Why the Police Uniform Should Be Reserved For Specific Circumstances Like Home Visits
Get rid of police uniforms except in specific circumstances, for example, where you are making a visit to a persons house. Make all police officers plainclothes police officers except when a uniform is essential.
1) It is a bigger deterrent to criminals if they can never be certain that there isn't a policeman nearby.
2) Patrolling police constables (community police officers) are more likely to catch criminals in the act if they are plainclothes police officers in an unmarked car. Criminals seeing a police car or uniformed officers coming can easily run away before the police arrive but they will not run away if they see an unmarked car driven by plainclothes officers.
3) If all police officers are plainclothed then all you have to do is put up a sign in an area saying, "This area is patrolled by plainclothes police officers" and it will a) make criminals avoid that area b) create instant comfort for people in that area.
4) What scares the conspiracy theorist with Orwellian nightmares; that there are police hiding everywhere watching, comforts Joe Public who is more afraid of criminals than the police.
5) Objection: If there are no police uniforms then it would make it easier for criminals to impersonate police officers.
6) Answer: That is why the police uniform should be reserved for specific circumstances like when the police have to visit someones house. The police uniform should be something that is used only when it is necessary rather than being worn at all times by police constables.