Performance Related Pay

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Performance Related Pay

I don't reckon there's anybody on here half as creative as public sector workers desperately trying to think up reasons why they shouldn't have performance related pay.

Why should they have performance related pay?
If I'm a patient in a hospital, I feel happier if I know that the people caring for me are not motivated by profit but by principles and the same goes for policemen and teachers. I don't want teachers who look at pupils and just see pound signs.
Devils advocacy thinly veiled with insouciance. Stop it....tsk tsk tsk.

Do you mean like Bankers and Politicians have?.... They don't perform and we pay.

If I'm a patient in a hospital, I feel happier if I know that the people caring for me keep me alive and give me good care and however un-Utopian it sounds money is highly motivational. And the same goes for policemen and teachers. I want teachers who look at pupils and just see pound signs if it means they perform well. It's just a question of setting appropriate targets.

Targets for every single, individual, public sector worker? Yeah, that's not my version of red tape hell or anything.

What are the appropriate targets for a teacher?
It's not utopian. My father was a GP who practically killed himself trying to serve the needs of his patients. He gave free treatment to those who couldn't afford it and he made housecalls day and night (patients phoned him at home). He even did (Because he was an ex-neurosergeon) minor surgical operations for free to any one willing to come to his door. He did it because he believed in the principle of providing free healthcare and by following his principles he got job satisfaction. It made our lives (me, my mother and my sister) a hell because his patients always came before us but we still admire him for his conviction and he was the hardest working GP our region has ever had.
Targets for every single, individual, public sector worker? Of course, as long as they are appropriate. It works in the private sector. I am a highly qualified professional who has worked all my life for US companies. Thirty years ago when I was first given performance targets I was actually offended as I would've given my best regardless. I soon realised I could both give my best AND put money in my pocket. And if you don't reward good performance how do you punish bad performance?

Sorry, I misconstrued. You obviously believe in what you expound. Astonishing. But given your professional background and evolving as you have from a capitalist 'meritocracy' perhaps it's not astonishing after all. And to think that vast swathes of you countrymen are anti Medicare even when their teeth are falling out and their children's cancer remains undiagnosed let alone untreated. Yes, performance related pay obviously works.....

I'm British and live in Oxford. I agree that the US can't call itself a civilised country with the state of their healthcare. I am a passionate supporter of the NHS and public services. I'm simply talking about how to get the best out of them. Is there any chance of me getting thrown off here for being a left-wing right winger? I hope not as it's too much fun winding you guys up.

Ah I see, in light of that I refer you to my first comment.

Ha-ha! Nice one scratch. Do you think they will find a cure for dementia in time to get St Margaret back to save us all?

I was thinking of introducing performance-related salvation. Unfortunately it would mean excluding most of the Catholic church, to say nothing of Jimmy Savile, who is doing wonders in raising funds for our new children's prayer fulfilment centre.
If poor-performance-related pay was introduced, all we would find is that everyone would be on the right salary, just enough to keep public sector workers from the streets, which is the way the govt likes them, completely bereft of fight and insanely in their debt, riddled with guilt and utterly confounded by our own lacklustre performance. The govt will continue to confound laws and increase public spending to no good end as a matter of course. Poor performance is absolutely essential for the coming holocaust, and further separation of rich and poor is key to the demands of the ultra rich in order that the holocaust will allow a new world to be built, and include those in positions of authority. Hoorah!

Fine by me.