Richard LP Running Out of Steam?

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
Richard LP Running Out of Steam?

Hello fellow men and ladies. I love to write but wonder if my work is running out of steam. I always said to myself, when my words are no longer inspiring nor creative and just words, I would retire my writing.

Two things help me measure my work on this site. The wonderful comments from friends. And whenever a cherry comes which is really special. I was averaging around one cherry for 20 poems and now, sob-sob, no cherries for the last 54 poems/stories. Don't get me wrong, I do not seek the limelight and that is why I do not enter contests. Your honest opinion is required because at 70, maybe it is time to hang up my pen. One older than I friend came to the same conclusion recently and simply stopped writing because he felt only dribble came out.

Is it my turn to say farewell and thanks so much for your caring about my work. HOWEVER, please continue your prayers, not only for my sister but for your own friends and loved ones. God bless, from Richard and Esther

Richard L. Provencher
Richard L. Provencher
Hanging up your pen at 70? Good grief, man. At 78, I feel that I am in my prime. I'll squeeze my brain and keep writing. I see what you mean about cherries; it is something that I too noticed. They used to come regularly but they have dried ever since. Do I care? Not on your Nelly. I am my number 1 fan and can always pat myself on the back. Cheer up Richard.

Luigi, Your words too are so precious. My muse is there---it's as I said, I DO NOT wish to write dribble because to me we should give the very best within us, each time and not just rattle off a collection of words---something with meaning, hope and value. As I also said, I do not write for the cherries; but they are a helpful method, I believe used to keep up our spirits. Like a lollipop for running the race. I read your work for the first time, and it is uplifting. Thanks. Richard
Richard L. Provencher
Richard- I have noticed lately that you have changed your style of writing. Not that I'm saying it is any better or worse for that. If you like to write then continue- if you feel you need a break then do that. I can see how your present circumstances may affect you and perhaps it is difficult to focus on writing for you because of this? But don't believe that age has anything to do with it. There are others on the site who are older than you and still enjoy writing despite the cherries absence.
Bless you, Highhat. Yes, I have tried some innovative changes, which may have hindered my style, and yet it was a way of stretching. Your support and encouragement is well received. Richard This is the prayer I wrote for my other two sisters to read before Susan went into her operation: Prayer – For a Very Dear Sister - Susan “Yes, I have given you power to tread underfoot serpents and scorpions and the whole strength of the enemy; nothing shall ever hurt you. Yet do not rejoice that the spirits submit to you; rejoice rather that your names are written in heaven.” Luke 10:19-20 (The Jerusalem Bible) Oh God, thank you for our sister Susan’s life. In spite of the limiting health in her body, remove any fear seen in the eyes of family and other precious ones; their pain and concern about what she is experiencing. Allow her troubled limbs a recovery which will astound those who do not believe in the power of prayer, and agree with those who do. Let our minds be renewed as our prayers reach out to You in words and thoughts. Let there be success through supernatural guidance to Dr. Yaron Shargall who also operated on Susan successfully three years past. May the future be filled with love, and grateful eyes. And may we dance in delight to the miracle of full recovery without limitations knowing our God and His angels have been present during this operation and that she comes to know You more my Lord. © Richard L. Provencher ps. the doctor liked this so much, he said he will post it on his wall. Imagine. I wrote a second version and he said he will post it too. Perhaps I'll post the two of them on my site with ABC. Note: I'm being so uplifted from my ABC family --- thank you all. Richard & Esther.
Richard L. Provencher
Hi Richard. I wish you well and respect your decision. Writing I think is a bit like reading. You pick up a book and become engrossed in it. If you no longer become engrossed in your writing then it's doubtful others will. Another thing worth mentioning is that it is exercise. Your brain needs to work to make those connections. There is no time limit on writing or reading. As luigi says age is in the mind. And we're all forever young there. All we lack is the body we once had. Do not dribble out.

Maybe you just need to step away from it for awhile, Richard. Back in 2003 I felt as you did and stopped writing and posting on ABCtales. I wrote virtually nothing for four years. Then I posted a total of 2 pieces in 2007. Again, after feeling I'd nothing much to offer, I stopped writing. For reasons that escape me now, I started writing and posting again in 2011. And I think the latter stuff is some of the best writing I've ever done. In my 60th year I seem to be having more fun with it. I wish I could explain why. I do hope you find someway to keep writing in your life, Richard. All the best to you and Esther. And may the muse be with you. Rich (Sending good vibes to you across the Atlantic. If they don't encounter any icebergs, they should at your doorstep in a matter of minutes.)

Please look after yourself .. Denise xx
Late again... It will be interesting to see whether you are able to stop. I can't, so the world will have to put up with my drivel that, like most things in life, ebbs and flows. You write some wonderful pieces about your surroundings and the people around you, Richard. I am sorry that I haven't commented for a while. I am sorry to everyone that I have neglected commenting. If your writing does disappear from here, I will miss it. Even if I only dipped in now and again, I will miss those moments when I was taken to your place to feel the things that you feel. Take care. 70? Old? Not these days, mate. Fill that ink-well and dip your nib.

Parson Thru

Best wishes Richard, Poetry should not be a competitive sport. Written, as yours, from the need to express an individuality of being, why should we measure such. Poetry, as art, is an emblem, symbol and portal of human experience with as much value as anyone else's work. Merit is ascribed and arbitrary, as fashion and sensibiity dictate. xxxxx

Much appreciated lenchenelf, and glad to see you agree with some of my thoughts. I write poetry to share the world as I see it. If I can provide a new lens, great. Your nature poetry is unique -- very enjoyable. Richard
Richard L. Provencher
Amen to that lenchenelf.

Richard, For different reasons at this moment I feel exactly like you about my writing and don't feel it is any good and that I have been deluding myself in thinking for a short time that I could write and in my case it is probably true but that is not the case with you. I am not surprised you are having a crisis of confidence with all that is going on in your life at the moment. If you left the site you would leave a gap whereas no one would notice I had gone. My thoughts and prayers are with you all, Richard and please keep writing. Moya

Moya, you ARE a good writer. Please read the messages of support I have received above and use these same words regarding the words you place in this site. Richard
Richard L. Provencher
Richard, Thank you for your encouragement it is much appreciated. However, I think I can guess where I am in the great scheme of ABC Tales and I sure won't be getting any nosebleeds. Stay strong, Moya

Moya .. of course people would notice you were gone! It's this bloomin' time of year. Everyone's fed up Dx
Denni1, Thanks, I hope it is just this time of year. Moya

Bloody hell, Moya. The rest of us might as well give up. All: SAD light-boxes are £44.95 (incl VAT) from Maplins. Now, any more of this and the parson, here, gets it!

Parson Thru

Your all bloody fantastic writers and I sincerely hope that you continue to write as reading your work has been a pleasure and inspiration and can only help others which should count for more than anything else. Best wishes Richard to you and your family. Cheers S
New Richard I am no spring chicken. You mustn't give up, I have read many of your great writings. And Moyas to great writers,I get inspiration from all of you,especially when the chips are down happenings,in life! Enjoy all the different ways,all write! Your's and many help so much. I agree with Syphon,we all go through,nothing feeling. It is so good for the mind exercise,keep alert everyday things. Cherries never important,hope Susan improves everyday,all the best to you and Esther. Just rest visit,come back here quickly. If I thought of age,wouldn't be doing anything. So get typing quick. julie x
Thank you so much, Julie, and other fine writing folks. Yes we can... each one finish the sentence. Cheers, Richard
Richard L. Provencher
Richard, I sincerely hope Susan is progressing and you are all still being remembered in my prayers. I must apologise to you Richard for the remark I put in my first comment It was my attempt at encouraging you to continue to write but I got it wrong. I did not mean to use your thread as a jumping off point to tell everyone of my crisis of confidence. I am so sorry. Moya

Dear Moya, Susan is to finally come off induced coma Thursday, tomorrow. Everyone is waiting to see how she progressed during this period. No apologies required re your confidence. Just know that we are rooting for you, and that should be a little help. Pray for others, do volunteer work, help your neighbour in some small way, ie back a pie for her; do her dishes for a day; invite her for breakfast; etc. (Simple helping incidents are often more meaningful). Ta-ta, from Richard & Esther.
Richard L. Provencher
Richard, Then we must all pray for her extra hard. I do what I can to help our branch of Parkinson's UK and my neighbours are younger so don't really need any help from me. Best wishes to you and Esther and of course to Susan. Moya

Thank you so much, Moya. Richard & Esther
Richard L. Provencher
Richard L. Provencher
Richard L. Provencher