Where Are You From?

79 posts / 0 new
Last post
Where Are You From?

With all the recent discussion about ABCTales events and the fact I can't get to any of these as I live on the other side of the world, I've been wondering whether there are writers and poets from Australia who use this site like I do and if they'd be interested in meeting up and holding our own event.

Also, I am curious about the general population makeup of the site. You don't have to give me your address or anything (I'm not going to stalk you) but I'd find it interesting to know where everyone lives.

Cheers,

Mark

I live in Denmark ;)Pia
Thanks for letting me know, Pia.

This is a question I have asked in the past but with no response. I live in England in a place called Handforth in the county of Cheshire.

I don't think there's any harm in it aslong as no one gives out their full home address. I live in Scotland and was born in Scotland although my mother was born in England and my father born in India.
I was in London but now am up north in Harrogate, which is way too posh for me and I feel like an interloper.
I live in Bury St Edmunds in Suffolk. Perhaps you should take a little holiday over here dynamaso - come to the next reading!

I live in Gnawfolk, where the rivers form the X in the centre of the county... and on rogation day we have to beat the bounds in order to dislodge the devils...

maisie angel Guess what?  I'm still alive!

I replied to this post earlier this morning. But my comment seems to have gone missing. I think it's a great idea. I love the idea of Gnawfolk Maisie. I live in Surrey. (England!)
I am also a denizen of Gnawfolk, specifically the fine city of Naarch, where two rivers meet. In the shape of a wobbly Y. On its side.

'Art is not a mirror to reflect reality, but a hammer with which to shape it.'

a wobbly y on its side. i haven't seen that bit, i saw the ghostly giants by the cow tower tho... amazing stuff...

I come from Wiltshire, not far from Stone Henge. A beautiful part of the country.

Kilburn, London. A place that's unfamiliar with sanity and sobriety in combination. Rob

Hi everyone, thanks very much for your responses. As I figured, a lot of you are from the UK. But I seriously doubt I am the only antipodean here. Gnawfolk? Is that outside Ankh-Morpork? Or closer to Chirm? (Apologies to those unfamiliar with Prachett's Discworld). Blighters, thanks very much for the advice, mate. I'm going to start a group on a 'meet-up' site and see if I can get a regular night happening. Using community radio and posting flyers in local libraries is a great idea too. Thanks again. Poncey, I would love to visit - I have friends in London who I haven't seen for a long time plus a numbe of folk from here I'd love to share some time with.

Greetings from bonnie Scotland. At the moment, with half a tree lying on the grass in the park outside my window, felled by yesterday's rather strong winds, and looking like a crime scene surrounded by yellow CSI-like tape, some may not find it quite as bonnie as usual. But I think it looks great and would love to be young enough to go play on it. Best of luck in Australia, Dynamaso. I think the idea of regional events supported by ABCTales would be a great idea. So if anyone in the Glasgow area wants to discuss the possibilities I'd be interested.
Foster Trecost
Anonymous's picture
Grew up in New Orleans, now I live in Philadelphia, but there've been lots of places in between, including a few years in Italy that passed way too fast - think I might go back one day. I've met only one ABCtale'r in person, maddan, and that was a real treat.
I'm from The Netherlands but I've been studying in the UK and was lucky enough to attend an ABC Tales event. I wish Australia was closer!

I'm from Essex. Nuf said.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I believe there are a few from the US here, Foster, so you're in good company, I guess. Maggy, while being closer would make it easier for travel and to meet some of the wonderful folk I've made acquaintance with here, being isolated has given Australia a unique point of view, I believe.

Thanks Biggus - seems as though there are a few ABCTalers living in the Surrey area so you're in good company.

perhaps we should have regional abc events and snitch time on radio - podcast - etc, our poetry n prose to the nation. Complete with cup of tea and currant buN?

I'm in Devon, nestling on the edge of Dartmoor - fine when the weather is good and vicious when it isn't. A bit like the locals. Ooarrr, gimme a point o'syder....
We've had a fair number of antipodeans over the years - notably anthony jucha whose World Cup wanderings were much appreciated. Find them here: http://www.abctales.com/user/anthonyjucha We also had a fearsome stalker from the land of the crims - he had just got out of jail for murder! Fear not - he's blocked!
that's beautiful ftse!

that's terrible. I hope you have a gas mask to put on

Thanks again to all for your responses. FTSE - you live in a very beautiful part of the world. You're also the first Welshman to respond. Tony, thanks for pointing out Anthony Jucha's posts. Most Aussies would take exception to the 'land of crims' comment, usually by either robbing you or bashing you or, if you're lucky, both. Thankfully, I'm not like most Aussies :D

Am from north wales where it used to be all in welsh, now am in south wales everyone speaks english so I do now. I have found someona am near FTSE! I like to ride through trelech singing when we have petrol :)

"I will make sense with a few reads \^^/ "

You know D I was brought up in Sydney and left for Denmark at age 16- this is many years ago- have not been back since but my younger sister lives in Coff's Harbour !!
FTSE, I hope I haven't offended you with my assumption. Regardless of how you got there, it looks like a nice spot to settle. Kahdai, looks as though you're the first Welsh person to respond, unless you were born elsewhere too. Pia, Sydney is where I live at the moment, although my wife and I want to move to Cairns. Where abouts did you live when you were here?

Hej D - I lived in the Eastern suburbs- Woollahra- I'm not sure whether I spelt that right? Oh dear it's such a long time ago. I left in 1971. I went to Double Bay Public and Dover Heights High school and spent a lot of time at Bondi beach. ;-)). We also spent our holidays on the Hawkesbury River. A very beautiful time. I have a lot of wonderful memories from my time in NSW. Also got to travel the country- Queensland, Northern Territory and Western Australia and Victoria. I was very fortunate to have a step-father with a small plane. Where do you live?
At the moment, my wife and I live in Maroubra, in a lovely old small 1930s flat with fantastic views of both the ocean on one side and Botany Bay on the other. We both feel blessed to be living in such a beautiful, peaceful place. I spent my teenage years in Mona Vale (the northern beaches of Sydney) and went to school in Manly (many, many years ago). I think you've seen more of Australia than a lot of Australians. I've traveled the land extensively but know many who, while they've spent lots of time overseas, have seen very little of their home country.

Yes I feel lucky that I have been able to travel the country. It is a bit difficult to because the distances are so great but it really does give an insight I wouldn't be without. I'm afraid to admit that I really don't think I would be able to cope with the hot climate nowadays. I know Mona Vale and Manly- I remember the Manly ferry from Circular Quay. Sounds like a lovely place you live in in Botany Bay-must be beautiful with the ocean view. Thank you for telling me about it- I get a bit nostalgic. I feel blessed that I have had the opportunity to experience such a foreign scenery to the Nordic. But I do feel very much at home now in the Northern Hemisphere. Thank you very much Mark for telling me about it- I really appreciate it. atb ;)Pia
i reside in the exotic climes of north Northamptonshire , in the charming little hamlet of Corby, which you maybe interested to learn, was once voted the 9th worst place to live in Britain a few yrs ago. However i was born in Scotland in Aberdeenshire, near a little village called Insch.
Hi Flash- do you like living there- that is the most important thing? Personally I don't care much for living in the town I am in but I am doing something about it by moving to another town I would much rather live in. atb ;)Pia
I'm comfortable living here Highhat, despite its dubious character traits and reputation , it's a friendly little town that i'm used to and to be honest one i don't think i'll be leaving anytime soon. Another little snippet about the place is , that because of the influx of Scottish people here in the last 70 yrs , to work at the massive steelworks plant, the town is also know as Little Scotland.
Hi Flash that sounds really homely. I'm glad you got back to me. I'm also glad to hear that you are quite content to live there. Wonderful!
Hi Flash I know a little of Corby. It used to be the home of the Midas kit car. I had one, a really great drive with a lightly tuned mini engine. I think the works was set up there to take advantage of the regeneration low rents. Pleased to hear the steel works has come back home!
Alas Geoffrey i was talking of bygone days , when the Steelworks Plant was a leviathan in size and employed many thousands in the town , and indeed many from the nearby local villages and small towns. Now it's a mere miniscule shadow of its former self.
I live in a small village called Oakley near Aylesbury in Buckinghamshire. Claims to fame: 1. It's where the Great Train Robbers hid out after the robbery. 2. Nutjob David Icke used to live here. 3. Colin and Johnny Greenwood of Radiohead used to live here. 4. Max Mosely, son of Oswald has a house here, but no-one seems to have ever seen him. 5. There's a disused second world war airfield which was used for the opening scenes of Octopussy. 6. From the corner of the car park of the Royal Oak you can see five continents. Shy

Pia, it is a lovely place to live and, as I said, we constantly feel blessed. And I honestly believe Sydney Harbour is one of the most picturesque in the world. Flash, why was Corby voted the 9th worst? Just curious... Thanks for letting me know where you are too. Shy, Oakley sounds like a interesting place to live. Thanks for letting me know.

Anyone think if you live in a country longest its where your from or where your born? K

"I will make sense with a few reads \^^/ "

You can mention where you are born but the important thing is where you feel at home- i.e where you live- ;)Pia
Kahdai, as I've only ever lived in one country, it is hard for me to answer such a question but I would imagine, as Highhat has said, home is where you feel most comfortable and happiest.

Pia, I agree - I live in Sydney but I know my 'home' is in North Queensland, where my wife and I intend to live in the future.

Hi Mark, I'm happy in the area I live in and will be moving to another town nearby- but close to the capital- this is where I love to live. I like city life. My childhood in Sydney is a very fond memory with some beautiful adventures in the wild beyond. Well the climate in Northern Queensland will suit you better then. I have grown to love the changing seasons in Europe. We seem to have it all here. When winter changes to Spring it is such a wonderfully optimistic time of year. I have travelled a bit but I wouldn't change this place for anything. ;)Pia
The shy assassin should change his pub, or stop drinking whatever they sell. I doubt you can see five continents at the same time even from space, let alone the corner of the Royal Oak car park. Take my advice Shy and don't drive home.
Pia, my wife and I pine for a tropical life, particularly now winter is here in the southern states. We're going to Broome in north west Australia in October for a friends wedding, which will give us our fix of lovely warm weather, alhough not soon enough. We're also planning on travelling overseas next year with plans to drive the West coast of the States first before going to London to visit some friends. Hopefully, I might be able to meet up with a few ABCTalers while we're there.

Hi Mark- I can quite sympathise to wanting to live in the tropics. I wouldn't mind it either as I do like the warm weather but that would be too much of an extreme from Northern Europe. But I am really enjoying our summer which is perfect. I have been in Broome and it is beautiful and hot. A lot of Bougainvilleas growing there and I believe there used to be pearl fishers? That is quite an adventure the trip you are planning to the States. Yes I hope you get to meet some ABCtalers in London. Do tell me if you visit Copenhagen and I will give you a few tourist tips! ;)Pia
Pia, we'd love to do a big trip around Europe too but finances being what they are, we'll have to save that for another time. We're very much looking forward to our trip to Broome. I have a few relatives living in the area I haven't seen for many years, so it should be a fun-filled trip. And you're right, the area used to be a big pearl fisher area but not so much now. The main industry now is eco-tourism.

Hi Julie, I've been a bit disappointed I haven't had any responses from people living in Australia, but am very pleased with all the responses from everyone else. My wife loves Brighton (she lived in London for a number of years). Thanks for the good wishes -I'm exploring options with some other poetry groups here in Australia.

Pages

Topic locked