Paul Chappell (Footsie/FTSE100)

41 posts / 0 new
Last post
Paul Chappell (Footsie/FTSE100)

It is with great sadness that I must inform you all that Paul/Footsie/FTSE100, committed suicide on the morning of Wednesday 10th July 2013.

Paul and I have/had been friends for a couple of years. I knew he was extremely depressed and suicidal and tried to support him as much as I could, as did others (you know who you are).

Paul asked me to publish his last work 'The Sighs of a Mouse' on UKAuthors, and to post this notice, with a link through to the piece, on ABC 'if anything happened to me', so that his many friends here can read his last work. You can do so here:

http://ukauthors.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=30854&mode=t...

He also requested that his accounts here on ABC be re-activated.

He said: 'Please don’t forget to ask Tony to activate ALL my accounts so that Ryan can see my work. It’s all I have been able to leave him. Accounts are FTSE100, Skunk, Stefano, steven00 and AlbertF'

Ryan is his son, but no doubt his brothers and sister would be grateful for access as well.

I would ask Tony Cook and Claudine to not remove this post please, despite past 'grievances'. As I said, Paul had many friends here who will be greatly saddened by his death and who will wish to read 'Sighs' and perhaps leave a small message of condolence.

Andrea

htpp://www.ukauthors.com

I did not know Paul well, but under the alias of Footsie he gave me encouraging feedback on much of my work, and was a great support to me when I was a newcomer to this site. I am very much grieved by hearing this sad news and would like to thank Andrea for letting us know. RIP Paul Natalia

Natalia :)

Oh, this is so, so sad. I knew he had problems as well as financial difficulties and I often thought about him and wondered how he was getting on. I thought he was a very talented writer. He allowed me to use the name Dripsnot as a character's name. It was the name he gave to his M.P. who was a thoroughly useless article as I found out when I and others emailed him in support of Footsie. Rest in Peace Paul MOya

So very sad, and sorry for Paul's family, it is a blow to hear this awful news. He was a vibrant part of the fabric and family of this place for so long, and will be missed. Peace to all. Maddalena x

I am deeply saddened by this news. Despite our differences I have never failed to be grateful for the support that he gave this site over many years. I have unblocked all of his aliases so that his work is available to all. He really was a very good writer.
This is such sad news, me heart goes out to his family and friends. He was a great writer and contributed greatly to this site. I hope he is resting in peace. katie x

k.

I never met Paul but he helped me so much when he was at the helm here. I'm very sad that he's gone.

Rest in peace Paul. Life is precious and people care. PS I particularly liked 'Gorblimey Trousers.'

This just hit me like a stone. I can't believe it. So sad. So sorry Footsie. Don't know what to say.

Parson Thru

The signs were there, but very few looked. (Mae'r arwyddion oedd yno ond ychydig iawn sy'n derbyn gofal)

Over the years I have chatted with him, he was always nice to me. RIP, Footsie. The link Andrea has posted to The Sighs of a Mouse is a very moving piece. Read it if you get a chance. Lisa
I am so very sad. 'Footsie' was always helpful to me, and his wit and intelligence shone through his great writing. RIP Paul Linda

Linda

Can't say how deeply saddening this new is. For so long, I watched Paul work his way around this site. I only communicated with him on occasion, but from beginning to end he always struck me as a real character; a man of great wit and a bright spark, aside from any trouble. RIP
SundaysChild
Anonymous's picture
Such sad news.
RIP Footsie. You wrote so honestly and eloquently about your depression and your battles with the social care system and yet you made me laugh so often with your stories. A genuinely rare talent and I'm so sorry you're gone.
It's very sad indeed. Paul did a great deal for this site and his innovations outlive him. Society fails a lot of people like Paul every day, he was declared so 'fit for work' that his house was taken away from him, assumedly on the basis that he was fit to work 24 hours every day, 7 days a week

This is so very sad.I didn't know Paul but he was an invaluable help when I came to this site. A very witty wordsmith with such imaginative work.Love to Paul's family and friends.

This is horrible news. I am so sorry to hear that such a good person felt this their only way out. I didn't know Foots personally, but I will always be grateful for the work he put into the site, and for his witty and sometimes sardonic writing style that always entertained me and had me nodding my head in agreement. His last piece is fittingly brilliant, even if harrowing to read. RIP Paul.
This is awful, he always responded well to things i said and came across as having a supermind. Such a shame. RIP mate.

Paul wrote on another site under the name "no holds barred." He directed me to ABCtales from there. Without him pointing I don't think that I would be writing this now. The whole circumstance that led up to these terrible events must have been awful. Paul was at once brilliant and exasperating, incisive and compassionate, uncompromising and empathetic. Like many geniuses he walked a fine line that lesser mortals couldn't see let alone understand. What a waste. If anything exists beyond what we see here I hope Paul has found it and that it is GOOD.

i am sorry to read this. i didn't know FTSE100 personally, but i enjoyed his work.
RIP Paul. So sorry you could see no other way forward. Don't know what else to say.

Gutted, shocked and terribly sad. I am at a loss for words; strange when words ate what we are all about. A great talent, friend and supporter, when required. The world is a lesser place today. Go in peace Paul.
Shocked and saddened by this news. Footsie's witty, incisive writings were, for me, one of the highlights of this site. My condolences to Paul's family.

Highhat
Anonymous's picture
Peace is a journey, justice is a promise
'Paul was at once brilliant and exasperating, incisive and compassionate, uncompromising and empathetic. Like many geniuses he walked a fine line that lesser mortals couldn't see let alone understand. What a waste. Not what you say in private though, is it, Peter?
This is neither the time nor is it the place for that comment. If you really want to find out what I say in private - email me.

Please let's stop this before it starts. The whole sad event was horrible, I cannot imagine Paul would want people be squabbling over what they did or didn't think of him ..... although he probably thought they would. He was a lovely guy, a brilliant writer and a good IT man who had serious problems and needed a lot more help than he received. Please remember him for the help and laughs he gave us and hope this doesn't happen to anybody else.

I came to this news late and was deeply shocked. What drives a person to take such drastic and devastating action I cannot comprehend, but this is the shit of life. I didn't know Paul and we never spoke on site, so we never got to know each other. I wish him eternal peace and to his family and friends I offer my sincerest condolences. R.I.P. Footsie.

TVR

Only just seen this news so very sad and such a waste. My heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.
All the comments and updates seem to have disappeared. Shame. Luckily I saved them so here they are: Update: Paul Chappell (FTSE100/Footsie) Hello all, just thought I'd let you know that, following Paul's suicide on 10th July 2013 and with permission from Paul's brother, we are collating his work with a view to publishing in paperback, probably through UKA Press (the publishing arm of UKAuthors). The tentative title is 'The Sighs of a Mouse and Other Stories and we aim to raise awareness of mental health issues everywhere, but particularly in the UK. If any of you have any suggestions as to how this can be better achieved, we'd love to hear from you. I know you'll all wish us well with this project and I'll keep you regularly updated. Ewan | July 21, 2013 - 14:41 Great idea. Let me know if I can help in any way. Login or register to post comments blighters rock | July 21, 2013 - 15:07 Paul's work was some of the best I've seen on this site. Without question, he was the most witty and zany contributor. Since his death, I have often wondered whether Abctales might publish his stories, mostly as a mark of respect for his behind-the-scenes work but more importantly because Paul was an Abctales man through and through. While his relationship with Tony may have ended acrimoniously, I'd be surprised if the idea hadn't crossed his mind too, but perhaps he is allowing for a respectful time after Paul's passing away. andrea | July 21, 2013 - 16:20 Thanks, Ewan and Blighters. Ewan, I will certainly take you up on your kind offer if I need to! Blighters, Paul also had quite a lot of word on UKA, although admittedly, not as much as he had on ABC. However, I'm very sorry to say this, but Paul did not want ABC to publish his work and his brother (who now owns copyright to his work) is more than happy for UKA Press to do so, if we decide to. I was very close to Paul and am trying to follow his wishes as much as I am able to. He specifically asked me not to publish Sighs on ABC - just a notice with a link through so that people who cared for him here, were able to read his last words. I apologise, but am just following Paul's wishes, as with the emails he asked me to send to various people after his death. http://www.ukauthors.com blighters rock | July 21, 2013 - 17:11 I stand corrected, Andrea, and I respect Paul's wishes wholeheartedly. Good luck with the project. Please feel free to call upon me for any help you may need with its publishing. andrea | July 21, 2013 - 17:39 Thank you very much, Blighters, that's very kind of you. http://www.ukauthors.com
No idea why it came out like that!
Thanks for sorting that out :) Just a quick update: Award-winning photographer Eleanor Leonne Bennett (http://www.eleanorleonnebennett.com) has kindly offered to provide the cover image for Paul's book. (Is it no longer possible to post live links?)

Looking forward to it. Thanks. 

I remember saying to a friend on here a few months ago that I found FTSE 100's writing, for me, to be the most interesting on the site.

I identified with his words on depression and his social comment - not to mention his hallmark dry eloquence and offbeat humour - and was thrilled when as a newcomer he replied to my posts a couple of times, and made mention of me in one of his posts.

He will not be forgotten I'm sure and he helped a lot of writers on here. He also gave of his time and expertise freely for several years to maintain and update the site.

I look forward to seeing his work published and send my deepest condolences to his friends and family.

Claire

Thanks Claire, that's very kind. 

We have the (front) cover up already. You can see it here. 
http://www.ukapress.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=9 I like it a lot, and thanks to E.L. Bennett for donating the image. 

That's great Andrea. I look forward very much to reading more about and by Paul.

Keep up the good work and thank you.

Claire

Thanks, Sue, appreciate it, and so would Paul. Not entirely sure he'd have liked a catfight though.

I bet he is rasing hell, however...:)

Have you any idea when this will be available? Thanks.

Apologies, have only just seen this. We're hoping to release the book mid to late October, LC. Will keep you informed, of course.