What's the fastest speed you've ever driven at?

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
What's the fastest speed you've ever driven at?

Me? 108mph. But I was drunk at the time so it was OK.

120mph, and i almost poohed my pants.
Have on occasion been known to walk at between 7-10 mph...tend to get dizzy if i prolong that speed if prolonged or try and go faster, so as i say only on occasion. Bit scary also, as i tend to lose co-ordination. :-0(
It's all relative. I was in once driven at 80 in a 30 limit. Very fucking scary, not just because the trees whip by at such a rate but so do the pedestrians and kids. Never went with him again. (That was 30 years ago, mind). Me? In this country, probably about 115 on the speedometer, which would equate to about 100mph on a calibrated speedometer (I was on an on empty motorway). Abroad, much more. Probably 140 (again not *real* speed). Not anymore though, I've always driven within my limits and, as such, find my speed dwindling with every year - tho' I'd like to point out that those speeds were when I was a *responsible* driver and not when a teenager ... although I somehow seem to have 6 points om my license even now. My worst accident happened less than a mile from my house. It wasn't my fault. It was a head on collision. I wasn't speeding. Neither was the guy coming towards me. The guy leaving the junction was doing about 15mph. He drove into the guy coming towards me and the guy coming towards me drove into me - despite my best efforts to avoid him. And it hurt. And that was ONLY at a combined collision speed of 40mph. But, then, I wasn't speeding, nor was anyone else/

Hmm...probably 90mph once or twice. There's nothing more mind-teasing than the incomprehensible eagerly avowed - Dennet

There's nothing more mind-teasing than the incomprehensible eagerly avowed -
Dennett

I don't drive but have been in some fast situations. I remember being in the front seat of a rickety old Granada with a loony tune driving. I was out of my face on speed and ecstasy and we were hammering down country lanes at about a hundred miles an hour. I didn't even have a seat belt on. Looking in the back at two of my mates clinging on for dear life everything came together in my head and I grabbed my seat belt while asking if he'd ever had a serious crash, he replied that twenty something was his record, when I asked what he meant record he told me write-off's in a month. He said it all rather calmly as well. He did know the road well though. nobody
Was once driving with a person nicked for going 'at least 140' (the arresting officer's speedometer topped out). I was dozing in the passenger seat. He explained to me recently how it was all my fault.

Somewhere around 110mph, I think. But I'm no adrenaline junkie; I keep my speed to 90mph on the motorway, and only if it's a clear road. Otherwise it's a careful 75mph. The scariest driving, however, had nothing to do with speed/velocity, but the fact that I was tripping on acid, with six other acid-trippers stuffed into the car with me, while we wendled our way along a very dark and winding unpaved desert road toward the nearby mountains. Everything was pink and green (and this was at night) and although I could see a curve in the road up ahead, it took *hours* to get to it.
120 in my old Rover 620. Put it down to the stupidity of youth, I was only 48.
I like to keep under 80 on the motorway. Just once I glanced down and realised I was going 110. I was taking Gordon to Gatwick after a long stay. He was telling me his views on something I apparently didn’t fully understand. ~ www.fabulousmother.com
I dunno. Probably 80 once or twice. I haven't driven much. ~ I'll Show You Tyrants * Fuselit * The Prowl Log * Woe's Woe
Back in the day, one of my hobbies was Drag Racing. Think the fastest I ever did in a quarter-mile was 179 in my 69 Chevy Camaro. Visit me http://www.radiodenver.org/

Share your state secrets at...
http://www.amerileaks.org

Oh Archergirl I just love you. 'We wendled our way.' You've just invented a new word that SHOULD be in the English canon. It's such a cuddly, yummy word for strolling around the English or any countryside. Wending just doesn't quite do it; it's almost arch. (sorry!) But 'wendling' now that's just fucking onomatopoaeic! And before the erudites start complaining about spelling, I've uncovered about six variations of the spelling of onomatobollixic.

http://www.koopress.co.uk/speaking.htm Sorry Styx, I have to pull you over for that one. AG didn't invent a new word. I've used it myself and have seen/heard others use it too. I know it isn't correct - the past tense of 'wend' is probably 'wended' - but, people do say 'wendled'.

I like 'wendle'; it's like a combination of 'wend' and 'amble'; Styx, you have understood the connotation exactly!
You can pull me all you like S.P. but the first known usage in print is by A.G.. What's that programme that Victoria Coren fronts on Beeb 2, about words and their origins? We should get 'wendling' into the OED. It IS a much betterer word than wending.

I don't drive - but I've hit 38 on my bicycle in a 30 zone!
Wendled isn't correct? Oh. Oops. I quite often find I've been saying things incorrectly for years. A single example escapes me at the moment of course. Too sleepy. ~ www.fabulousmother.com
Re fastest speed... 2mph, around the school playground, with my dad, in my first and only driving lesson ever... (I might have got up to 4mph) Re "wendled"... By a strange coincidence, the first thing that comes up when I do an MSN Search via MS Word is an article based on an event set in my very own home town... http://worcesterforpeace.users.btopenworld.com/morris.htm (see last but 2 paragraph for usage of the word "wendled") ... and when I Predictive-Text "wendling" on my mobile phone it suggests "wendking"... wazzat when it's at home?!) ~PEPS~ [ insert pithy and poignant quote ]

The All New Pepsoid the Second!

Yes, wendking should only be done at home. I have travelled at the speed of light, between worlds.
So that's how you and AG manage to be the same person! ;-) ;-) ;-) ~PEPS~ You can’t finish a man till he’s finished his Texan Bar

The All New Pepsoid the Second!

120. On an empty-ish motorway, listening to the best bit of the best NOFX song.
Topic locked