One post one comment

32 posts / 0 new
Last post
One post one comment

Did the idea that each time you post you should make at least one comment go by the board?

I was busy telling someone how much I enjoyed writing on ABCTales and how good it has been for me, and I do like read numbers and cherries, but his first question was about whether people provided critique. I couldn't honestly say to the guy that I'd had lots of feedback here. Maybe I'm unusual in this, but if I get a comment from someone I'm surprised & that's despite what seem to me to be quite reasonable read scores.

Having said that I think the poets are better than the short story writers.

In any event, my rule is still to comment at least once when I post.

I do the same - or did - until some quite vituperative reactions to several comments I made. I do still comment on some material, but rarely until I find out from a writer's reactions to others' comments whether it's worthwhile or just going to unleash the usual 'it's-my poem-punctuation/spelling-doesn't matter-who-do-you-think-you-are-etc.' shit-storm. I am relatively polite in any critique I do give, by the way.
It's a bit of a shame if people can't take constructive criticism. Just so you know Ewan, if ever you feel moved to comment in any way on one of my stories I shall take it in good grace.
That's a brilliant idea! One post, one comment. I don't remember reading it before. It would be a good suggestion to put on the homepage wouldn't it?

I'm sure it used to be...
I just looked and it's not there. Not in the FAQ either

Oh well, I definitely remember something about it...Can't be two people imagining it, can it?
it could be - like mass hysteria?

I think that Mr Cook would surely be able to confirm that Ewan and I are neither a mass nor hysterical.
Speak for yourself! Hohoho!
With ref. to Ewan's post, I used to comment far more than I do , but it wasn't with the intention of pinning out a dissected piece in the manner of a butterfly collector. As you say, it isn't always appropriate or welcomed. There is a wealth of talent here, sometimes it's pleasant to acknowledge that you've read a piece and derived SOMETHING from it as a thank you to the author.

I think it is important to give & recieve comments, compliments, advice & constructive criticism. I have never had a comment that offended me atall, just compliments & all lot of helpful advice, especially in my spelling & the only time I suggested a change to actual content it was taken very well & like at the end of that notice said it could be someones dreams you walk upon!

"I will make sense with a few reads \^^/ "

(post removed. since I don't anticipate any actualy change of rules, I'll keep my peace.)
"If I send you post-cards from the side of the road: photographs of movies, and hearts about to implode"  -  Elliott Smith
I completely agree with Kahdai and like the idea. I've learnt so much reading and commenting on other's work and have never been offended when someone has taken the time to read my work and offer me advice or encouragement. I would like to see this become as standard as the '3 posts a day' has done.

I'm new to abc and also new to forum posts, but I too agree with the previous comments. As a writer, I thrive off people's comments or criticisms; I am still learning everyday so any opinions about my work is completely appreciated, and necessary! To date I've had about three or four comments on all of my pieces and it would be nice to get a little more feedback, positive or not (I'm a big girl and I think I can take it!) I try to leave comments on every post I read, if only a line or two, in the hope that it puts a smile on the writer's faces to know that somebody read their work and took the time out to comment on it. Some brilliant writers on here who deserve to know just how good they are:)
Foster
Anonymous's picture
When I was more active on the site, I formed relationships with people whose writing I respected, and we would give fairly in-depth critiques of each others work, but via email. We'd post the stories here, of course. This was in the days prior to commenting below a story. So reach out to your fellow writers - some may be hesitant to post a critique on the site, but an email might be okay.
I'll re-post it on the Home page and make a deal out of it in the next newsletter. Thankyou for reminding me!
Personally, I don't want to comment on anybody's work just because I'm required to, much less have people commenting on mine for any reasons other than that they admire or spontaneously have some constructive criticism.
"If I send you post-cards from the side of the road: photographs of movies, and hearts about to implode"  -  Elliott Smith
Commenting to fill a criterea is a bad idea. Articulate when you are compelled but oherwise there is no comment so this action would be forced and conceited, i would hate to think that was the case as a creator deserves more than a pity nod. I have had comments off you in the past Ewan, always been helpful and i hope they benefitted me but i would never say i was a good writer so yo guys can decide. I am also aware that i do not comment enough but i would not change out of misguided altruism.
I don't think anyone's saying it should be compulsory, just a suggestion, to remind people

Excuse me, i misunderstood haha:@) that changes everything then really, fair enough. Whilst i'm here i sould say i enjoy writing on here, even though i sometimes sporadically remove all my stuff and go back to pen and the back of bills and cereal boxes. Tcook is also a massive help and always brings me to task on my bad to horrific grammar as well offering good opinions on structure, form etc, thankyou for that. So yes, i have benefited greatly from all your comments and i take back my nonsense about altruism, peace!
I would hate to think that I had suggested making something compulsory. That is not at all my thing. However, that it should be expected or customary to comment on some other work, I think would be good for the site. Clearly I did not call for people who don't ever comment to be ostracised. For me, at its best, this site would function like a huge on-line writers' group with advice and critique flying about as much as stories and poems.
It was completely my mistake, not yours
Ofcourse you shouldn't have to, when you get a comment from another writer, you read some of their writing & sometimes just give an opinion even if it's just O I like this! It's nice & if you think someone is a much better writer & they compliment you it means a lot. I do have some favourite writers, who I always try to comment on anything new. I think it's nice to see a familiar name & also to value all opinions. Then sometimes I am stubborn & won't change a thing. :)

If I am moved, touched, had a similar moment in my life or just simply captivated by someone's writing style, I will comment. Generally, it's a spontaneous desire to say "wow, this person has to know how great this is!" I have always given pretty warm comments. If I see something that could be improved or corrected, I will say so but not in a manner that is ... going to upset anyone. But of course, I agree with the above in that if you are hesitant to leave obvious comments, send emails. I know I personally love reactions to my work. It helps me improve my writing and I would think that most others would feel that way. Then again, I could be wayyy off base there. :)

rules, boxes, and those laws that AREN'T "laws" like time for tea Why can't we free be?
Since I last posted I have had some unbelievably helpful advice from other writers on here which has given me another perspective of my work which I wouldn't have ever been able to reach on my own. thanks to supportive and positive criticism I am starting to look at the way I write in a whole new way. I agree that when you receive advice from a writer who you personally think is much more talented than you are, it really does make a difference. I also enjoy the little comments just to say that somebody was moved enough by certain pieces to feel the need to mention it. I also agree with Kropotkin's vision for the site - personally I have been searching for a place like this for what seems like forever and am relishing the freedom we are all given here. That freedom should extend to the issue of one post one comment, also. If you don't feel the need to comment, then don't. If you have no criticism to offer, then don't. But if you do, please do! It really does make a whole lot of difference to amateurs like me who could really do with the help and expertise of other writers. Rachel xx
Sorry about that, I just reflexively corrected my spelling of advice and it put my comment back to the bottom........ doh! I guess one has to live with one's forum spelling mistakes. Put the whole discussion out of order now.
or put it under as a reply wouldn't that put it in order?

I think we had a useful conversation here, such as it was. It's good to exchange visions for the site, there's certainly nothing wrong with 1 story 1 comment for those who choose to participate, as long as that's what it is. I do think that a site with community and active feed-back is also nourished when writers increase their creativity and get to the heart of things that matter, and that people care about. To give you some perspective, poems often fly out my head fully formed. But I'm mentally ill and much of the time am truly incapable of reading and giving constructive feed-back. Today, I am going to find a story by someone who's commented on my pieces and do just that. friendly regards, Sean
The only reason I posted my story here was to receive criticism. If my story was good enough for publication, it wouldn't be here, it would be in a book. I see so far 17 people have read it and not a single bit of feedback or comment. I am beginning to think this is not the right site for me to be posting my work.
And, of course, you have provided an in-depth critique of dozens of people's work yourself?
Topic locked