500 Word Limit

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
500 Word Limit

It was until I attempted it the other night, that I realized how extremely difficult it is to write a story with this kind of unimaginable word limit. I mean sure, you see it done practically everywhere — well, I do, anyway — and it looks simple. Just find an idea, and talk about it until the limit is up. It's harder than it looks! I'm pulling my hair out; stressing in this effort to complete a decent 500 word limited story. Personally — and I know it may not seem like it — I'm used to writing long — generally long, anyway — like, novel-sized stories. So, trying to pack all the necessary information into one tiny short, all while keeping my reader's interested is hard.

How does one do it? :/

Below I've provided the link to a story I just posted. If you'd like, take a gander. It's the perfect example of my 500-word-limited-story fail.

http://www.abctales.com/story/jessicaa/office

Thank you Stan. :D That was very helpful. I'll take a look.

Jess

How do you do that?! :O I'll try...and I see what you're getting at. Thanks a bunch! :D

Jess

Fabulous thread from which I have learned. Brilliant.

You made it so clear Stan, thank you. :) Though, practice indeed. I tend to overlook things and try to make them as descriptive as possible. But what you say is true. I'll try to keep a closer eye on things of this respect.

Jess

This is really interesting. I told my class today - "good creative writing creates questions, bad creative writing gives answers". And then went on to demand the explicit use of adjectives and adverbs etc. A contradiction if ever there was one - needless to say no-one noticed it (12/13 year olds). I suppose that all told we have to learn the value of enhancing image through description and then understand the importance of giving just enough detail to make the reader gag for it.

I would suggest having a look at Rob's word, rjlewellyn, he writes everything to a 200 wordcount. Every one of his stories is like one of those miniature paintings done on a pin head. The detail that he gets in there is amazing. We could all learn from him.

And of course you already have done Jess. Many times.

That's why it is said the short is more difficult to write than a novel. I was going to post Hemingway's one too, but Stan beat me to it. He (Hemingway) is said to have called it his best work. It's not those few words, it's the story you make up around it, in your head. That's the skill - and what you have to get the reader to do. Loved your précis, Stan - spot on! http://www.ukauthors.com
Hmm, the old 'show, don't tell'. One thing I love about writing is the gift of fooling your readers (especially those who don't write themselves). It's all about the skill, isn't it. When we writers learn these techniques and apply them to our writing, we create worlds; incredible descriptions; even realistic diologue, and, therefore, fool our readers into believing it (an engrossing short piece, for example) comes absolutely naturally. And for some, it does...but it's all about the skill. Or am I wrong? Like, for me, as an example, I started writing at a young age (like 7 or 8 years old, I think), and amazed my teachers and classmates, believe it or not, with the quality of it. I didn't know a thing about writing then — perhaps just to capitalize the first letter of the first word in a sentence, and to eliminate run-on sentences, etc. Yet, I still managed to incorporate these skills to my writing. As I grew more, I learned new things and discovered that the way I wrote had techniques about it that I wasn't even aware of at the time (of course, as I grew, I also tried to perfect them). I suppose now that I say it this way, it seems pretty obvious. Bottom line, this is something I'm going to have to learn. Although my writing comes naturally, it definately isn't the greatest work known to man — or remotely close. This thread is interesting because, it has taught me the importance of showing, and not telling. To me, it's this technique that we use, sometimes absentmindly. And it works like a charm. By the way, I already read some of MarkBrown's work, and he's brilliant. In it, I see a lot of what Stan has told me somewhere above: To "[k]eep your description precise and to the point." This is something I'm going to have to learn, because I'm so used to doing the complete opposite. :P

Jess

How about... 'It's 96 - the temperature at which Canadians melt, and the beach reaches out behind me for the last time.'

Wow, I really like that lavadis. You got a way with words. ;)

Jess

The Hemingway story that Stan's added in his comments sticks to the bare bones with a couple of words each for a beginning, middle and end. Six words is hard going for most people. My flash fiction pieces are usually 50-100 words. http://chroniclesoftania.wordpress.com/flash-fiction/ Flash Fiction is great discipline for a writer to not dilute the story with a lot of words. This makes it tough to write a novel with 80,000 words!
Thanks again Stan. You always know how to lift my spirits - even if they don't necessarily need lifting. :) I believe in what you're saying and am encouraged to proceed because of it. Thank you. As for King and Lamott, I seem to have lost a link you gave me to something of theirs (if you even gave me one). If you have, could you maybe send me it again? If not, lol, I'll simply search for it myself. By the way...do you like my style of writing or is it, I don't know, childish. :P Thanks.

Jess

Stan gives fantastic advice. I'm a big Carver fan too. Small word limits are a fantastic way to learn not to waste words. I'm finding time and time again that I can edit stories I wrote a few years back, when I first started taking writing seriously, to around half their original length, without losing anything that really matters. I actually think flash fiction is closer to poetry than anything else. You don't need lots of explanation, just the bare bones, as long as they're good bones! Good luck with your writing Jessica.

Topic locked