The Universal Intelligence Hypothesis
1. Why would we say that an animal possesses some level of intelligence? Because a) They are aware b) they can rationally think about information that that awareness brings them c) they can then react to or act upon that information and some may even alter their environment by making tools
2. Is the universe intelligent? Well, a) Human beings are part of/a property of the universe (and there may be other intelligent alien life in the universe) b) Human beings are intelligent c) human beings use that intelligence, via tool making, to alter the body of the universe.
3) And if we pare that down even further we can end up with a) a part of the universe b) is intelligent and c) alters the body of the universe
4) Pare it down further and you end up with "the universe possesses intelligence and that intelligence alters its body".
5) Is that very different to the statement, "humans possess intelligence which they use to alter their environment".
6) My question is this, "Is the human race, acting collectively, the mind and senses of the universe, effecting change to its own body through the changes we make to it via human technology".
Notes- You might argue, "The universe does not resemble an organism, it is not connected up like an organism" but that objection falls flat if you say "We, the human race are the only mind, senses and limbs of change of an infant universe/that grew out of the infant universe" because the human race IS connected up by communication and perhaps as humans spread outwards through space colonization they will connect up the universe, via communication and transport, so that it does then resemble an adult organism with a nervous system.
Why this is an attractive philosophy? - It provides humankind with a manifest destiny. If human beings are like the brain of the universe (and we find no other intelligent tool making alien beings on other planets) then human beings are meant to be the governors of the universe but it also provides human beings with a natural moral framework: if we are the brain of the universe then we should be acting, together, in the interests of the body of the universe; in the interests of our environment.