Down And Out In The Jobcentre by QueenElf

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Down And Out In The Jobcentre by QueenElf

I really enjoyed this. It felt very real and avoided the usual stereotypes. However, you've put me off working there for life!

http://www.abctales.com/story/queenelf/down-and-out-in-the-jobcentre

Wow, what a vivid view of DSS life. I agree with Tara, that is a place I could never find myself working, I'd be too afraid. Good read though.
This really is a corker. An undoubted cherry goes to it. Slices of real life in the raw make great material - now you need to take your experiences in the Job Centre and craft them with your vivid imagination into something larger.
i enjoyed the realistic but not melodramatic description of the jobcentre and the descriptions of the dss work culture - it reminds me of when i used to work for dss. the story has an almost fable like element to it though - stories about gods and kings disguised as beggars.
Thanks for the comments, I was just about to change this, maybe add more of a "punch" to it. There's a lot more where that one came from, I just have to abide by the official secrets act and keep some names out of it. Lisa.

Lfuller

well done for the cherry - i still feel the focus should be tighter on the Gavin story - as the end for me peters out a little. But i do think the writing is honest, vivid and unpretensious. Juliet

Juliet

Nice one, Lisa. Keep up the great work! Paul

Thanks Juliet, I know I'll have to work on it, but I'm still unsure where the split should be. Should I give Gavin the whole story, or just tweak it a bit? All comments are welcomed. Lisa.

Lfuller

Think this was a well written honest view of DSS, very enjoyable with a strong message at the end. Well done Lisa. Harry Kerdean
Thanks Harry, I needed the stregth of the 1st part to combat the message of the ending. I wish I wasn't so constrained by the Official secrets act, maybe I'll throw caution to the wind someday. Lisa.

Lfuller

I know a few people who work in the field and you certainly reflect several of the experiences they have had. I liked the simplicity of the story. Nice not to have to wade through to much prose.
Lisa I know what you're saying about the beginning, you needed to paint the picture ofeveryday life at the DSS to show the meaning at the end. you must be a strong character not to have let it all grind you down and come out of it despising the people frequenting the place, you know, with everyone trying it on all the time it must be easy to just judge them all the same. Harry Kerdean
Topic locked