Georgian England- books?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
Georgian England- books?

Bit of a random question, but can anyone recommend any good books set in Georgian England (ideally not overtly romantic like a Mills and Boon or anything)? I'm going to be away for a good few weeks and want something interesting to read- and I'm currently obsessed with this period. (It was Tudor England a few month back!).

I recently watched 'The Madness of King George' and it was superb- comical, distressing and thoroughly enjoyable and I want something equally as good in book form. Any thoughts? xx

I watched the film too, as one ofthe children had a severe form (2 types) of speech problem it was heart aching and funny at the same time. I found my old georgian poetry book at a church mini market - not sure if that's helpful. I'm not sure if it's stories of that period you are after rather than stories written at that period.

maisie angel Guess what?  I'm still alive!

Have just been reading a series of books by David Liss, set in the 1720s, the first being a conspiracy of paper - a sort of adventure novel set around eighteenth century finance, the south sea bubble etc. Not like the Madness of King George in any way, but good. The first book was published about ten years ago but feels very up to the minute in the way the corrupt bankers of yesteryear seem strangely familiar

Dear SC, I would recommend 'Sea Change' by Robert Goddard. It set in the year 1721 in the wake of the South Sea Bubble. The author was born in Hampshire in 1954 and read History at Cambridge. Hope you like the book.

Why not go back to the people writing then? The Restoration comedies are wonderful plays - and well worth reading - start with Congreve - or the books of Henry Fielding, especially Joseph Andrews. Or go the end of the century and read Ann Radcliffe - who was one of the founders of the Gothic tradition. Have fun!
I think "Gulliver's Travels" was written during the Georgian Era and Daniel Defoe's "Robinson Crusoe".
The first pub guide for London was apparently written in the 1720s. Only available in the British library unfortunately, though I suppose the 2011 edition is of more practical use anyway. Have just been reading Daniel Defoe's book on Jack Sheppard and Jonathan Wild, a really interesting bit of British social history.

Topic locked