Lard by pepsoid

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
Lard by pepsoid

http://www.abctales.com/story/pepsoid/lard-a-luc-bat-lament

When I first read this poem, I liked it for its simple subject. Then, I googled "luc bat" and I suddenly loved this poem for all that went into it. I can imagine it was difficult to write. Very nice, pepsoid.

In case others are clueless as well (i told you i know very little about poetry), i'm copying the "luc bat" entry from Wikipedia:

The Lục Bát is a Vietnamese verse form. "Luc Bat" literally means "six eight", referring to the alternating lines of six and eight syllables. It will always begin with a six-syllable line and end with an eight-syllable one.

The form has a rather complicated and yet simple rhyme scheme, in which the sixth syllable of the eight syllable line rhymes with the sixth syllable of the previous line, which in turn rhymes with the eighth syllable of the line preceding it. There is no limit to the number of lines, but the eighth syllable of the last line rhymes with the first line.

That is a very cool form that I've never heard of before. Kudos to Pepsoid! Nice work!
Thanks folks! I've just started having a 'proper' go at poetry (if you can consider lard to be a 'proper' subject matter), since reading Stephen Fry's 'The Ode Less Travelled.' So thank you for the above kind words on one of my semi-virgin attempts! I did find a nice little website on Luc Bat and other oriental forms of poetry t'other day, which I can't remember at the mo, as I'm not at home & it's in my home favourites - for those that are interested, I'll try & remember to post it on the noticeboard herewith. :-) * P * :-)

The All New Pepsoid the Second!

Right - waded in with my very own Luc Bat, now. Thanks Pepsi Blue. Inspiring stuff.
Here's that oriental poetry link... http://www.thepoetsgarret.com/orient.html What's your Luc Bat called, rokkit? I see, btw, you have also written some clerihews! Just off to have a butchers... :-) * P * :-)

Re clerihews... luv'em! 'Specially the B.A. Barraccus one... http://www.abctales.com/node/511030 ...Splendid! Worthy of a new topic, methinks (see "B.A. Barraccus clerihew... by rokkitnite") :-) * P * :-)

ha! This is really good and funny! Well done Pepsoid. Against my better judgement I also just finished The Ode Les Travelled.' Also just starting out trying new forms. I find it mightily difficult. Span
I just realised that sounds like I did not enjoy the book... when I meant to say I did.
Good! & yes they are. :-) * P * :-)

I passed over the book in WHSmiths the other day. I need to go back to pick up an ordered book, maybe I'll have to succumb as well! All these forms of poetry that I’ve never heard of, thank you Pepsoid for trying them out and making everyone think. Did I say I was enjoying reading them all? Lisa
Glad to hear it, Ging! It does make the poetry-writing process more interesting, I think, when you have a 'form' to work to... :-) * P * :-)

Topic locked