he was.
Yes, very good but but it needs to be a little stronger. Go back to your trainer thread you saggy-lop-titted harpy, if you like the States so much why don't you f**k off over there and take your half-arsed childish poetic rants with you (the ultimate cutting insult is to directly insult somebody's 'art' you see!) You are absolutely right about pluto and politics. You will have to post photographic evidence of yourself in the USA though now. Robert Oppenheimer was born in New York City - his parents were German immigrants. He studied in Europe but was already back in the USA when WW2 broke out and he began work on the Manhatten project.

Foster
Anonymous's picture
so he was...shoulda googled that one first.
I think it was Bill Gates that was a Nazi and defecated. Visit me http://www.radiodenver.org/

Share your state secrets at...
http://www.amerileaks.org

I'm out of practice with the insults. You missed out my favourite American Scientist, John Von-Neuman. Reckoned in his time to be arguably the most intelligent man alive, he was instrumental in inventing the nuclear bomb, the personal computer (which follows the von-neuman memory model), and the science of economics, he can therefore be said to be the one man most responsible for ruining the twentieth century. And it's not my fault if there were no good planets left to discover by the time America got around to existing. here is a picture of me pointing at the worlds second biggest musical fountain in grand haven, michigan, usa.

Hahahah, that's a great photo. (Yan, he looks nothing like a gerbil.)
what, who said I look like a gerbil?

Yan did apparently jude "Cacoethes scribendi" http://www.judesworld.net

the git

Isn't the pluto issue all about the size? Does that mean Mykle's not really a man?
Ok Jude, I bow to your superior knowledge viz a viz scientists, just don't challenge me on the origins of amazonian rainforest pygmies under wear.

GodA, you are the second person tonight to make me have to clean my keyboard. I shall go to bed chuckling.
If anyone cares, they've decided that Pluto IS a planet. Expect many more planets over the next few years.

I dunno, you wait centuries for a planet to materialise and then...

I'm so pleased for Pluto's mum.
Hmm, I don't know if my mum would be pleased if I was declared a planet... she'd say, "why don't you get a proper job, like a supernova or something?" ~PEPS~ “There is no spoon.”
I suppose Plutons is a bit more realistic (does that mean there are several gods of the Underworld now?) and 12 planets - it is a nice round number. Still, I think it's worth considering that despite all the claims made by various 'experts' we actually know very little about the Universe. It's a bit like a little child running around the back garden assuming that the whole world is similar to the little glimses he gets of life peering through the fence! As a child I used to wonder about these strange people who ran past very fast - they were on bikes but I could only see their heads over the top of the garden wall. We assume, extrapolate and imagine - which is fine if you don't take it too seriously. Dark matter, dark energy, black holes... reminds me of old maps - 'beyond this point there be dragons' :O)
As above so below... much the same with quantum physics, Mykle... Where its practitioners use terms like "spin" and "colour" to describe certain properties of particles... whereas really they know f*ck all about what's going on! (not to put too fine a point on it) ~PEPS~ “There is no spoon.”
Foster
Anonymous's picture
Foster
Anonymous's picture
Foster
Anonymous's picture
Foster
Anonymous's picture
Foster
Anonymous's picture
Foster
Anonymous's picture
sorry about that - would anyone believe it was my 2 year old? It was.
It's Charon I feel sorry for... Charon, the largest of Pluto's three moons, is no longer under consideration for any special designation. ... At least Pluto gets to be a "dwarf planet"...! ~PEPS~ “There is no spoon.”
Poor old pluto, I really thought it was going to make it.

He'll always be a planet in my eyes **sniffle** It aint law if it aint laminated!

There's nothing more mind-teasing than the incomprehensible eagerly avowed -
Dennett

All these bloody rocks coming into our solar system, getting free heat from our sun, demanding to be upgraded to planets. Tell 'em to bugger off back to their own galaxy I say..........
The sun GAVE BIRTH to Pluto - bugger! How dare you! Do you know how far the NEAREST galaxy IS? Next! nextnextnext..OGH! HED KEEQUAI

Dennett

No, but I wish you were a resident.

lol

Give me the beat boys and free my soul! I wanna getta lost in ya rock n' roll and drift away. Drift away...

Got to give it to him - despite all the vitriolic crap he spits most of the time - he does occasionally say something a-musing. HED KEEQUAI

Dennett

Topic locked