Ted Hughes is no good

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ted Hughes is no good

...for my creativity.

Does anyone else find that rather than being inspired by genius one is somehow thwarted by it in the knowledge that one will always fall short?

Every flippin day!

Never. Who is this teddy hughes anyway?

The Liverpool footballer...or was that Emlyn?

Ted is my Plath. She does the same to me.

When I stood for Parliament in 1979 (Tiverton, Labour!) I knocked on his door. All I had was Hughes, E. on the electoral register so I had no idea who lived in this little cottage. He just said 'no thankyou' and closed the door on me. I stood there trying to say 'blow me, you're that Ted Hughes' - but just a load Ums and Ers came out. Ho Hum.
All the time and especially with Hughes. I still love his work, though, and I know that reading it closely will eventually have a positive effect on my writing.
No modern poet makes me feel that way but Shakespeare does and Blake and all the Romantic poets.
Wow well-wisher, not even something like Heaney's "Death of a Naturalist" or Hughes' "Thought Fox" or his "Full Moon and Little Freda"? No matter, we each have a muse. I suppose the same thing is evoked in you by the older maestros. The thing is when I look for inspiration it often leaves me with a huge feeling of inadequacy and the idea of self delusion. Then I tell myself 'listen scratch, Ted Hughes was a genius poet laureat; get a grip' and stop comparing a diamond with a lump of coal'.

Stan those are grounded words of wisdom that I think I really needed to hear today mate. Thanks.

Emily Dickinson is another one for me. She just seemed to breathe poetry and all her little poems manage to be amazingly profound in a Zen Haiku way that I can never achieve. How do you get that wisdom that great poets have?
Lovin the whizz-dum of this post innit.

Parson Thru

Good point WBK. I enjoy reading poetry to a point, then get bored. I would feel guilty about boring others, but something has to be read to bore someone. I don't know what the hell inspires me. Mainly music, film, some (bits of) novels and dreams. And the strangest thing of all: real life.

Parson Thru

I love Peter Porter's 'Your Attention Please'; a classic of the cold war era. It reminds me of the TV movie "Threads" and the animated movie "When The Wind Blows" and really gets across the absurdity of Nuclear war.
When I was a teenager, and hadn't written a single creative word, I wanted to grow up to be Alice Munro. I'd still like to do that, but I realise it's not going to happen. So I've settled for just being me, and churning out my own rubbish. I know I'm not a great writer, but I do think of myself as a writer. Not every musician gets to be a great mega super star. Thw world is full of talented session musicians, and people scraping a living doing what they love. I've lowered my expectations. But I still get inspired by writers I think are really good, and try to learn from them. I'm rambling. I will stop now.