Vampire romance's are now over the top.

32 posts / 0 new
Last post
Vampire romance's are now over the top.

I am truly sick of vampire romance's!

It seems that every novel i come across now is some sort of vampire/human love story and i am hugely bored with that subject.
Why is it that one decent mythological novel is written and then 100 more copy's have been brought out with exactly the same story line, and people are actually getting excited about it? I fail to see how the same story in different books are a good read.

To be sure, I'm quite sick of it too! B. Stoker
I feel quite drained by the whole experience. M Harker

Glad to see im not the only one. Pip Conn

SqueakyDuck

I think we're all in agreement with you. It's bandwagon madness and unfortunately the forces of marketing. The trouble is, publishers in their rush to make a quick buck on the back of one lucky hit, probably miss some damned good writers in other genres. In some ways you can't blame them. They're in busines to make money, but it still irks. Unfortunately the publishing world has changed greatly from even twenty years ago, you only have to look at the plethora of books on sale written by so-called TV stars, personalities and celebrities. If you've got a name (TV), don't worry about learning the craft of writing. You'll get your book published regardless. YUK! I know, sour grapes and all that. These books (and the kiss-and-tell variety) seem to appear overnight and are in the main ghostwritten, while a short story for a magazine can be sitting around for nearly a year before the editor makes a decision on it. Quite an amazing state of affairs really.
Well i truly hope that this 'craze' dies out soon, i believe this has become over the top because the majority of teenagers are in love with the subject. Someday true, original writiers will get their spotlight back, and these crispy over rated vamp writers will have to take a back seat :) P.Connelly

SqueakyDuck

Me too, not that I've anything against any genre - everyone to their own - it's just a little irritating when it's all or nothing. There is a paralysing fear of failure and a lack of imagination with many publishers today. Best wishes TM
It's just the current spirit of the times, who know's in 3 years time every other book being published will be about aliens visiting earth through our unconscious minds, then someone will write a hit book about it, and a few others will bring there book out at the same time about it, and yet they never knew each one was writing it. Interesting tale I was once told, when Dennis the menace was first introduced to the uk, (the red and black uk version) over in america at around about the same time an american dude brought out exactly the same idea but with blonde hair, they both swear neither had any knowledge of the other. I think its something do with the collective conscious of modern day man, the idea's come from our unconscious. everything original ever written comes from there. Its like a well of ideas the whole world has access too, but only a minority know how to tap into it. Right now the unconscious spirit of the times is fixated on the idea of vampires and immortality.

Until we feel our thoughts our thinking remains unfelt

Hi Will, yes I think you may have something there, especially about the colective consciousness theory. The older I get the more cynical I become though. Anyway, let's hope for a shift in collective consciousness which will benefit a few more of us one day. Good luck.
The next big thing is books about Umpires, D.Bird
Won't all that fake blood make for a sticky wicket? I'll get my lab coat. W.G.Grace.
Apparently, even agents are sick of it :)

"The Pear Drop Girl was gone."

Good to know [: P.Connelly

SqueakyDuck

Sorry I missed this thread but I've been in the bath. I think the stories are bloody good! I can't get enough of that stuff. Elzabet Bathory.

Helvigo Jenkins

Elzabet! Is that really you? V.Tepes.
Vlad, my darling. Of course it's me. Hope you are well. I trust the business is good. No-one seems to appreciate a decent impaling these days. Those were the days, eh? Elzabet.

Helvigo Jenkins

I agree - far too many in the market now. Imagination seems limited to the latest flavour of the month. This extends to television, movies and, to a lesser extent, new music as well. It is almost as though most 'artists' don't create, they regurgitate. How boring!

All my very favourites here! Let's have a discussion we can really get our teeth into. Nosferatu
Aah, so here you all are. I've been searching for you all. Just let me get my little mallet and sticks and things ... Van Helsing (Prof)

Helvigo Jenkins

Elzabet, where do you find all those virgins? Do you nip across the border to Hungary? I have trouble finding victims who have been chaste all day, never mind their whole lives! Nosser
Try N'wawlins, Mr Feratu. A.Rice
Hi, Nosser. Yes, Hungary is very good especially when I'm, hungry. Tee hee. But if you really want to know, deep, dark places are best, like mines and pits. Personally, I shop in Austria, at Ingrid Pitt's. Elzabet

Helvigo Jenkins

Mr Peaceful, I make a point of avoiding stakes and garlic, although I am very fond of a porterhouse blue. Elzabet, I was at Hammer House the other day and Christopher mentioned the very shop. If they don't have any he says he usually goes to Valerie Leon's in Chiswick. N.Osferatu
Do they sell anything other than ra-ra skirts? B. Uffy

I don't know about you guys but I'm going Goth. Vlad.

The names you have all come up with! Ofcourse once everyone was intregued to learn of these long-living cannibals, when at first written in fiction, how much of it was true in strange lands brasov, none of these teenies reading twilight will be inclined to go & research. Pagamus D.T. Same as pirates, what has Jack-a-sparrow done?! I am afraid most children will have no curiosity left do writers continue this way. When I was young our history lessons of King Arthur & the local legends were inspiration enough!

"I will make sense with a few reads \^^/ "

Mimbled over this for a bit :-) No curiosity for history? I beg the success of Terry Deary and his Horrible Histories collection, much in the tradition of Hogarth et al: http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/art/features/naughty-by-... (Flagged up on Arts and Letters Daily) How subtexts diffused through modern communication and artforms inform and engage children has much to to with traditional forms of cultural exchange of information. Perhaps recent western populist media and entertainment's cyclical return to European mythology assuages an anthropological need for belief in something other than C19th empiric tyranny and reflects a commercial opportunity to fill a void. Is there an imperative human requirement to believe in something greater than self.. ..and will post reformation Britain inevitably take the P*>> out of it, whilst propagating myths according to pecuniary advantage ? :D

Well, lenchenelf, I had to look up a few of words then! I see what you mean & horrible histories are great, though I just thing books like twilight is all mush! I would rather read a historic novel that is atleast half true. American writer sharon Penman s book Here be Dragons, is part fiction which makes it a good read, and also a lot of good facts you can look up & learn about. I dont think you can say much wrong about my King Arthur stories, I always hold the magic & myths in them as historical truth. :D

"I will make sense with a few reads \^^/ "

I do admit, i am a fan of Anne Rice, but i guess that is because she isnt a copy of years of vampire novels, she wrote interview with a vampire, Lestat and Queen of the damned, they were all lovely reads. P.Connelly

SqueakyDuck

Interestingly, this has just been flagged on A&L Daily http://chronicle.com/article/All-the-Dead-Are-Vampires/65829 Could be something to get our teeth in to. ;)

Topic locked