My great money saving tip - please add more

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
My great money saving tip - please add more

This is probably obvious but I only spotted it today. It's also only relevant if you shop in Sainsbury's.

Those of you who do shop there will know that Sainsbury's run a thinly disguised scam called Price Match.

At the end of your transaction they give you a slip of paper which basically tells you how much they overcharged you by and next time you shop with them they will refund that amount. But there's a deadline by which you have to use the refund.

My problem is the deadline almost always runs out. Even when I make a return visit and am still due a refund I rarely remember to bring along the slip of paper that entitles me to some money back.

So today I finally worked out a simple way round this.

You just split your shopping into two parts and put one or two of the items you are buying behind the divider, as though they belong to the next shopper.

Then, when they hand you the refund slip for the first part of your shopping, you can use it immediately against the second part of your shopping.

Be aware that sometimes you won't get a refund slip but will be told that today's shopping saved you £X.YZ. But in my experience the refund slip occurs enough times for it to be worth trying this.

If the checkout person challenges you about splitting your purchases into two parts, just say you are doing some shopping for your elderly mum/neighbour and she likes to have a separate receipt.

In the past six months or so I must have lost £30 or so because I failed to use the refund slips on time. It's not a huge amount I will be saving, but it's a great feeling that there is a legitimate way to stop them ripping you off with what is essentially a scam disguised as a money-saving initiative.

Sorry it took so long to explain. Hope it helps.

Anyone else got any other money saving tips they'd care to share?

"they tell you how much they overcharged you by" and yet you go back? Wow! I bet you vote LIb dem as well.

My dislike of Sainsburys dates back to when I worked opposite a big sainsburys and would go there to shop at lunchtimes, see loads of items marked 'pricematch with Tesco' claiming to be as cheap or cheaper, then I'd go to Tesco near my home and look at the same items, most of which would be half the price. Last time I went in Sainsbury i went round and crossed out all the fake tesco prices and wrote in the real ones.

Use your local shop if you can - support independent traders wherever possible and fight against the corporate giants.
and it's one of the natural ingredients of a nice cup of tea.... FTSE, you made me splutter, I love you.

Jesus wept, Stan, I read that as 'get rid of the cat' and wondered why I should exterminate my poor pussy. On the other hand...puked up slugs, flea drops, cat food, mud-covered cushions, dinner-time whinging... I don't have a car (well, not a proper one, anyway), do you think killing the cat will add to my green credentials? http://www.ukauthors.com
to add to FTSE's advice, avoid all pointless insurance. For most companies it's where their serious money comes from, I know for several years it was responsible for 100% of Dixons profits for example. When I was buying a sofa the salesman tried to charge me £275 for insurance for a £500 sofa - hundreds of witty retorts presented themselves, but I was actually too shocked to actually get words out. I walked out but the salesman didn't care, he'd make 2p selling a £500 sofa, but get a 50% cut of the pointless insurance. Unless you really do drive your sofa really carelessly you do not need to insure it.

I would also advise against health insurance. I used to work for a national charity and we did a survey of members on the issue - every single person who'd paid vast sums over their life for health insurance was simply refused care and pushed onto the NHS. It is a big, stinking great scam. I don't know what it's like in other countries, obviously in the UK people buy health insurance for snob value more than anything else, but it really shocking the way they behave.

Vote for a Tory Council when the Tories are in power and a Labour council when Labour are in power. Mysteriously Tory councils get more money from central government when the Tories are in power, thus reducing the amount of tax locals pay towards their own services. Even more mysteriously, exactly the same is true when Labour are in government. By living in a marginal council you can ensure that your council always gets more than it's fair share of central funding, meaning you get better services without having to pay for them.

Some great tips. I can personally vouch for the air travel one. Last time I booked a flight with Easy Jet, I ticked the travel insurance box. Then when I got to the end of the online form, they asked me to confirm that I had read the terms of the contract. So I decided to actually read them. Basically, the message was there were no circumstances whatsoever under which I could ever collect money from that insurance contract. No matter what calamity befell me, it would never pay out. They might as well have had a PLEASE DONATE box, "to help us pay our executive bonuses".
Shop at Aldi (or Lidl, but my preference is Aldi). Seriously. I "lowered my standards" when I was unemployed earlier this year, through necessity. When I got back that first time, I went straight onto the Tesco website and tallied up how much the equivalent products would have cost me. I had saved myself £40 on my shopping. Obviously, you can't get everything from Aldi, but you can get most things. And the food quality is actually just as good once you get past the fact it's not Heinz or Tesco Finest :) Oh, and (note to self) stop buying designer boxers every pay day. That's £40 beer money!! (But I'll never learn!)