Internet etiquette? Is there such a thing?

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
Internet etiquette? Is there such a thing?

Are there any rules out there for internet etiquette, and what is advised and not advised in communitcating in and via virtuality? 

E.g. - blocking people, stalking people, bullying people, messing with people's psyche?

Are there any protocols in place or being developed in regards to these areas yet?

Will they be enforced?

Are we developing the EQ to handle this stuff as humans?

Questions boggling my mind....

Any thoughts? 

I think internet etiquette is fairly similar to real-life etiquette, to be completely honest. Just try and play nice, I suppose. With re to your comment about blocking people- this isn't really breaking etiquette, in fact, it's a tool you can use when somebody else is breaking etiquette in their online relationship with you. 

As the saying goes: never say to someone's face online what you would never say to them offline. 

Marionella,

You are wise beyond your years.

moya

I agree Moya.  

That's a good principle Marionella.  If only more people would think and act that way.  

There is some good research on the differences between synchronous and asynchronous communication in terms of the effects it has on perception.  Have a look at it Shannon - it is quite startling.

Thanks folks ... I like Marionella's take on it. Had to do orientation with Grade 8's for their first day of high school and we have to deal with cyber stuff now too... Thanks Scratch, I'll Google when I get a chance, any suggestions? Hi Moya :-) Have a good week $

I wrote a rambling reply to this Shannon, it took me at least twenty minutes, then my laptop crashed. When I gather my frazzled I.T patience, I will return to try again.

There are PhD's in this shit. 

Ha!!

Quite.

Etiquette isn't always maintained face to face though. If a man at work told you his minute to minute life story day in, day out like Facebk users do, you'd be entirely within your rights to tell him he was a neurotic, self obsessed knob. People have humdingers at traffic lights. Add opposing views and a profile photo of the website user smiling fascetiously, there's likely to be cyber waves. It's all relative.Just don't block your relatives.

DON'T SHOUT WHEN POSTING ON FORUMS (or anywhere else) and don't send emails to everyone in your address book without bcc'ing them. In other words, I'd be mightily pissed off if my email address was visible to all and sundry. Watch out with hitting that 'reply to all' button :)

Incidentally, internet stalking carries the same penalties as any other kind of stalking (in theory at least). I know, because I had to deal with it once (and no, I was neither stalker nor stalkee).

that sounds like a great subject for a story unsent emails,  all that stuff in the draft folder-- the maverick, mad you that is rarely glimpsed outside outlook express

Lol Stan!

Thanks guys, there's a load for me to think about here... Love your sense of humour - glad I'm used to it now ;-) There's alot of haunting that happens with emails ... they seem to come back in many annoying ways.

Thanks for the links Andrea and your perseverance Vera, sorry about the computer, if it's any consolation they have done that to me too, humph.

Stan - we've just banned phones at school this year and learners were found reading newspapers in their break! Staff nearly fell over ;-)

I agree with Marionella, imagine the other person was perhaps a neighbour you knew a little and you were talking to them in the shopping centre. Everyday politeness makes sense.

The difficulty with online is that we do not know the other person  at all (we simply think that we might). Best to always be careful.

And expect from others the same standards of courtesy that you practice yourself.     Elsie

I wish all others did have the same courtesy... thanks Elsie, touche.

From what I've experienced, most Internet social media sites have groups and over time these groups become politically correct, political, religious or all listed. The topic should be writing and not side moral/value issues. I believe the ABC TOS quite clear about the mission, focus and role of participants. When you make a direct comment or critique, you should do so with a positive attitude, so even if you disagree or feel instructive, you can do so with non-demeaning clarity. If you don't have the skills to be non-demeaning, then say nothing. The basic need is simply trust and Internet first impressions are rather lasting. I believe in freedom of speech, but I also believe in the Second Commandment. We are all of this universe, so let each one of us write a happy verse of Internet etiquette.

This is a good thought provoking article.

You makes some good points there Cow Paddy.  

Cow Paddy's don't have points until they're baked.

Thanks Mr Paddy... just makes me wonder when it turns into a "be nice" you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours scenario... and when it's genuine interest and care... If someone disappears, does anyone notice? So I hear the first line about it all becoming politically correct... so that questions in my mind if all this can be catergorised as a "community" at all... round and round and round the thoughts go... $