Atheism: the New Fundamentalism?

56 posts / 0 new
Last post
Atheism: the New Fundamentalism?

I number a couple of atheists amongst my friends and acquaintances. I begin to think that the increasingly vocal arguments for atheism, by atheists, are in many ways not dissimilar to the POVs exhibited by what we would call 'fundamentalists' in the organised religions, e.g. there is a flat and unquestioned denial of the possibility of the existence of something which doesn't adhere to their perspective. They spout on about 'The God Delusion' and somesuch, and one friend of mine in particular (a research fellow in haematology, if that matters)is so rabidly anti-religion and so 'for' atheism, I feel he almost misses the point.

Being that I am somewhere between a 'non-religious spiritualist' (for want of a better term) and an agnostic who is still deeply interested in religious teachings, I find the 'dogma' of atheism a little hard to swallow, just as I do the unquestioning beliefs of other fundamentalists.

What think you, good people? Are atheists pushing their agenda in the same manner as those of a zealously religious bent?

I know it's often counter-productive (and likely to spark conflict) but I can't help but feel that it's about time people started being a bit more zealous in their atheism. I want to tell people who believe in a particular religion that their massively wrong and its patently obvious. Spiritualism is fine but come on, how can anyone justify a specific faith? How can anyone pick one over any other? Religions are just traditions. Like manners. Passed down through and particular to one culture. I would be up for shouting at religious people if I didn't think that religion can often be a force for good and that - miraculously - many religious people are not stupid.
No. No they aren't. It's a well established rhetorical trick to accuse atheists of answering religious faith with a replacement faith of 'not having a faith'. It certainly isn't a fundamentalism, because to be fundamentalist you need to believe in the complete truth of a (not)bible as the direct word of a (not)god. There's a difference between pointing out there's no scientifically provable evidence for a God or Gods and berating people for not seeing it that way. And anyone occupying any position in this debate should now whether they mean religious belief, religious teachings or doctrine, religious political power and spiritual sensation, transcendent experience and existential security or lack of that security. Plus, it depends what their flat denial is of, doesn't it? If they're denying the idea of a god, that's different from denying proof of a god, isn't it? Science is a way of finding out what makes stuff happen, by measuring things, predicting what might happen next, then seeing if the prediction was right. Religion is a very different beast. It only plays into the hands of people who enjoy hugely tedious arguments to fudge the two together. Cheers, Mark

I want to tell people who believe in a particular religion that their massively wrong and its patently obvious. Should that not be 'they're massively wrong' and are you slipping in these little errors to negate the title of T.N.B.T.I.B.F that TCs bestowed on you? he he he jude "Cacoethes scribendi" http://www.judesworld.net

I've got to try and control the hype somehow.
I like religion. You get nice songs and incense and stuff. jude "Cacoethes scribendi" http://www.judesworld.net

"I find the 'dogma' of atheism a little hard to swallow, just as I do the unquestioning beliefs of other fundamentalists. What think you, good people? Are atheists pushing their agenda in the same manner as those of a zealously religious bent?" There isn't a dogma of atheism. Atheism just means not believing in God, it isn't a set of principles and traditions. An atheist might be dogmatic about what they think and why but it doesn't really affect whether or not they're an atheist. Personally, I kept more than 75% of my religious dogma when I became an atheist.

Well, I was using sort of broad generalisations in order to spark a discussion, though hopefully not a tedious one! My knowledge of atheism is admittedly sketchy as I have no interest in becoming an atheist. Neither am I interested in taking on a certain religion. But it seems to me that atheists, by the nature of their arguments toward a 'lack of proof of the existence of God', slide into the realms of dogmatism, e.g. a sort of scientific dogma, as it were. Certainly it seems that way amongst my friends, who squawk about the need for 'proof'. Why does everything need proof? In other words, it is easier for me to believe in the existence of some sort of higher power, than it is for me not to, and I don't really need it proven by empirical means. I suppose it's because I occupy the grey areas between belief/nonbelief in 'God'(and I heartily dislike the anthropomorphic idea of 'God'), in the realm of "I have no fricking idea", that I find both the arguments of atheists as to why there can't be a God, and the smug assurances of religious people that there IS a God, quite tedious. I'm a fence-sitter, me.
Science is all about proof. As far as I understand, Science looks for proofs, not absences of proof. It's looking for a relationship like 'condition A could only be reached by a the application of A'. To prove something as 'true' scientifically, you need to narrow down to the narrowest possible margin what causes something. Therefore, to say that 'A was caused by God' doesn't really work, as there are other things that may have caused A. You aren't a fence sitter, archergirl. You are someone who is suspicious of organised religions, but have an innate sense of the spiritual, an orientation toward believing something beyond normal experience. this puts you in the same category as most people in the UK. In this you tend toward the physical, psychical end of religious experience, which you interpret as something outside of normal life. To be a fence sitter would be to remain in a state of readiness to experience evidence either way. Science and the subjective are at odds. Cheers, Mark

I'm not an atheist particularly, though I also find it incredulous that intelligent people can be deeply christian. Three of the doctors at the practice I work at (one a consultant surgeon) are all deeply religious, and it really does amaze me. I am more ready to accept a generally spiritual stance, as I am also open to the belief that 'this' is not all there is. Generally, I tend towards the fact that it is though. I'd LOVE to feel otherwise... I can only imagine the freedom and comfort it gives.
'Science and the subjective are at odds.' Well, yes, in most things I suppose so, although physics, especially the 'higher' or more abstract branches of physics, occupies a space that encapsulates both scientific empiricism and something that is almost mystical. The argument between fundamentalist religions (those who deny evolution, for example) and hard science seems to fall down here. My scientist friends, who argue against the existence of a creating force, say that all the wonders of the universe can be explained (mostly) scientifically. But it's the 'mostly' stuff that I wonder about. The atheism I am trying to get a handle on here isn't the sort of garden-variety atheism that exists to a large extent in secular societies such as here in Britain. I agree with Spack that atheists ought to be able to propound their views as vocally as the orthodox religions do, in a free society. It just seems to me that the more vocal atheists get in their arguments against a God (e.g. atheism making its way into popular culture via books, etc.), the more they begin to sound like their opposites. In the States there's a big argument raging about taking the word 'God' out of the pledge of allegiance, for example. I'm making my point very badly here, and I don't know how to better explain myself. It's the intention *behind* the movement I'm trying to examine. ???
Enzo v2.0
Anonymous's picture
"Science and the subjective are at odds". This, of course, goes back to the Greeks. But here's the reason why I'm not more anti-theistic in my atheism: I don't like the idea that a rejection of god automatically makes me pro-science, as if the whole of thought on individual, societal and global 'purpose' can be split on some kind of 2 dimensional scale - or even worse, a dichotomy of science and god...it's simply not the case. Not suggesting that's what's being said here, but it is said all too often for my liking. I share wholeheartedly Liana's sense of incredulity. And I admit, when people throw their god in my face, I can be inclined to express that incredulity unsympathetically. For the most part though, I couldn't care less if you worship Christ, Allah or the Tooth Fairy. I just believe that for the most part they're all interchangeable. Enzo.. Buy my book! http://www.amazon.co.uk/o/ASIN/1846855187/
I actually agree with most of you but sshh ... I'm not supposed to. I am not even a Theist. I would call myself a Deist. According to a source 'Deism is a category of belief in god (Spirit, Deity, ground of being, etc...) based on reason, experience, and the observation of nature. Deism differs from Theism in that Theism is a traditional and scriptural based category of belief in God, where Deism is a rational based category of belief in god.' But my main reason for calling myself a deist is that I cannot label my 'Higher Power' with the attributes of the God of theism ('omnipotent', 'omniscient' and especially 'morally perfect') I call myself a 'Christian' because I believe that I follow his message. Everything this man was about can be found in 'The Lord's Prayer' and his two commandments (Love God and your neighbour). People complicated it because that's what people do. Most Christians see Trinitarian doctrine as a test of Christian Orthodoxy but I am a deist, a universalist and still consider myself Christian. This whole trinity business and Christ's divinity came in at the council of Chalcedon.

I thought you meant the crack down on women in Iran.Girls arrested for not covering their heads enough. Thank whatever one likes to thank for the freedom to think and differ.

There is a school of thought that suggests spirituality or feeling about same is a gene.Another idea is that we start to dissolve at a quantum level as we age becoming aware of "other things.But quite apart from all that isn't writng often a reaching towards something beyond ourselves,meaning,collective unconscious,an attempt to articulste something .When one reads or very occasionally writes something that works there is a brrrr about it,

True. What fascinates me is why people are so bothered by what other people believe. In this country where we have the freedom to practice whatever religion, spirituality or none why can't we all just get on with whatever we choose. Why do people have this desperate need to go around trying to convert? jude "Cacoethes scribendi" http://www.judesworld.net

Enzo v2.0
Anonymous's picture
Yeah, quite often people like to make their point forcefully and repeatedly until other people either agree, die or go away. I don't know why either. I think we all do it to some extent though - it's in the nature of even the most 'civilised' of debates. Enzo.. Buy my book! http://www.amazon.co.uk/o/ASIN/1846855187/
I think sometimes (not always) it has something to do with insecurity. Are they really trying to convert another? Or actually trying to reassure themselves? jude "Cacoethes scribendi" http://www.judesworld.net

Yes. For good 'reason' :)) 'The God Delusion' is excellent, btw. Recommended it!!! ;) When the power of love overcomes the love of power, we'll find peace. - Jimi Hendrix

~It's a maze for rats to try, it's a race for rats to die.~

I agree wholeheartedly with both Jude and Enzo on this, and my own views probably fall very close indeed to Jude's, (although without the scholarly knowledge behind it!:-)). Enzo is right about the difference between a-theism and anti-theism. I think some people don't get this. I too object to the 'either/or' philosophy: that science and religion are not compatible, and cannot coexist with one another. It was just the vehemence of the *anti*-theism of my friend, combined with various other theism-things, that got me thinking about this. I realise that, like religion, atheism must have shades and shades of variation, but I thought it interesting that someone could be just as fanatically anti-god as some are pro-god. In the end, much like Enzo, I couldn't give a flip what others believe in; as long as they don't try to choke me with it!
I think David's point is most pertinent - atheism can't be much of a fundamentalist perspective when it's only tenet is that God doesn't exist. It's not as if the only thing that religious extremists have ever wanted to force the rest of us into doing is *believing* in their particular God. They want us to worship him as well, and obey an entire system of rules whose only foundation is often that they're purportedly the 'word' of that God. Ask again when atheists are going round promising that anyone who believes in God is going to be severely punished for all eternity following their death.
Well, I think the point I am making is that not all atheists are as indifferent to 'conversion' as you'd like to think, otherwise, why make all the arguments for the reasons that God can't and doesn't exist? Why publish books about it? Surely, if this is not a form of proselytising, then what is it? Its aim is not merely just to state the case for God's lack of existence, but also to convince those who sit on the fence, to fall off, on the side of atheism. Yes? "again when atheists are going round promising that anyone who believes in God is going to be severely punished for all eternity following their death." This is flawed from the start; of course they're not going to promise anything of the sort, because it's not in their belief system, and anyone who doesn't already believe in this, will not believe it anyhow. But there is a kind of subtle arrogance amongst *some* atheists that implies if you don't fully follow the 'logical' reasons as to why God doesn't exist, then the 'unbeliever' is therefore either illogical at best, and delusional at worst. Those are the same arguments, IMO, that religious proselytisers use, so it can't be right. As some above said, if you feel so strongly that you have to convince others of the correctness of your perspective, then it's more about *you* than about them.
Yes, trying to convince people that it's a woman's right to choose to have a baby or not, and that God should keep out of her womb is *so* about me. Cheers, Mark

Mark's made the point more succinctly than I could. People write books to state the case for God's lack of existence for the same reason people write books stating any case, or arguing for any cause, or putting about any kind of truth or information - because ignorance can be dangerous. In the case of religion, ignorance can be genocidal. Truth sets us free. That's the idea that's at play here. You say it is 'subtle arrogance' to try to convince anyone of the irrationality of their point of view. I think you've got it entirely the wrong way round. I can't think of anything more smug than not seeing any need to convince anyone else of the 'correctness' of your perspective. If you think you're right, and they're wrong, and you do nothing about it, that suggests you don't believe they're capable of being as rational and clever as you.
Ultimately the only thing that matters is tolerance. People will always have a vast array of differing beliefs, regarding morality, religion or whatever. We will (probably) never have a Universal World-Wide Religion, which everyone believes in or is supposed to pretend they believe in. But that said, I suppose it might make sense, at some point in the future history of mankind, to distil it down to the fundamental moral precepts of most of the popular religions, and say, "these are the things you should believe in." And these fundamental precepts would probably come down to precisely the things Jude mentions as encapsulating Christianity - "Love God and your neighbour" - where "God" is an all-encompasing notion of Goodness, Tolerance, Forgiveness, etc; and "your neighbour" is not only all of your fellow human beings but indeed all of your fellow living creatures and even ALL THINGS. Religions fundamentally tend to come down to these things. The notion of "loving God and your neighbour" (as defined above) is really (is it not?) the only thing truly worth convincing anyone else of (the value in believing). Regarding the specifics of Atheism, I am generally in agreeance with AG. We don't know anything. Yes, Science is about proof - but we don't have enough proof to ultimately proove anything, without the merest shadow of a doubt. Some things seem more likely than others, but there are always factors which get in the way of seeing things as clearly as we might like - cultural factors, our ability as individuals to communicate our "scientific (etc) findings," constantly evolving scientific methods, and the fact that ultimately we are only human beings who only have a limited perceptual potential. It could be said that the most sensible belief system to fall into is Agnosticism - in the sense of never really truly believing anything, being open to any ideas that may be thrown at us, but perhaps having swayings/leanings in particular directions. On-the-Fence-ism rules! pe ps oid ... What is "The Art of Tea"? ... (www.pepsoid.wordpress.com)

The All New Pepsoid the Second!

I think that you, Jack and Mark, are twisting what I'm saying. I'm not talking about the side issues which get enmeshed in morality discussions here, because there are those who believe in God who will also say that God should stay out of a woman's womb, and not all abortion debates can be pointed at God as the deciding factor. It's not as black and white as you're trying to make it out to be, with a distinct boundary between God-people vs non-God-people. You also suggest that ignorance can be dangerous. I would argue that an absolute conviction that you are correct is *also* dangerous, especially if born out of the faulty idea of 'scientific proof': Josef Mengele was convinced that there were scientific reasons why Jews and gypsies were different from Aryans, and went about quite methodically and empirically trying to prove it. That is more scary, to me. It goes back to that fantastic quote out of the film 'Contact': 95% of the world believes otherwise than you [the atheist]; are ALL of them deluded? I'm not trying to fight the majority here, I hope you'll understand! Just exploring the concepts. Peps, I agree with you, 100%. :-)
I don't think atheists are fundamentalists but sometimes, they can be evangelical. That I think is the point you're trying to make, AG. I don't want anyone on my doorstep bleating about Dawkins' book and trying to win me over to atheism any more that I want a JW with a copy of the watchtower. As it goes, I have read the book (The God Delusion, not The Watchtower) and I thought it was ok. Not as good as the blind watchmaker though. The Blind watchmaker was so good as a beautifully constructed, philosophically sound demolition of the 'argument to design' from Paley to modern day proponents of the fine-tuning theory. In GD, his counter arguments for the three main proofs of God's existence were, in the field of philosophy, nothing new. It was a disappointing 'same-old' IMO. jude "Cacoethes scribendi" http://www.judesworld.net

"Peps, I agree with you, 100%. :-)" ... :-))) pe ps oid ... What is "The Art of Tea"? ... (www.pepsoid.wordpress.com)

Archergirl, I'm not twisting what you say. Read my posts further up the thread. It's you that's caricaturing my position. The point I was making, is that people generally only have strong opinions, or get enmeshed in brisk arguments, when what they feel to be correct is encroached upon by other people's idea of what is correct. It's always great form in debating to invoke Nazi Germany to refute someone's argument. It has the effect of strengthening your own point immensely, especially if the comparison is fairly spacious. Atheism generally runs along as a quiet parallel to world events until a particular front is opened up by the encroachment of religious ideas, in a damaging or disruptive manner. Evangelical religion, that believes in a battle between good and bad in real time, is always looking to expand it's sphere of influence. This can involve considered, premeditated assaults on particular received or established ideas. Witness the planning of the promotion of 'Intelligent Design', intended to create a bridgehead into science in schools and universities. I'm sorry Archergirl, it's you that's blurring the boundaries between religion as system and personal religious experience. I always studiously point out the difference between the two, and the points at which the two meet. Religion is politics in that it has real world effects and sets forward certain actions and modes of being as desirable. It's a bit simplistic to state that people who want to bring about change in the world are all about themselves. People follow particular ideas, propound them and defend them for a variety of reasons. This applies to people who are religious and people who aren't. I don't give a toss what people believe and how they experience and understand spirituality. What I do give a toss about is the notion that religious beliefs, when they are enacted in the real world, should be considered by a different set of principles than non-religious actions. Cheers, Mark

"It has the effect of strengthening your own point immensely, especially if the comparison is fairly spacious." I think you mean 'specious'...? :-) But thank you. "it's you that's blurring the boundaries between religion as system and personal religious experience." Yes, probably. I don't give much thought to the difference between them, as I am comfortable in my own beliefs and feel that one doesn't need one to have the other; but obviously this may not be the majority opinion in some parts. Jude, yes, absolutely; 'evangelical' was the word I should have used, not 'fundamental'. I find it just as annoying. "It's a bit simplistic to state that people who want to bring about change in the world are all about themselves." I don't think anyone was saying this, Mark. There is a huge difference between bringing about change in the world through action; and bringing about change in the world by trying to prove that your beliefs are superior to others' through the production of 'evidence'. The ones who feel compelled to produce 'evidence' are most likely the ones who feel that others' beliefs threaten their own shaky ones. I think that for the most part, both atheists and many religious people are ultimately working for the better good of the world in their own ways; sometimes they're compatible, sometimes not. The noisy ones get the most attention; it's the quiet ones who just get on with things that may be more effective.
Your argument was particularly roomy though, wasn't it? I don't think that most atheists would question that spiritual experiences, experiences that are extraordinary and that seem to transcend normal experience, occur for most most people, they'd just hold back from using them as evidence for a higher power. It seems to be a common misconception to believe that looking to explain something is the same as 'explaining it away'. It perfectly possible to keep a world full of wonder and the experience of transcending the ordinary while understanding the chemical and/or physical process that make it happen. I think you're attacking a position that isn't really there, though. In the main, atheists are in a minority and therefore have to shout louder to get themselves heard. If this is trying to get other people to question their ideas, so be it. Religious ideas have been in the position of dominance for a fair while now, and they did get there somehow. I think I'm snapping at your heals so much because the conflating of individual spiritual experience and organised religion makes for a very frustrating argument. I'd argue that even an atheist isn't suggesting that you should not have individual feelings, either physical, mental or somewhere inbetween, of spirituality and make sense of them in your own way. People choose the form of religion, or no religion, that suits them best and makes sense of their experience most. An atheist would say that there's no need to invoke a higher power to explain our experience, as everything is explicable. An atheist would also say that we need to work on our ability to accept that we don't know 'why' something happens, knowing as we do that we're a 'why' based intelligence. I'm happy to explore my 'why' without needing an immediate or comforting answer. Cheers, Mark

No, I agree Mark, my arguments are full of holes! Perhaps 'well-ventilated', rather than spacious. :-) I don't mind you snapping at my heels because it is helping me figure things out, so thanks. I'm simply exploring this because I happen to have a very vocally atheistic AND anti-religious friend, and it baffles me when people hold such militant views, whether religious or political or otherwise. I understand that not all atheists are anti-religion, or vice-versa, or whatever. I don't understand atheism because it does not fit my experience of the world, which is full of marvellous things that fall outside any logical or reasonable explanation, certainly not by the rather limited knowledge we have gained through 'science'. 'Science' as we know it is only a couple hundred years old, although the roots go back much further, and is evolving only at the rate that the technology evolves in order to encompass it. Religion hasn't been entirely perpetrated by evangelical zealots shoving it down people's throats; syncretism was used in many places to bring Christianity to the pagans and really was more of a shift in shape, rather than content. A manipulation of the evidence, as it were. Yes, I feel atheists are due their fair share of trumpeting, since one is forced to listen to so much drivel in support of organised religions most of the time. Speaking only for me, I still find it baffling.:-)
At least militant atheists don't tell us to turn away from religion using megaphones at Oxford Circus. I think the mad christian who used to preach here was given an asbo banning him from carrying a megaphone in public... but another one has taken his place. I think there are acceptable ways of trying to put a point across like writing a book or posting on a forum like this. And then there are unacceptable ways. If I had a 'friend' like yours AG, who vehemently tried to attack my choice of spiritual and religious practices and/or belief, I would find that unacceptable (especially if it is implied that I am somehow more 'stupid' , gullible or insecure than them) and would probably not choose to spend much time with them . If anyone would like a good read btw, I recommend the 'History of God' by Karen Armstrong. http://www.salon.com/books/int/2006/05/30/armstrong/ I love her description of herself as a 'freelance monotheist'! One of the reasons I struggle today with organised religion is the point Spack brought up...how do you choose just one? If God reveals himself, how does one account for the plurality of religion? It's a cop-out to say that all religions are a facet of one truth (Ramakrishna was probably the greatest advocate of this theory). It is a nice idea but a logical impossibility. I am digressing now so apologise! jude "Cacoethes scribendi" http://www.judesworld.net

"If I had a 'friend' like yours AG, who vehemently tried to attack my choice of spiritual and religious practices and/or belief, I would find that unacceptable (especially if it is implied that I am somehow more 'stupid' , gullible or insecure than them) and would probably not choose to spend much time with them" Well, he never attacks me personally, which would definitely be unacceptable; I suppose I'm able to slip out of it because I don't argue from a *purely* religious perspective. He's as militantly atheistic as he is militantly anti-many things, especially Islam; this is why I was raising the point that militancy in *any* form makes one as bad as another. A point he misses, I might add. But I'm okay with his mickey-taking because I know he's wrong. I say this with only a small amount of tongue-in-cheek. But it does seem to me that the atheist polemics are getting more and more publicity, or more impetus behind them; and I wonder about the zeitgeist that makes it so. Is it in pure reaction to the religious machine that has taken over the world?
Here it is for me. People who believe in God are stupid in that there so is no reason to believe in God for any other reason than a) tradition and b) not wanting to believe that when you're dead, you're dead. If you like attending church, and church is a lovely place to meet unassuming people who are good at making cookies that melt in your mouth, fine. But don't please spout a belief in an afterlife just because life isn't everything you thought it would be, and death is a depressing thought. The bible, and other religious texts, taught us all fck all about life and the unanswered questions of the universe. Jesus taught us to be nice to each other, but apart from that, religious thought is rancid spunk. Above all, stop feeling guilty about enjoying yourselves - providing enjoying yourselves doesn't mean others suffering. If there is a god, and he didn't want us to live life to the full, he would be a bitter, twisted vagina. http://naptime500.blogspot.com
Well. I guess we all know now how Brian feels about things...
Perhaps understanding atheism isn't the same as understanding christianity, or Buddhism, or Islam, or whatever. Religions work as a collective. Atheism doesn't. It's probably one of the most straightforward, individual beliefs. It's fascinating how non-atheists/religious/spiritual folk seek to create a group out of atheists, to develop the cult of atheism. In so doing, it creates a delightful paradox; let us create a collective entity of atheists so that we may challenge it, not them. For if individual responsibility is so easy to come by as simply to state a non-belief, then the hold of any one doctrine is proved tenuous.
I'm not trying to lump all atheists together, necessarily, although I don't see why it is illogical to do so, as surely there is more cohesion amongst the non-belief in God, than there is amongst those who *do* believe in God; you're right that to hold any one doctrine of belief *is* a tenuous thing, IMO, but I would disagree that all religions work as a collective. I can understand the *reasoning* for a non-belief in a higher power, God, Spirit, whatever you want to call it, and I can understand the disdain that non-believers often feel toward those who are more inclined to take things 'on faith' rather than by pure logic. But here's the rub: When someone (say, my atheist friend) explains to me that the experience of, say, loving my children, is simply a combination of the firing of certain neurons in the brain plus the release of certain hormones, all geared toward the survival of the species, yes, I understand the biological and evolutionary reasoning behind this. It makes absolute sense in that way. However, whilst this might *quantify* the experience of love, it doesn't *qualify* it, for me, because for me the experience of love is something far more encapsulating than simply biological reactions. The same could be said for experiences of religious or spiritual ecstasy; I have had these, and although they might be the misfiring of neurotransmitters in my medulla, they are also much more, although I couldn't explain why using logical language. So again, whilst I *do* understand the reasoning of sceptics, I feel a trifle sorry for those for whom life is nothing more than an existential blip on the screen, with a beginning and an end, and nothing more. That isn't to say I believe in the Four Horseman of the Apocalypse and angels with fiery trumpets, mind you! But something in between is a rather nice place to occupy.
Without wishing to be pedantic, the title of this thread automatically "lumps" all atheists together, under the banner of atheism. It suggests something cohesive, something practised, when the opposite is the case. The belief in something more than "just" the proven biological doesn't need to encompass religion. Indeed, the religious would have us believe that there is nothing but the two polar opposites; to believe in a higher deity, or at least to not deny its existence, and to firmly not believe. I would refute the notion that any human state that cannot be (as yet) scientifically explained is automatically divine.
I needed a sensationalistic headline to attract viewers. Isn't that how it works? I realise I am blurring all sorts of boundaries, and that X doesn't automatically equal Y. I know that the majority of people on this site are agnostic or atheist or at least deeply questioning; I'm more interested in exploring the nuances between all these beliefs than I am in getting a finite consensus (or not) on the way the world works. I think there are three 'types' of people, simplistically put: 1. Those who operate chiefly from their intellect 2. Those who operate chiefly from their emotions 3. Those who operate chiefly from their physicality with each 'type' having the other two as sub-types,as it were. In other words, one 'part' tends to dominate the others in most situations. This is a gross generalisation, but perhaps people who are more inclined toward atheism are those who operate more out of the intellectual 'centre' because for them the intellect and rational mind is easier to access than the 'feeling' part, which is where, I think, things like spiritual ecstasy originate. I am reminded of that guy in 'The Retreat' on telly recently, who didn't believe in any higher power and was deeply sceptical of the whole thing and had real trouble accessing the emotional parts of prayer, devotion, submission, etc. He couldn't believe in a higher power because his rational mind could not connect the 'thinking' part of him, with the 'feeling' part that one needs, I feel, to have a subjective religious experience. Does this make sense?
Kind of. It makes sense within the context of your argument, assuming the 3 simplistic types you propose. Where it falls down for me is in accepting the existence of the three types, albeit that I know you're calling them simplistic. Whilst I accept that some people are more emotionally-drivem, for example, than others, people cannot be put, even simplistically into these definitive boxes. They ignore social factors, upbringing, experiences, genetics too much to assume that decisions are borne throuh being one of the three types. Plus operating chiefly from intellect would allow the person to acknowledge that they may be wrong, intellectually. They might not BELIEVE it (emotionally!), but their intellect would enable them to acknowledge it. Thus, intellect could also be a driver to believing in spiriuality.
Andrew, maybe Atheists can be lumped together regarding their non-belief in a God, same as red haired people can be lumped together as having red hair despite the diversity amongst red haired people. If I implied all red-heads are plundering vikings - that's when it gets a bit iffy. AG, I read with interest why you have a belief in something else. As a scientist, I can qualify all my creative, emotional and spiritual experiences as having a purely biological basis. Othertimes I had a distinct sense of it coming from outside myself but have no proof it is biological and physical in origin or not. I guess I used to be an ag-deist (I know but I couldn't think of the right expression). Then something happened to me that science couldn't really explain and it is so all-embracing, it made sense that I should pursue this god-consciousness. Maybe science one day will have an explanation for my experiences and I'll go back to being an agnostic deist. Of my 30 years on earth I was an agnostic between the ages of 4-8 an atheist 8-12 an agnostic-deist 13-29 and recently a deist. During most of those years I was also a 'practicing' Catholic, and have dipped my toes in Islam and Vaisnavite Hinduism (as practices rather than belief) so I've been round the block a few times and suspect I'll go around the block a few more times in the future. I'm always open to spiritual growth in myself! jude "Cacoethes scribendi" http://www.judesworld.net

I think Andrew James is onto something. I would describe myself as an atheist because I don't believe in a God. However, when AG and Pepsoid talk about atheists above, they seem to be talking about people who believe there is no God. There is a crucial difference between not believing in a God, and believing there is no God. The first is simply the absence of a belief for which there is no reasonable foundation. There is no way to legitimately attack this. Until you show me proof that God exists, it is entirely rational for me not to believe in him, just as there is no reason for me to believe in any number of things for which there is no proof. 'Believing that there is no God' is different in that you have 'faith' in an idea that can never be entirely proven - the very nature of God means that he can always be held ultimately responsible for existence, no matter how far we trace it back to its origins. So believing that there is no God is, obviously, much more open to attack. Pepsoid can say, "How can you ever actually know? And without knowing, surely your faith is of an equal philosophical value to a theist?" So the person who believes there is no God is easily reduced to being just another believer, whereas the person who does not believe in God is on entirely rational ground. Atheists are not just people who believe there is no God. They are also people who do not believe in God. And I imagine the second group are more numerous. But by conflating the two ideas together and treating all atheists as if they fit into the second group, theists are able to treat atheism as if it is on the same philosophical level as theism. Which is simply not the case. Before anyone mentions it, I'm not going to accept that the first group can be classed as agnostics. Agnosticis, as I see it, act on the premise that God may or may not exist. An atheist acts on the basis that God does not exist - because this is what we would normally do with things that are not yet proven to exist. I'm going to try to pre-empty confusion again by clarifying that position. Suppose the issue was not God, but whether your food had been poisoned. Suppose also that there is no evidence to suggest your food has been poisoned. There is the *possibility*, of course, because there's always the possibility. An agnostic would say that he did not know whether or not the food had been poisoned, and would clearly not want to eat it - why take the risk? An atheist would say that there is no reason to believe the food has been poisoned - the thought would probably not even enter his head - and thus have no reservations about eating it. Hope that makes the distinction, as I see it, reasonably clear.
Jude, like you I've tinkered with many religions at various times; I 'tried' Theravada Buddhism and actually liked A Course in Miracles. I can't remember a time when I wasn't inclined to believe in something 'bigger', although I've changed both my name for it and my relationship to it. Even when I went through my post-punk 'there is no God' phase as a teenager, I felt I wasn't being entirely truthful with myself. I'm not sure what I'd call myself: 'deist' seems pretty good or maybe a 'humanist-deist'! At their root, the major world religions are more similar than different, in that they emphasise service to others, honesty, selflessness, basic human decency and meditation/prayer as a way to access the Self. It's the shadowland between religion and politics that turns me off, especially when 'God' is used for all sorts of very political reasons that tend to NOT serve the greater good. Andrew, I think that people fall into these types irrespective of upbringing, socio-economic status, etc., although I also feel that the meta-culture has an influence on how much these characteristics are expressed. For example, I would place the United States (and much of Europe) as heavily intellectually-centred, in that achievements of the intellect and rationality are highly prized, and emotionality is for the most part viewed with distrust or as a form of weakness. On the other hand, most Middle Eastern countries are *highly* emotionally-centred, with the emphasis on emotional connections and relationships; note the mass outpourings of hysterical grief when someone dies: head-hitting, chest-beating, ululating, rending the clothes. We in the 'intellectual' West view this with a great deal of discomfort. There are a lot of misunderstandings between these two 'types' of cultures, because they are operating out of completely different frameworks. And surely you know people who 'shoot first and think later'; I would place these as the physical-centred people, since their bodies seem to work faster than the rest of them. My son is one of these; you only have to count the scars on his knees to verify it. It is simplistic, but sometimes there is an elegance to simplicity that is lost when we try to make things complex, yes?
Jack, as to your comments, you're right that I've 'lumped' a wide group into a small word. I felt I could lump it together and then have everyone else pick it apart. I ken that there are perceived differences between 'a God' and 'no God', but perhaps it would be good to qualify what 'God' is; do you mean the Judeo-Christian one, or a singular deity, or a 'creative force' in general? I suppose one has to define 'what' God is, before denying it...
There is a crucial difference between not believing in a God, and believing there is no God. Yes, there is a distinction between what are known as the weak atheistic position and the strong atheistic position. It is erronous to label all atheists as being 'strong atheists' . Many people use agnosticism to mean what is really "weak atheism," and use the word "atheism" only when referring to "strong atheism." The difference between agnosticism and weak atheism is quite blurry and I tend to view those who do not have a belief in God (but do not believe in NO God) as agnostics. But I am technically wrong since it is recommended that usage based on a belief that we cannot know whether God exists be qualified as "strict agnosticism" and usage based on the belief that we merely do not know yet be qualified as "empirical agnosticism." jude "Cacoethes scribendi" http://www.judesworld.net

"But I am technically wrong since it is recommended that usage based on a belief that we cannot know whether God exists be qualified as "strict agnosticism" and usage based on the belief that we merely do not know yet be qualified as "empirical agnosticism."" Neither seems very satisfactory to describe my position, and 'weak atheism' sounds like some sort of faffy position too. Maybe I'm most accurate describing myself as having no religion, and letting atheism in its entirety go to those who believe there is no possibility whatsoever of a God existing.
I know weak atheism sounds faffy but there you go! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weak_and_strong_atheism Just invent a term you prefer! Jude (Universalist Christian Deist) jude "Cacoethes scribendi" http://www.judesworld.net

I'll go with Dawkins' 'de facto atheist'.
Modern Scientific method is not a process to 'find proofs' of anything. Its a process to add contestable results to an ever expanding 'Model' of ideas,hypothesis and concepts. Nothing more than that. Sadly, it is often misunderstood or miss used.
Indeed, jrc! :-) ... How can one truly call oneself a "scientist" if one believes that anything is "provable"? As for AG's... "...sometimes there is an elegance to simplicity that is lost when we try to make things complex, yes?" ... Agree absolutely! Occam's Razor strikes again! :-))) pe ps oid ... What is "The Art of Tea"? ... (www.pepsoid.wordpress.com)

Pages

Topic locked