York Reading Confirmed

Hey everyone, good news!  The York reading has just been confirmed as follows:

Saturday 1st February 2014

The Black Swan

23 Peasholme Green

York YO1 7PR  Commences @ 18:30

Here is the link to the venue's website:

http://www.blackswanyork.com/

Keep an eye on the 'events' page the booking should show up on there soon but they said that last time and it never appeared.

Please confirm your attendance because I have been asked to provide details of numbers. Thanks everyone.

Hi Peter,

That is a good date for me - I should be there, all being well.

Cheers,

Tony

yes Thanks Tony.

It's been logged as follows:

ABC Tales Poetry Reading

Export Event

Saturday 01 February 2014, 08:00 - 17:00
by bseditor
Hits : 2

ABC Tales Poetry Reading

6PM till 10PM

Times confusing though : 0800 - 17-00, then 6pm till 10pm

I hope to be there. Any suggestions re. hotels and restaurants near the venue from people who attended previous gatherings?

yes Thanks Luigi.

I will be there in spirit. Unless of course I hit a lottery. In which case I would hire a professional actor, let's say, um . . . Geoffrey Rush, to play the part of me. I could hire an American actor, but Harrison Ford is the only one I'd choose and he's not talking to me. (Don't ask) But I would be doing my own drinking. That part I can handle.

All the best, scratch. You're doing a wonderfyul job with this.

Rich

yes Thanks harpie.

Thanks for organising, I will investigate baby-sitting for that night. Wouldn't be able to make it for 18.30 start though, Would I miss too much if I rocked up at, say, 8? 2000 hours.

Cheers harpie, a great idea if it can be done. Have you got any place in mind and who would organise the bookings? I require a double room  as I am being 'chaperoned' by the wife. We intend to travel by train and stay overnight.

yes@ Alex 20:00 would be fine.  Thanks Alex.

yes Thanks Luigi, that's great news that you will be there.  I have a feeling this is going to turn into a humdinger.

Hello, do you want me to liaise with the hotel re: group bookings, scratch? I'm definitely coming - plus one man and one boy. They won't be rocking up to the reading, I'll give them some pizza money.

yes Thanks Vera.  

Yes if you could coordinate that on behalf of those who are traveling and need digs that would be brilliant.  There are many options from the very cheap to the very expensive and all levels between the two.  City centre would be best I think and then at worst it would be a short taxi/car ride or a walk to the Black Swan.  I'll ask my other half about options too.  

Great that you guys are coming; this is starting to look like an event.

Careful everyone, I was attacked by a duck last time I visited York. Luckily I was saved by a young girl. 

Sounds like an event in itself Terrence.

Sounds like a story. SOmeone should write it. HOpe you all have a great evening.  

Any chance of you making it off the island and joining us all Terrence?

yes Thanks Elsie.

Would definately try to get to a York event at some point, as Mrs Oblong and myself have York on our radar for a weekend away. However, we're already booked up in Feb for Mrs Oblong's birthday trip to Stratford, so it won't be this time. 

Ok, that'd be helpful. Can people that want a hotel stick their name, room types required and any hotel preferences on this thread when you get chance or alternatively, send me a mail on here please. Premier Lodge type accommodation always makes me luxuriously happy. I appreciate that may make some people balk. I like the fact that they serve chocolate muffins at breakfast and have pillows like clouds.

I have now booked myself into York! Friday 31st Hull Road Travelodge £22.50 double room no breakfast, then Sat 1st YHA room in dorm  plus all I can eat brekkie following morning £22.99.    

I would like to read is that is OK (under 5 minute slot would be good)     Elsie

Lovely, thanks.

This will lovely. I'll be coming and would love to read.

Here is an idea. Why don't you put the gig listing on 'Write Out Loud'? It really helpp in getting audiences in.

http://writeoutloud.net/public/index.php

Best as ever,

Ralph

x

yes Thanks Ralph.

Can your fabulous partner with the uke' (sorry I've forgotten her name) make it again?  She played it wonderfully and what a singing voice too.

Regarding that publicity idea which sounds brill' is it just a matter of googling 'write out loud' and informing the site of the event?

Yes, I'll try and bring the missus along. Just google 'Write Out Loud', become a member and list the gig. Really gets audiences in who may have never heard of ABC Tales.

yes Thanks Ralph.

Can anyone remember what admission fee Tony usually asks for attending an event, I can't remember.  Is it £5 and £3 as a concession?

Write Out Loud ask for the information about entry costs for potential audience members when you do a self promotion.

Cheers guys.

I think £5 qnd £3 is about right. THta's usyally the going rate these days.

yes Thanks Ralph.

Hello, that's close Elsie, only 7 minutes in a cab. 

Those that have got in touch, thanks very much. I'm waiting on a couple of hotels to mail me back and will post some info on here shortly. 

This may be stating the obvious but The Black Swan itself offers accommodation.

Sorry I should have said.

I am in the process of collating the reader programme.  It would be helpful to state explicitly your intention to read so that I can organise properly.  

Cheers guys.

They do, scratch.

Black Swan has 2 rooms available on 1st February, both of which sleep 3 adults (king bed & single bed). The rates are £110 for 2 people, or £180 for 3 adults. They do not offer discounts for group bookings. If anybody fancies that, move quickly.

I have every intention sir!

I would like to read, scratch, (if you don't mind my accent!). No doubt you'll let us know times allotted etc., etc.

Ralph please bring along copies of your latest so that people can buy a signed copy.  

Of course Luigi.  When I have the full reader list I'll let everyone know.  It looks like its going to be a tight programme so organisation is going to have to be spot on.

Hey, I just did a virtual tour of the venue!  If you click the link and go upstairs the room that you find yourself in  is where we will be doing the reading:

http://www.blackswanyork.com/vtour

Hello. Here are some standard local hotel details.

Premier Lodge York City, Blossom St North, Y024 1AJ. 1.3 miles from venue. Double room: £97 Flexible (may cancel up to 1pm on day of arrival) or £87 Saver (no cancelling without payment) Tel: 0871 527 9196 Breakfast is another tenner.

Premier Lodge York City, Blossom St South, Y024 1AJ  Double Room: £93 Saver, £103 Flexible It's the other end of the road. How clever's that.

Premier Lodge York South West, Bilborough Top Cotton, York, Yorkshire, Y023 3PP Tel: 08715279202 6.8 miles from venue/15 mins £39 Saver or £75 Flexible

Grander hotel details will follow. Could haggle if any group bookings, but doesn't look like it at the moment. 

Scratch, if there is a space I would like to read

Moya

yes Thanks Moya.

This is going to be a great event — and my first visit to York! I'll be there.

yes Thanks Luke.

Hey scratch. Missed this in my absence. Will definitely come and read something if there is still space or just enjoy the readings of all the above if not. Thanks. Kev

Parson Thru

yes Thanks Kev.

Hi Harpie, think it's just you, Lisa and I.

If anyone wants to stay in the same hotel, please let me know on this thread or by mail on Friday 6th December please. A group booking is ten or more. Thank you to the people that have mailed to inform they've made their own bookings elsewhere in the city.

Have just mailed Lisa. We may as well book the same one provided it meets everybody's needs? Premier Lodge York City, Blossom St North, Y024 1AJ sounds ok. I'll ring them re disabled provision and ground floor double room by end of tomorrow?

Or do a comedy show on the high street.

Here is the Premier hotel link Sooz and Lisa. Emailed you too. You can book online or by phone. Not enough of us for a group booking. Here's the link anyway. Premier Lodge York City, Blossom St South, Y024 1AJ  Double Room: £93 Saver, £103 Let me know if I can help with anything else. I'm not researching night clubs. Can't dance. Thanks.

http://hotels.etrip.net/Hotel/Premier_Inn_Blossom_South_York.htm

Vera, what about pole dancing?  I hope I'm not speaking out of turn but... I've heard rumours!

Can't wait to meet you and see Sooz again and all the others that I've met.  Should be a great night.

Moya

Peter,

Is there any chance we could do something like last time. It would be great to get someone to video it and then perhaps copies could be done at a small fee for the site or for charity for those  people who can't make it.  Also the link up with Rich Hudsonmoon Danger was good.

Moya

Pole dancing? Have you been spying on me.

Hi Moya, I have already had an undertaking from hudsonmoon that he will send something through for us.  Regarding video capture; I have/am enlisting help from people who are 'good' at that sort of thing - I'm crap at it as you will no doubt remember from last time!  So it's a yes on both counts.  We'll wait on Luke and Tony  for their opinion and advice regarding uploading the content, I have a feeling that moves are afoot in that regard anyway.  If I read any of my latest it'll seem like people have clicked onto a snuff movie! Lol.

Pages