Ever been so knackered...

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ever been so knackered...

... you could just fall over and die.

That's how I felt yesterday. After three long and very very very muddy days at WOMAD, where every step involved heaving your welly out of the bog and lurching forwards, I was all done in.

We even stayed an extra night (we normally drive home on the sunday night) to try and get some energy up (and to avoid driving about in the bog in the pitch dark).

Monday was OK at first. We both felt that we had a little bit of 'go' left in us but after the walk to the car from the campsite with our gear our tanks were down to zero again. We stopped on the motorway for 'full English' and large cappucinni which got us home - and then slept for 15 hours.

I feel almost normal today.

The music was fab though!

Where and when did you feel that tired?

After my first night shift at a listening post in Berlin, I'd been in the city 4 days and hadn't been to bed. I was only 21 though.
Working nine till eight six days a week at the mo, I'm adjusting but found it tiring the first couple of weeks. What gets me though is having to devote my only day off (sunday)to shopping, cleaning, bed changing and catching up on everything that I don't get done through the week. I worked a bar at the WOMAD festival for a couple of years. It was always mad busy but grat people attended and it was always a good festival. No when the scooter lads came earlier in the year, that wasn't always so peaceful.

I guess mine would the be the very first Lollapalooza in Seattle (1991? 1992? So long ago now, it seems). Being Seattle, it drizzled ALL DAY LONG. I had no wellies, nor raincoat, nor anything waterproof; I was down in the mosh pit for a lot of it, and, being only 5-foot something, nearly (very literally) suffocated in the crush of tall people around me. They had to lift me up and skootch me out around the stage. Around 9 pm I dragged myself, soaked to the bone and half-starved, back to my car and collapsed in the back seat, waiting for my housemate to come back. I missed all the best bands, who of course played later in the day: Siouxie and the Banshees, Jane's Addiction, Violent Femmes, etc. I was gutted. I was so ill the next day I couldn't even stand up. I think I had some sort of pneumonia. I rolled across the floor to the phone to ring my boss and tell him I wouldn't be in. I have never, EVER gone back to a long 'festive' concert since then. WOMAD, to me, would be the equivalent of Chinese water torture. No, in fact, I'd rather have the water torture. I've never understood the British love of sleeping in tents, by the thousands, in military rows in the middle of a quagmire for days on end. If I want world music, I'll buy the CD and listen to it on my nice velour sofa.
Enzo v2.0
Anonymous's picture
Don't talk to me about knackered, my girlfriend gave birth to a girl on Sunday. (7.57pm, 8lbs 2oz, all well with mum and baby)
Getting up in the morning... blimey! :-/ pe ps oid Blogs! "the art of tea" "that's an odd courgette"

The All New Pepsoid the Second!

Hurray - Congratulations Enzo's girlfriend! Three weeks ago I started a new job and coincidentally went out drinking four nights out of the five and then drove to Bristol to visit my brother at the weekend. He has a six month old baby - my complaints about being tired were treated with the derision they deserved.

Childbirth and parenthood.The young men in Mrs Ts entourage were spoken of sympathetically because they didnt get a lot of sleep.Pah! Even when the C section was planned going home resulted in several years of interrupted sleep per child.It was like feeling permenantly ill with a terrible flu.So I hope baby is one of those lovely miracles who master nice long nightime sleeps quickly.

single dad-dom! Not so much the daily routine - more the isolation and loneliness. Very emotionally tiring. Things are looking up, though. ;) When the power of love overcomes the love of power, we'll find peace. - Jimi Hendrix

~It's a maze for rats to try, it's a race for rats to die.~

Congratulations Ben!!! jude "Cacoethes scribendi" http://www.judesworld.net

Foster
Anonymous's picture
Congratulations to all three! And if you think the birth wore you out...just wait!
Congratulations to Ben's girlfriend, Ben and new baby! Just wait until you have three of them! I guess that's how you learn to withstand great fatigue and just get on with it. As for the thought of serried ranks of tents at a festival. It doesn't happen like that. The first people arrive and put up tents, then the next lot come and fill in the spaces and then the next lot arrive and fill in the spaces in the non existent spaces and then the next lot arrive...(and the ones who camp next to you play loud music all night, snore, fart and set light to themselves with any luck). I will admit that a couple of weeks before WOMAD we decided that it may be a tad damp this year and so went to the ridiculous expense of hiring a podpad. This is possibly the most preposterous accommodation ever invented but if you want a good laugh then see them here: http://www.podpads.com/what-is-a-podpad.asp We were dry at night though and the mattress was much appreciated!
I like festivals like ATP and Iceland Airwaves, ones with hot running water.

Congratulations Ben and co. What's the litle one called? Going to Solfest end of this month, can't wait. Four days, in a tent...with my son's feet! And I bet it's bloody pouring down the entire time. Still I'm an optimist, bkini top coming along for the ride.

!!!!!!!!!!!CONGRATULATIONS BEN!!!!!!!!!!! (Just back from Scotland - missed the good news) p.s. Ignore the book - I work for a condom manufacturer - it was lies all lies... xxx ~ www.fabulousmother.com
Enzo v2.0
Anonymous's picture
Many thanks all. She's called Elsie and she's doing well. Lou - I've been putting off referring back to your book. Maybe in a year or two..!
That's a beautiful name. My wife had an Auntie Elsie who was the long suffering wife of Uncle Alec. He was an archetypal Glaswegian - tiny bit of money in his pocket and down his gullet it went in liquid form. he lived in North London for years but never lost a drop of that very broad accent. I had spent many summers amongst Glaswegians so could actually understand him - I was the first person in his family who was able to do so! Elsie loved him dearly for all his faults and she was much loved by one all - one of those women who gives and gives and gives and asks nothing in return. A real gem.
Topic locked