Who should win the Red Dress/Park Bench Comp?

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
Who should win the Red Dress/Park Bench Comp?

The entries are in - take a look at them on the Home Page. Then tell us here who you think should win. The judge is Trevor Dolby, Senior Publisher at Preface Publishing and he won't be swayed by your views but it will be interesting to see if there is a consensus.

All I can say is that I wish I could write half as well as the some of the entries attracted :-) I've thoroughly enjoyed reading all of them.

I have just spent the day travelling to Colchester and back (in order to set up the next comp - more on that at a later date) - and David K and I spent the journey reading all of the entries. Let me say that in the almost ten years of ABCtales we have never had such an incredibly high standard - especially in the prose section. There isn't a bad entry there and Trevor's job in judging is incredibly difficult. Our congratulations to all the entrants.
The collective quality is simply unreal. It just goes to show what a little challenge can do. It's exciting, cheap to enter and lots of fun. Congrats to the organisers and thanks for taking the time; it's like the Eurovision - although obviously with real talent involved lol. Well done to whoever wins it, there is some fantastic stuff here. ;)
Does that mean that Tony is our Terry Wogan?!! I have read quite a few of the entries already and think that everybody has made a huge effort - the 'fit the two phrases in' challenge has turned all of our brains inside out and been a real challenge to which everyone has risen! I keep choosing a new favourite, then reading more and finding it harder to decide... J x

Know what you mean Jen. It's like being in a sweet shop and the proprietor is telling you that you can choose one item but only one. I wouldn't like the job of judging this one. Chris
It all just goes to show what a very good idea the competition has turned out to be. I can't chose and it will be a difficult but I'm sure pleasant task for the judge. Regards Colin(abbacus) www.colincampbell.org
I think that the prose far outweighs the poetry though. I suspect that the challenge was more suited to prose and that's the reason - but I am knocked out by the standard of entries.
When is the judging likely to be concluded because I don't know about the rest of you but the tension is really building. It's like the end of 'Britain's Got Talent' where they say; ..and the winner is....lol
Leave me alone, I'm off to the Priory.
Priory? Is that not cheating?
No, it's what you do when you don't win. I've seen it on the telly.
Oh right; hang on I'll get me coat.
There have been some absolutely brilliant entries into this competition. I have tried to read them all but am sure I've missed a few along the way. My favourite story is still Jennifer Pickup's marvellous story titled 'Red Dress'. It has all the elements that appeal to me. Choosing a single poem, however, is a particularly hard task. I don't envy the judge's job one little bit.

Agree with Dynamaso To a great degree about Jennifer's story yet I can't get Jasper-Milvains brilliant Carolines Dress out of my head. I thought that was such a beautifully written piece. Agree about the poetry, not such an enviable task. I would hate to be the judge. Good luck to everyone the standard is really high.
Trevor has shortlisted - and all of your favourites are on there - but he won't pass down his final judgement until June 22nd or thereabouts! So hang on to your hats until then...
Hi. I'm new here and still trying to find my way around. Is there a short list of entries posted somewhere?

mariaduffy

No - I'll reveal who made that in the 'highly commendeds' when the prizes are given out. Keep your collective fingers crossed!
Hi all, This is the first comp I've ever entered and it is largely thanks to the friendly encouragement and constructive comments I have received from everyone who has left me note that I had the confidence to have a go at the challenge. I've loved reading all the entries, don't envy the judge at all. Just wanted to say thanks to you all, Fran
Wow, am so flattered to be mentioned, thank you so much for reading and enjoying and expressing that you liked the story. I really am very flattered, I very rarely manage a short story, I find them very hard, but this one slipped out somehow! I think the standard is so, so good, am trying to read them all, so hard to choose! Just an incredibly good collection as a whole - could we publish them in an anthology and sell them for a homeless charity (park bench) and a women's shelter (red dress) or something? J x

Brilliant idea, Jennifer - could there be a number of real life stories from people who are homeless at the end of the anthology? My parents help run a homeless charity in Brighton and might well be up for this kind of project to help give homeless people a bit of a voice (if they wanted it, of course). Anyway, good luck - sounds as though you've a few fans already. W
Hello! I was just wondering if there were any updates on the judging? Any new ideas on when the winners will be announced? Thanks ;) Magic xxx

Hello? Anybody there?

Topic locked