Last post
Poetic Forms

Hello

What is the point of poetic form?

Do any of you use form and if so, why?

Thanks

Crush

So - none of you are poets?
Crush, I'm guessing that people were finding it very difficult to answer a question that contained its own answer: Q: What is the point of poetic form? A: It gives form to poems Most of the people here who write poems use a variety of poetic forms when they do so. People use poetic form because if you don't, your poems are usually not really poems and are, very often, very rubbish. Cheers, Mark

There's loads of forms, look:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Poetic_form Try some. Cheers, Mark

Thanks Mark I do know about poetic forms and I don't choose to use them myself. Maybe that is why my poems are very often rubbish? My quest is not to find out about poetic forms but to ask people why they might choose to use them. And I disagree with you about the majority of people writing on here. It seems to me that most of them use free verse. (Rubbish?) I don't count arranging free verse into three line stanzas or four lines ones or six line ones as using a form. Do you? Thanks Crush
Write how you like :) If it satisfies you, share it. Blahdeeblah. There are 'acceptable' norms which aren't difficult to master if you can be arsed. I know exactly what you mean about 'free verse' being given form. It's chocolate covered shite in most cases. :P When the power of love overcomes the love of power, we'll find peace. - Jimi Hendrix

~It's a maze for rats to try, it's a race for rats to die.~

"I don't count arranging free verse into three line stanzas or four lines ones or six line ones as using a form. Do you?" Well, people usually arrange poems in a particular way for a reason. That either helps a reader's enjoyment or understanding of a poem or it doesn't. That generally depends partly on the reader and partly on whether the poem's any good. Whether free verse is more like to be shit that poems written to some form mostly depends on your initial prejudices. I co-edit a small literary magazine and read over 1000 poems for each issue. Most poems we get sent are awful. On balance, bad form poetry is worse than bad free verse but it's a close run thing.

"Maybe that is why my poems are very often rubbish?" I don't think that your poems are rubbish at all. I think they are quite the thing. Ha.
I just arrange mine until they look and sound right to me, and then post away. That probably explains why most of 'em are so bad!
'I co-edit a small literary magazine and read over 1000 poems for each issue.' You deserve a bloody medal then,Bukharinw.m.f.! I know that I have been experimenting with (deliberately) writing bad poetry: it's so upsetting that they seem to have as much merit as my legitimate efforts. Maybe some people (me for one) just need to get stuff out. I do think everyone should try sonnet,haiku,quintet,aubade - whatever they want... because until you know the rules you can't break them, can you? Equally, bring on the free verse, it's an accommodating medium, poetry: let's all experience the shock of the new. Again, God bless you Bukh and all editors everywhere, I hope none of you are too scarred by the exposure to the drivel.
It's chocolate covered shite in most cases. :P But chocolate covered shite is still partly chocolate! (and also partly shite) That said, I'm wondering if we should dispense with the "poetry" definition altogether... :? pe ps oid What is "the art of tea"? And what does an "odd courgette" look like?

The All New Pepsoid the Second!

"Again, God bless you Bukh and all editors everywhere, I hope none of you are too scarred by the exposure to the drivel." To be honest, the really bad stuff is quite amusing to read. The annoying thing - probably due to the inexorable rise of poetry writing classes - is the huge volume of mediocre poetry. That's stuff by people who have a technical understanding of how you'd write a poem but have absolutely nothing to write about. A particular bugbear is people who write poems about paintings that give an exhaustive, literal description of what the picture looks like. Reading that kind of stuff is like looking at your auntie's paint-by-numbers pictures but without the pleasure of the visual stimulus.

In former times it was related to fashion. Look at Elizabethan sonnets. And look at French courtly poetry. French poetic tradition probably has more variety than its English equivalent. You could say, (shite or not,) that free verse is the fashion today. My latest killing is: http://www.bookscape.co.uk/short_stories/human_sacrifice.php I write book reviews here: http://www.litarena.com/books/
First of all a big welcome to crush, who is the rising star of our poetry section here. I welcome his/her poems and my heart leaps a little when I see one on the edit list. I too read an awful lot of mediocre poetry here and my take on it is that the bad stuff often is the 'outpouring of the heart' that we all need to do from time to time - especially in our teenage years it would seem! There's nothing wrong with doing it - just don't think that it makes you a great poet. I think that the sheer volume of it on here should make those angst-ridden souls amongst us think 'I am not alone'! As for form, when good it's very very good. A Shakespeare sonnet, for example, stands up to years of analysis and just gets better and better the more you look at it and understand it. But for immediacy of impact then it's free verse for me every time. A poem can say so much more than its words and those that do in an accessible and entertaining way are the poems of the modern age. Swinburne, now regarded as a minor English poet, was so popular in his day that people would rush out to buy his latest tome, memorise the words and quote them to each other in the street. It's not going to happen today. We have more to divert us, more to look at, more to visually stimulate our minds. We want quicker fixes and free verse is often easier to take in. I also agree that we should study form, that we should work at it and then choose to twist it or disregard it as we see fit. An artist who cannot draw is never going to be much of an artist - just as a poet who cannot scan, rhyme or write to the rules has never had to go through the rigour that characterises academic learning.
"As for form, when good it's very very good." I agree with most of what Tony says above but particularly this. Writing good poems using a strict form is very, very difficult. For example, I really like rhyming poems but in the magazine I co-edit we print, on average, one in every two issues. This is mainly because rhyming couplets are the form of choice for people who think that you can write good poetry despite not reading any poetry and writing the first thing that comes into your head. While also passionately believing that if the word at the end of line two rhymes with the word at the end of line four, it doesn't matter that the rest of words don't fit together and make little or no sense.

'So - none of you are poets?' Sorry, forgot to say 'I'm not'. (bet you loved that Bukh! LMAO)
Emma, well done, if you've got the syllable-count correct all the way through your villanelle. My latest killing is: http://www.bookscape.co.uk/short_stories/human_sacrifice.php I write book reviews here: http://www.litarena.com/books/
"Sorry, forgot to say 'I'm not'. (bet you loved that Bukh! LMAO)" That's fine. It's really short.

'That's fine. It's really short.' Touché! I retire, wounded to write more bad poetry.
I realised what you were doing, Emma, but the glory of poetry got lost in the form. It all fits correctly, as far as I can see, but it said nothing new! I'm sure it just goes to show how darn difficult it is.
Just read your villanelle, Emma, and on first appraisal... I love it! :) Without analysing too much, I think the rhythm is perfectly appropriate to the subject matter... keep 'em coming! :) pe ps oid What is "the art of tea"? And what does an "odd courgette" look like?

'I've found the Goethe - I like this one: Und umzuschaffen das Geschaffene, Dass sich's nicht zum Starren waffne, Wirkt ewiges lebendiges Thun. Translation: "And refashioning the fashioned, Lest is stiffen into iron, Is work of an endless vital activity." Is there a typo in the translation?' I'm not a fan mind, I think he's Goethe lot to answer for. (The Sorrows of Werner? Please.) To each their own.
Ha wish I had been! Yep Werther, like the sweets and sickly if you have too much/many. :-) Should it be 'Lest it stiffen vice 'Lest is stiffen'? That's what I meant. And the quote is a good one I agree.
Mtzlpytlk Or a glass of wine. :-)
I'll raise one in your honour... get well soon BTW a hat off to your Villanelle, I tried one a few months ago and yes, you guessed it, it was more of a Villainous abuse of poetry. Ewan
Yikes to the punnage! :/ pe ps oid What is "the art of tea"? And what does an "odd courgette" look like?

"What is the point of poetic form?" It is an interesting and little understood question. It gets to the very heart of what language and communication are or are supposed to be. How do you convey an idea in sound or print or multi media? Generally, we are all taught a rather complex format, of generally accepted sounds and written symbols, that represent ideas and concepts.You have but to travel to a country, where another language is spoken, to begin to understand that "rules of expression" govern level of understanding.If there are no rules, then how will anyone else, other than the poet, know what is being communicated? I think the "tower of babel," in the bible, represents this concept.Even symbolism, however mystical and arcane, has generally accepted representations.Other wise, is one heard "screaming in an empty forest? No one will ever know. Poetry, much like music, is rhythmic and emotional.It has an attractive cadence of syllables that give it both power and hypnotic appeal. Like rhythmic chanting, one need not need to understand the actual language to be affected or intrigued by the intonations. A musical graph has a skeltal framework, upon which to designate certain pitches of sound, that represent all manner of concepts. Poetic form serves as the same organic format. However much you choose to deviate, from the accepted format, is a matter of artistic choice. The greater the degree of variance, the more avant garde the interpretations may become.Perhaps that is as the poet wishes. Poetry, like prose, is an expression of ideas that you hope your reader will hear/read and understand. The more difficult you make the work intelligible, the less readers will bother to try and read or understand you.They are of course the "ultimate jury" that passes judgement on your work. Form is a function of expression.Each person chooses that which best suits his pattern of thoughts. Who, and how many, understand and appreciate your work, is to a degree within your control. Some questions have no answers, but rather deifnitions of possible alternative realities. Great question on a writing board, though. J.X.M
Maybe there are some symbols, methods of communication, so ingrained in the human psyche that they are totally unconscious and so are wielded by the writer unintentionally? Like Jung’s collective unconscious? Maybe humans are like many animals which have a herd instinct- less a form of communication, more noticing the actions of others and what they imply? Maybe you don’t need to tailor your writing to any audience to be understood. I think that I rather agree with whoever up the thread said that poetic form changes with the fashions. It’s a bit of a contrivance really, but I suppose it adds something special with all the extra effort and time that it means you have to put in, and the effect can add gravitas to your work, depending on your subject matter.
This is the basis of this week's Inspiration Point so go on folks - give it a go!
I did :) I mean, I think I wrote an English sonnet there with Carried Away. Perhaps it doesn't scan properly. Perhaps someone can enlighten me. Not sure. But... I think I did...?
Topic locked