Who do you write for and how do you improve?

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Who do you write for and how do you improve?

I've been wondering what motivates people to write. Is it the joy of expressing yourself? Is it trying to explore things in a structured and concise way? Is it communication? Is it with an aim to being published or is it for friends; family; yourself? Why do you write?

Also, and related I hope, how do you work on your writing to improve? Is it mere practise? Who do you read in your genre? What articles, courses and advice do you seek out?

Personally, I tend to write for myself with the occasional piece aimed at a specific audience (trying to make someone laugh, trying to create a mood, a tension, a sketch of a character. I read voraciously but I tend not to read much in the genre I write in, which strikes me as odd: am I simply afraid that others do it far better.

All comments welcome.

(*'For whom do you write' would be my preferred title but I move with the times, me.)
I write for fun. It's my therapy. I love it when a few steps into the writing process the muse (or call it what you will. God, alter-ego, pure blind luck. lol.)takes over and you don't seem to have any control over what you're writing. You're just holding the pen or punching the keys. It's downright euphoric. It's also a lot of hard work. But you know those wonderful moments are going to come and you can't wait. When writing for ABCTales, I pretend I'm a paid writer with a deadline, and if I don't get something out there on time the boss is gonna kill me. It's a mental exercise that works for me. I've been here two solid years now and every morning I look for a check in the mail. But it's never there. I'm sure its just some sort of clinch in the payroll department. I'll just keep looking and pretend I'm not really nuts. Rich

Writing is in my soul! I HAVE to write and I am always contemplating words. They flow around my brain, pulsating and swimming, knocking into one another until I can finally ambush them and leak them out onto the page. This, believe it or not, is how I write. Sometimes I overindulge myself and it gets out of hand, but that’s how I like it, it’s how I’ve ghosted some of my best creations. So what makes for real writing? Real writing is where the writer has tried to enrich not only the prose itself, but also his understanding of the words. The writer himself has to be open to new ideas and suggestions, and he must have the audacity to attempt new things and to risk failure. Over time, the reward is always worth the risk.

Yes!! Your comment explains it all :)
Tony Wilson once said 'In doing it you find out why you do it'. However, I've been writing ten years and I've no idea why I do it, it's just what I do.

I write to improve, I write to express things that wont leave my mind otherwise and I suppose I also write in the hope that one day I could be good enough to make a living from my writings.

I write because I can.

I've a compulsion to write. If I ignore it, I feel unwell.

Mostly I write to amuse or, at least, try to amuse. If I succeed then I am euphoric if I fail then I am utterly miserable.

I try to write every morning. Clears my head, and puts me in the right place for the rest of the day. It gives me something to look forward today before work, and there's nothing like the feeling of dipping back into something that's growing slowly (very slowly) larger. I write for those moments when you go back and are surprised at what's waiting for you.
Thanks guys and gals, inspiring stuff. I had stopped writing for a while. Very much enjoying getting back into it.
I write to touch my core, express myself more fully and play with rhythm and words. I'm well and truly an introvert and most of what I write I can't say as clearly because it's complex and hard to elevate. I unfold when I write, helping me to breathe and gain an understanding of myself and my world, where I am, how I got here and where I'm going. It's my main language but is hidden from family and friends. However, strangers I'll never see are allowed a peek.

I write because being a writer is the only real ambition I've ever had. Almost all the people who might have been proud of my writing are dead, so I just do it for myself. I rarely tell anyone about any of my successes. Nothing bad would happen if I stopped writing. But I suspect I'd be a lot more miserable.

Thank you, Verdana!